[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is poaching chicken?

Clubfoothead

Basically you steam it, as the boiling water should not touch it.

No, no, no. Poaching is gently simmering in liquid. The technique is good for chicken and fish as it will keep them moist, and cook them nicely without beating them up too bad.

Pour your white wine, pepper and chicken in a pot, bring to a low boil, then let it simmer for 10 minutes. DO NOT let it reach a rolling boil, just keep it at a simmer.

The water shouldn't touch it.... :D

Edited by Bonehand

No, no, no. Poaching is gently simmering in liquid. The technique is good for chicken and fish as it will keep them moist, and cook them nicely without beating them up too bad.

Pour your white wine, pepper and chicken in a pot, bring to a low boil, then let it simmer for 10 minutes. DO NOT let it reach a rolling boil, just keep it at a simmer.

The water shouldn't touch it.... :D

I think poaching can be done both ways:

Steam it, or if you don't have a steamer, use a little boiling water (so it is covering about a quarter to half the piece of meat) and maybe add some wine to the water, and cook it until just barely done. I usually use a saute pan for this. Steamers are inexpensive and found anywhere. If you use a steamer, you should use a full pot of water so the steam and a little bit of water hits the meat to keep it moist.

BTW, a double boiler won't work.

Poaching is a wet-heat cooking method whereby food is submerged in liquid and gently cooked. Shallow-poaching is a subtype of poaching in which the food is only partially submerged. Heat is transferred to the food via conduction, (direct contact with the hot liquid), and convection, (the movement of the fluid medium). The difference between poaching, simmering, and boiling is the temperature of the liquid. Poaching is from 160 to 185 degrees, simmering is beyond 185, and boiling is when you obviously achieve a full boil. These temperature differences are not arbitrary and have significant ramifications for the food to be cooked. The hotter the fluid, the more destructive it’s force, not only from the higher temperature but the increased turbulence as well. You would never put a fragile piece of fish into boiling water. The heat and agitation would disintegrate it. Therefore, the temperature of the poaching liquid should be checked during cooking with an instant read thermometer.

As stated, poaching is gentle cooking. The surface of the water should only be shimmering and devoid of any roiling bubbles. The foods best suited for poaching are naturally tender and delicate, e.g., fish, eggs, chicken and fruits. Common fluids used for poaching include water, stock, wine and court-bouillon, a broth made from water, wine, vinegar and/or citrus juice, aromatics and herbs. Sometimes the poaching liquid is employed only for cooking and sometimes the leftover liquid is incorporated into a sauce. Poaching liquids used only for cooking should be amply seasoned. All wet-heat cooking methods leach some flavor from the food. This can be offset by a flavorful poaching liquid. If the poaching liquid is to be used as a sauce, you may need to reduce it further once the food has finished cooking. This will depend on how much liquid you started with, how much is left over after poaching, and the target concentration of the sauce. If further reduction is required, place the food in another container with some of the liquid to prevent it from drying out while you prepare the sauce.

Poaching can be done with or without a lid. Covering the pan will increase the temperature of the poaching liquid. Thus, you will need to decrease the heat source accordingly to maintain the proper temperature. The lid will also inhibit the evaporation of the poaching liquid. This is a moot point if the liquid is to be used only for cooking and not for a sauce. But if the liquid is to become a sauce, and if reduction is required, the lid will thwart that effort, unless your plan is to do all the reducing after the item is cooked. For example, if you have just enough liquid to cover the food, and you wish to keep the food submerged throughout the cooking, then you would employ a lid and reduce the liquid afterwards.

Edited by Bier Meister

Sorry for any incorrect info.....the instructions for my steamer calls that "poaching", and I have some "poaching" pans that sit in the water, but the water does not touch the food. I had no fear that Bier would be along to set the record straight.

My recipie says "Poach the chicken in white wine, uncovered, seasoned with a dash of white pepper, about 10 minutes".

What the hell is that? Saute it in the wine?

:D

Thanks in advance.

walking over to the neighbors and shooting one of there chickens??

I ended up finding some instructions telling me to put the chicken, wine and pepper in a "boling bag" and putting that in water between 185 and 205 for 10 minutes. After looking at Kroger, Albertsons and Tom Thumb I substituted the word "grill" for "poach".

:D