[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears' Harris wants Donovan as Chi-town starter

Goopster24

Link

By BOB GROTZ

Journal Register News Service

PHILADELPHIA - Donovan McNabb is much more respected elsewhere judging by the comments of a couple of Pro Bowl talents helping the quarterback at his All-Star Kids Football Clinic yesterday.

Like in his hometown of Chicago, for example.

Bears Pro Bowl defensive tackle Tommie Harris went overboard in his praise of McNabb. Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, super sensitive about his ability, can expect to be cross-examined when the news reaches the Windy City.

"Donovan is a great guy, he's a positive guy," Harris said. "And I'd love to have him as my quarterback in Chicago.

"I know if he comes to the Chicago Bears, we can win the Super Bowl. If he comes to Chicago, we can definitely win the Super Bowl."

Bears fans might agree with Harris, who made his remarks without prompting. The Bears almost certainly would have been more competitive with a better performance at quarterback in their 29-17 Super Bowl XLI rain-soaked loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Then again, the issue with McNabb is health, for he was watching the game with an ice bag on his right knee.

Though McNabb began looking more and more like his old self in the last three practices of minicamp, the reality is despite all of his talents, he's missed chunks of three of the past five seasons beacause of an assortment of injuries, most recently a torn ACL in the right knee.

St. Louis Rams Pro Bowl wide receiver Torry Holt, after plugging the skill-set of former teammate and current Eagles pass catcher Kevin Holt, called McNabb "A Pro Bowl quarterback, a guy that easily could be an MVP in this league."

But while Holt blew off talk McNabb is staring at a make-it-or-break-it season, he tackled the obvious issue head-on.

"I don't know that it's a defining moment for him or a defining year for him," Holt said. "I just think it's a matter of him getting back on the football field and being healthy. We know when Donovan is healthy what he can do for a football team. And from what I'm hearing, just the energy of him coming back this last week off of the injury and the energy that he spread throughout the football team, it's obvious they want him as their leader.

"So, if he's healthy and he's headed in that direction I think the Eagles will be very, very, very good. And I think they have a good chance of getting back to the Super Bowl and winning one. So, in due time we'll see if he will be able to quote-unquote, get that monkey off his back and become quote-unquote that all-star quarterback that he is."

Harris and Holt joined McNabb, the Eagles' Sheldon Brown, Sean Considine and Hank Baskett, Jeff Garcia (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Chris Chambers (Miami Dolphins), Tony Richardson (Minnesota Vikings), Eddie George and Brian Mitchell, among others at the clinic.

Donte' Stallworth (New England Patriots), Michael Strahan (Giants) and Plaxico Burress didn't make it. Eagles head coach Andy Reid also sat it out.

McNabb's father Sam addressed the youth and No. 5 visited with groups of campers throughout the afternoon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time somebody from the Bears organization admits that it is time to look elsewhere if we want a chance at winning the trophy!

Kudos Tommie...kudos.

That might be the case but if you believe it is OK for one of the key defensive players on this team to say that...well at least I don't agree with that.

There is no doubt that the defense has been frustrated with Rex's inconsistent play. However, for a teammate to go out and say this, it raises an eyebrow and makes you wonder how divided the locker room might be. I am not happy with Tommie saying this and he should come out and clear up his statements and/or retract them. I wonder how this will boil down with the media tomorrow (Monday).

That might be the case but if you believe it is OK for one of the key defensive players on this team to say that...well at least I don't agree with that.

There is no doubt that the defense has been frustrated with Rex's inconsistent play. However, for a teammate to go out and say this, it raises an eyebrow and makes you wonder how divided the locker room might be. I am not happy with Tommie saying this and he should come out and clear up his statements and/or retract them. I wonder how this will boil down with the media tomorrow (Monday).

I don't see where Tommie stated anything like "Grossman needs to go". All I see is that Tommie thinks that McNabb would be a good fit in Chicago. He also thinks that we could win a Superbowl with McNabb behind center. I agree with him. Granted, you could perceive that as him thinking that Chicago can't win with Grossman and he has to go. However, that has already been empirically proven.

I feel that Champ Bailey would be a good fit in Chicago. Does that mean that I want Tillman out of Chicago (because he would lose his job)? I feel that Julius Peppers would be a good fit in Chicago. Does that mean that I want Ogunleye out of Chicago? Neither comment would be true.

It's one thing for the media to read too far into something and blow it out of proportion. But, now the fans... :D

Hell, the Bears could have won it last year with Brian Griese at QB, much less McNair. Ah well, it is the Bears, and that hardly generates memories of stellar QBs in the past 40 years or so...

You are forgetting perhaps the scintillating play of Bobby Douglas? What about Avellini, the poor man's Bob Griese?

All I see is that Tommie thinks that McNabb would be a good fit in Chicago. He also thinks that we could win a Superbowl with McNabb behind center. I agree with him.

Is it because of all the Super Bowls McNabb won in Philly? Or maybe, because of all the NFC Championships McNabb won in Philly?

Hell, the Bears could have won it last year with Brian Griese at QB, much less McNair. Ah well, it is the Bears, and that hardly generates memories of stellar QBs in the past 40 years or so...

Not sure about that. Griese looked like crap against the Packers in the New Year's Eve game. He may have been a better option than Rex if he had a couple months under his belt, but he was way too rusty to be a significant improvement at that point.

I don't see where Tommie stated anything like "Grossman needs to go". All I see is that Tommie thinks that McNabb would be a good fit in Chicago. He also thinks that we could win a Superbowl with McNabb behind center. I agree with him. Granted, you could anybody WOULD perceive that as him thinking that Chicago can't win with Grossman and he has to go.

Fixed. And that's exactly why it was insult to Rex. Even if it's true, you don't throw a teammate under the bus like that.

Fixed. And that's exactly why it was insult to Rex. Even if it's true, you don't throw a teammate under the bus like that.

+1. There's no other way of interpreting the comment at all.

This season will either see Grossman establish himself as a bona fide NFL QB or he'll be done, in Chicago anyway. There is no way on Earth they'll allow his position to be the one missing piece of the puzzle any longer than the end of November. All they really need is competence - if he can't display that consistently, he's going to be clipboarding or looking elsewhere in 2008.

Not sure about that. Griese looked like crap against the Packers in the New Year's Eve game. He may have been a better option than Rex if he had a couple months under his belt, but he was way too rusty to be a significant improvement at that point.

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round,....

This season will either see Grossman establish himself as a bona fide NFL QB or he'll be done, in Chicago anyway. There is no way on Earth they'll allow his position to be the one missing piece of the puzzle any longer than the end of November. All they really need is competence - if he can't display that consistently, he's going to be clipboarding or looking elsewhere in 2008.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, I don't like his chances. What I saw last year was a guy with all of the physical skills to be successful, but he tended to telegraph is reads, he didn't deal well with pressure at times, and he seemed to lack confidence. His blow-up during SB Media Week was a good example of the latter two points.

Methinks that the Bears end up going after McNabb in '08. They may have to deal away some of their defense, but they really, really need a competent guy under center.

+1. There's no other way of interpreting the comment at all.

I am still not seeing how Tommie is "throwing Rex under the bus". His opinion is that McNabb is a good guy and that he would give Chicago a bonafide shot at winning a Superbowl. His comments said nothing about Grossman not being able to accomplish the same feat. His comments don't even claim that McNabb would give Chicago a better shot than Grossman.

The subject surrounding his comment was McNabb. The reporter asked the other players what they thought of McNabb and Tommie stated his opinion.

Tory Holt was quoted in the same article stating that McNabb is an "all-star quarterback". Should Bulger take offense to that? Is this Holt saying that McNabb is an all-star and Bulger is not? I have not seen an quote in the past from Holt stating that Bulger is an "all-star quarterback". That must mean that Holt is throwing Bulger under the bus... :D

I am still not seeing how Tommie is "throwing Rex under the bus". His opinion is that McNabb is a good guy and that he would give Chicago a bonafide shot at winning a Superbowl. His comments said nothing about Grossman not being able to accomplish the same feat. His comments don't even claim that McNabb would give Chicago a better shot than Grossman.

The subject surrounding his comment was McNabb. The reporter asked the other players what they thought of McNabb and Tommie stated his opinion.

Tory Holt was quoted in the same article stating that McNabb is an "all-star quarterback". Should Bulger take offense to that? Is this Holt saying that McNabb is an all-star and Bulger is not? I have not seen an quote in the past from Holt stating that Bulger is an "all-star quarterback". That must mean that Holt is throwing Bulger under the bus... :D

Holy crap. When a player talks about a team being more successful if a player not even on the team or connected with it in any way at that time were with the team, the implication is clear, even if unspoken, that the player the team currently has on the roster isn't capable of getting the job done.

Why would Harris even speculate about McNabb taking CHI to a SB title? He should have been talking about the guys that are there, and in particular about Grossman, if he thought Grossman could get the job done. And if he thought Grossman was competent and someone brought up the McNabb hypothetical, he should have redirected the conversation right back to Grossman. That he doesn't think Grossman is competent is the only reason for him even engaging in hypotheticals about McNabb.

And :tup: at the strawman argument about Holt's comments about McNabb being a pro bowl player. How could that possibly be construed as Holt thinking that McNabb was better than Bulger? Holt made no reference to how much more successful STL would be with McNabb instead of Bulger at QB.

So use that :D smilie all you want.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Holy crap. When a player talks about a team being more successful if a player not even on the team or connected with it in any way at that time were with the team, the implication is clear, even if unspoken, that the player the team currently has on the roster isn't capable of getting the job done.

+1

Harris' comments were completely unprofessional and inapropriate.

It's about time somebody from the Bears organization admits that it is time to look elsewhere if we want a chance at winning the trophy!

Kudos Tommie...kudos.

I thinkif Tommie Harris were healthy the Bears could have won that game.

He's in no position to say something about another teammate until his own house is in order.

El Guapo.

He's in no position to say something about another teammate until his own house is in order.

That was my very first thought. If a guy is going to be running down a team mate in the press, he damned well better make sure that his crap doesn't stink first (even though he shouldn't be doing it in the first place). Harris sure as hell can't make that claim. He ought to worry about getting his own crap together & staying on the field before he start speculating about someone playing another position.

Wow, I like you, but we need a lesson in reading comprehension.

Edited by Goopster24