[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears' Harris wants Donovan as Chi-town starter

Goopster24

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something had to be said. You would think that Chicago would have learned their lesson with UofF QBs. But, apparently they haven't.

Whatever. Tommie Harris is the wrong guy to say it, with his sore ass not even being able to be on the field for the Super Bowl. The Colts beat the Bears 7 or 8 times out of ten, and the Bears caught them on one of those two or three chances. His absence contributed to the loss as well. He needs to drink a tall glass of shut th f up.

You go back one year and you'll find posts of mine stating Grossman should be dropped and the Bears should move on. What did he do in his first healthy season? Prove me wrong.

I want to see him slinging in a contract year. What's your better, realistic option? Daunte Culpepper?

I want to see him slinging in a contract year. What's your better, realistic option? Daunte Culpepper?

Since we have dropped the ball 2 years running now, unfortunately there isn't a better realistic option. However, Harris is 100% right. McNabb would give us a better shot to win a Superbowl.

If Tommie was implying the "death sentence" a few of you are accusing, then so be it. Why is he not entitled to his opinion? He has backed up his play on the field. #2 in DROY running in 2005, Pro-Bowl in 2006, and Pro-Bowl in 2007. I have heard a couple of guys here state that had Tommie played in the Superbowl, Chicago would have had a legit shot at winning. Goes to show Tommie is that big of an impact player for Chicago. If you recall, Orton didn't do to bad as a starter while Grossman himself was nursing his papercut a couple of years back. Grossman has done nothing that our #3 this year couldn't do.

But, Tommie never "called" Grossman out. He simply stated that McNabb is a good QB and that Chicago could win a Superbowl with him under center. Granted, Grossman is a hot-head. But, surely even he understands that McNabb is a better QB than himself.

I don't understand why you guys are head-hunting one of the best defensive tackles Chicago has had in a long time. I have followed Harris' career now for 7 years and he has never been known to not be a team player and/or talk smack of his own teammates. This is being taken way out of context.

Since we have dropped the ball 2 years running now, unfortunately there isn't a better realistic option. However, Harris is 100% right. McNabb would give us a better shot to win a Superbowl.

If Tommie was implying the "death sentence" a few of you are accusing, then so be it. Why is he not entitled to his opinion? He has backed up his play on the field. #2 in DROY running in 2005, Pro-Bowl in 2006, and Pro-Bowl in 2007. I have heard a couple of guys here state that had Tommie played in the Superbowl, Chicago would have had a legit shot at winning. Goes to show Tommie is that big of an impact player for Chicago. If you recall, Orton didn't do to bad as a starter while Grossman himself was nursing his papercut a couple of years back. Grossman has done nothing that our #3 this year couldn't do.

But, Tommie never "called" Grossman out. He simply stated that McNabb is a good QB and that Chicago could win a Superbowl with him under center. Granted, Grossman is a hot-head. But, surely even he understands that McNabb is a better QB than himself.

I don't understand why you guys are head-hunting one of the best defensive tackles Chicago has had in a long time. I have followed Harris' career now for 7 years and he has never been known to not be a team player and/or talk smack of his own teammates. This is being taken way out of context.

Harris might be 100% right, that is an opinion for one to form, but that doesn't mean one should say it. Just because it is the truth, doesn't mean it needs to be said. The fact is you stick with your teammates and you support them, through thick and thin. Following all the media bashing Rex has gotten, deservingly or not, I would hope that his teammates are there for him. I hope this statement isn't representative of the whole defense and what could end up being a divided locker room. That is exactly what this team doesn't need and as a fellow Bears fan, I think you would agree with that.

Tommie Harris has already retracted his statements and went on the radio to say sorry if he offended anyone on the team including Rex Grossman. Now whether you think that was a product of the media over-blowing this or us dumb fans, like me, over-blowing this, is another argument. The fact of the matter is that he said something you don't say in public, no matter how much you feel towards it. If the defense has a problem with Rex as their quarterback, they go to Jerry Angelo or Lovie Smith. They don't go on TV or radio or whatever and say that someone else should be the quarterback of the team. This reminds me of what Owens said of McNabb several years back, how if Favre was the quarterback, they'd be a better team? How is that any different? It isn't. Tommie Harris said that he would "love to have him [McNabb] as my quarterback" and that "if he comes to the Chicago Bears, we can win the Super Bowl." McNabb wouldn't just come to twiddle his thumbs on the sideline Harris is thinking, he would come to play and supplant Grossman as the starter. If that is not "calling" your quarterback out, then I don't know what is. You are directly saying that we are not capable of winning a Super Bowl right now and we would if we add this piece. Am I wrong in saying that? Yes, maybe that is true, that is an opinion one needs to form once again, but you don't go out and say that, especially if you are one of the leaders of the team.

In your mind, this is not calling a quarterback out for the sole fact that Grossman sucks. That is where your logic is skewed horribly. What if Tommie Harris said something along the lines of "I love Bob Stoops. I would love for him to come to Chicago and coach our team and if he came to Chicago, we would win the Super Bowl." How is that any different? There is no difference and you can't tell me otherwise. That would be a direct shot at Lovie Smith and there is no question about it.

Of course he is entitled to his own opinion. But that doesn't mean he has to say it. That is the stupidest argument ever, hands down. If every NFL player said what they really though of people and things, boy would we have some fun.

Harris might be 100% right, that is an opinion for one to form, but that doesn't mean one should say it. Just because it is the truth, doesn't mean it needs to be said. The fact is you stick with your teammates and you support them, through thick and thin. Following all the media bashing Rex has gotten, deservingly or not, I would hope that his teammates are there for him. I hope this statement isn't representative of the whole defense and what could end up being a divided locker room. That is exactly what this team doesn't need and as a fellow Bears fan, I think you would agree with that.

Tommie Harris has already retracted his statements and went on the radio to say sorry if he offended anyone on the team including Rex Grossman. Now whether you think that was a product of the media over-blowing this or us dumb fans, like me, over-blowing this, is another argument. The fact of the matter is that he said something you don't say in public, no matter how much you feel towards it. If the defense has a problem with Rex as their quarterback, they go to Jerry Angelo or Lovie Smith. They don't go on TV or radio or whatever and say that someone else should be the quarterback of the team. This reminds me of what Owens said of McNabb several years back, how if Favre was the quarterback, they'd be a better team? How is that any different? It isn't. Tommie Harris said that he would "love to have him [McNabb] as my quarterback" and that "if he comes to the Chicago Bears, we can win the Super Bowl." McNabb wouldn't just come to twiddle his thumbs on the sideline Harris is thinking, he would come to play and supplant Grossman as the starter. If that is not "calling" your quarterback out, then I don't know what is. You are directly saying that we are not capable of winning a Super Bowl right now and we would if we add this piece. Am I wrong in saying that? Yes, maybe that is true, that is an opinion one needs to form once again, but you don't go out and say that, especially if you are one of the leaders of the team.

In your mind, this is not calling a quarterback out for the sole fact that Grossman sucks. That is where your logic is skewed horribly. What if Tommie Harris said something along the lines of "I love Bob Stoops. I would love for him to come to Chicago and coach our team and if he came to Chicago, we would win the Super Bowl." How is that any different? There is no difference and you can't tell me otherwise. That would be a direct shot at Lovie Smith and there is no question about it.

Of course he is entitled to his own opinion. But that doesn't mean he has to say it. That is the stupidest argument ever, hands down. If every NFL player said what they really though of people and things, boy would we have some fun.

Because it's not OK for him to insult him teammates. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I told you so.

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Tommie Harris’ off-the-wall sense of humor landed him in a bit of hot water over the weekend, but the defensive tackle made sure there were no hard feelings in the Bears locker room.

Attending Donovan McNabb’s charity golf tournament in Philadelphia, Harris told reporters that he would love for the Eagles quarterback to play for the Bears and that the Bears would win the Super Bowl with McNabb leading the offense.

Tommie Harris apologized to Rex Grossman after joking about wanting Donovan McNabb on the Bears.

While the comments sounded like Harris was criticizing Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, the defensive tackle insisted that he was just joking.

Harris called Grossman the following day to say he was sorry, then apologized again to Grossman and the rest of his Bears teammates before Monday's OTA practice.

“Donovan and I were joking the whole day,” Harris said. “Donovan was behind the cameras laughing. We were joking around. It escalated to more than it was.

"I apologized to my team. I was very embarrassed how much it blew up. My team forgave me; that’s all that matters. I was joking. I have to be careful. I learned from my mistake.”

Cornered by reporters after practice, Grossman said that he wasn’t upset with Harris.

“He came up and said something to me, but I’m not really going to comment on it,” Grossman said. “I’m not going to play it up. I’m just not going to comment on it.”

Asked if “it was over,” Grossman said: “Yeah. It was never really started. It’s not that big a deal.”

It was you, yeah you that blew this completely out of proportion. Grossman himself didn't take it as an insult. Shame on you for throwing Harris under the bus. What's even worse is that it was a couple of Bears' fans that were trying to stir up drama and slander him.

So, who needs the lesson in reading comprehension?

I told you so.

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Tommie Harris’ off-the-wall sense of humor landed him in a bit of hot water over the weekend, but the defensive tackle made sure there were no hard feelings in the Bears locker room.

Attending Donovan McNabb’s charity golf tournament in Philadelphia, Harris told reporters that he would love for the Eagles quarterback to play for the Bears and that the Bears would win the Super Bowl with McNabb leading the offense.

Tommie Harris apologized to Rex Grossman after joking about wanting Donovan McNabb on the Bears.

While the comments sounded like Harris was criticizing Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, the defensive tackle insisted that he was just joking.

Harris called Grossman the following day to say he was sorry, then apologized again to Grossman and the rest of his Bears teammates before Monday's OTA practice.

“Donovan and I were joking the whole day,” Harris said. “Donovan was behind the cameras laughing. We were joking around. It escalated to more than it was.

"I apologized to my team. I was very embarrassed how much it blew up. My team forgave me; that’s all that matters. I was joking. I have to be careful. I learned from my mistake.”

Cornered by reporters after practice, Grossman said that he wasn’t upset with Harris.

“He came up and said something to me, but I’m not really going to comment on it,” Grossman said. “I’m not going to play it up. I’m just not going to comment on it.”

Asked if “it was over,” Grossman said: “Yeah. It was never really started. It’s not that big a deal.”

It was you, yeah you that blew this completely out of proportion. Grossman himself didn't take it as an insult. Shame on you for throwing Harris under the bus. What's even worse is that it was a couple of Bears' fans that were trying to stir up drama and slander him.

LOL, of course they're going to downplay it, you moran. :D

What did you expect Grossman to say? "Fu@k Tommie Harris, I'm going to punch him in the mouth!"

But if you want to believe that the Grossman's teammates aren't pissed about his performance in the SB and have a ton of confidence in him, you go right ahead. :D

Asked if “it was over,” Grossman said: “Yeah. It was never really started. It’s not that big a deal.”[/i]

Translation: Even Grossman knows he sucks.

That Grossman didn't take it as an insult doesn't mean squat other than he either knows he sucks or he's too stupid to know he's been insulted. Either way, it's bad news for CHI.

I'd say the issue has nothing to do with reading comprehension, and everything to do with common sense. What baffles me is that any CHI fan would defend either one of these guys.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I told you so.

:D

Once again, I like you, but you sir, are ignorant.

Harris admitted he was joking. He has also admitted to Grossman and the entire team that what he said was wrong. This was done yesterday. His teammates including Grossman accepted his apology. Yet still today, Swerski and Goopster are still calling for Tommie's head and somehow I've become the "ignorant" jackass for trying to back him up. What gives? :D If you guys are that good at interpreting what people say and are able to read into everything, would you mind if I emailed you some transcripts of conversations I have with my wife? I could use some imput. What gives?

Tommie has never been anything but a team player. He makes one comment that he apologized for the very next day and all of a sudden he his compared to guys like TO. :D Harris got caught up in the moment. His comment was made while attending Donovan McNabb's charity golf tournament. I'm sure all sorts of McNabb compliments were flying around.

Harris admitted he was joking. He has also admitted to Grossman and the entire team that what he said was wrong. This was done yesterday. His teammates including Grossman accepted his apology. Yet still today, Swerski and Goopster are still calling for Tommie's head and somehow I've become the "ignorant" jackass for trying to back him up. What gives? :D If you guys are that good at interpreting what people say and are able to read into everything, would you mind if I emailed you some transcripts of conversations I have with my wife? I could use some imput. What gives?

I don't believe that I ever called you an "ignorant jackass", but you're very naive if you think that Harris was only joking and that Rex doesn't harbor any hard feelings towards him. Why do you believe them? Do you also believe that Jim Mora really didn't want out of the sinking ship of Atlanta when he made that "joke" on the radio back in December? People who are pissed off say brutally-honest things at times, and then backpedal faster than Champ Bailey when they realize that they crossed the line. It happens all of the time.

Even if Harris WAS only joking (which I seriously doubt), he's an idiot for "joking" in that manner. You don't EVER throw a teammate under the bus. EVER.

And I'm still at a loss to understand why you're sucking on Harris' nuts. My God, dude, take off the homer glasses.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I don't believe that I ever called you an "ignorant jackass", but you're very naive if you think that Harris was only joking and that Rex doesn't harbor any hard feelings towards him. Why do you believe them? Do you also believe that Jim Mora really didn't want out of the sinking ship of Atlanta when he made that "joke" on the radio back in December? People who are pissed off say brutally-honest things at times, and then backpedal faster than Champ Bailey when they realize that they crossed the line. It happens all of the time.

Even if Harris WAS only joking (which I seriously doubt), he's an idiot for "joking" in that manner. You don't EVER throw a teammate under the bus. EVER.

And I'm still at a loss to understand why you're sucking on Harris' nuts. My God, dude, take off the homer glasses.

1. Why is it everytime you quote me, you conveniently leave out that this remark was made while attending McNabb's charity golf tournament?

2. Okay. You didn't make the jackass comment but, calling me a moran is close enough.

3. Speaking of nuts... :D Tommie pulled sack and apologized already. Get over it.

Edited by URLACHERisGOD

1. Why is it everytime you quote me, you conveniently leave out that this remark was made while attending McNabb's charity golf tournament?

Why do you continue to bring it up? Does it makes Harris' comments any less inappropriate? No.

2. Okay. You didn't make the jackass comment but, calling me a moran is close enough.

If the shoe fits...

3. Speaking of nuts... :D Tommie pulled sack and apologized already. Get over it.

Speaking of nuts, the fact that you're too busy sucking on Tommie's to face reality doesn't make him less wrong or less of a jackass for throwing his QB under the bus. Get over it.

Why do you continue to bring it up? Does it makes Harris' comments any less inappropriate? No.

If the shoe fits...

Speaking of nuts, the fact that you're too busy sucking on Tommie's to face reality doesn't make him less wrong or less of a jackass for throwing his QB under the bus. Get over it.

:D It is quite disappointing (regardless of who is right an who is wrong) that when trying to have a discussion with you, it always has to end up with you name calling and accusing somebody of sucking on something. I hear the Yahoo message board is taking applicants. You'd be a perfect fit.

:D It is quite disappointing (regardless of who is right an who is wrong) that when trying to have a discussion with you, it always has to end up with you name calling and accusing somebody of sucking on something.

Yes, that's what ALWAYS happens. :D

I hear the Yahoo message board is taking applicants. You'd be a perfect fit.

Oh, really? Let's see what your peers at the Huddle think of you...

We have Seahawks21 and Bears Fans have UrlacherisGod.

:tup:

• 4 months later...

Harris named winner of prestigious Ed Block Award

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris was named the team’s recipient of the 2007 Ed Block Courage Award today. The prestigious award is presented to one player on all 32 NFL teams who best exemplifies a commitment to sportsmanship and courage and serves as an inspiration in the locker room. The recipients of the award, who are voted on by their teammates, symbolize professionalism, great strength and dedication, and they are considered community role models.

Harris has recovered from a hamstring injury that forced him to miss the last four games of the 2006 regular season and the playoffs to lead the team in sacks with a career-high seven in the first half of the 2007 season. Harris has 12 sacks dating back to last season, tied with Warren Sapp for most in the NFL by a defensive tackle during that time span.

Ed Block was a long-time head trainer with the Baltimore Colts who was a pioneer in his field. The Ed Block Courage Award Foundation promotes the prevention of child abuse by raising awareness of the epidemic and assisting agencies that provide for the care and treatment of abused children in communities throughout the NFL.

The Ed Block Courage Award has been given annually to a player on each team in the NFL since 1984. Current Bears who have won the award include QB Rex Grossman (2006), G Ruben Brown (2005), G/C Roberto Garza (2004 with Atlanta), WR Muhsin Muhammad (2000 with Carolina), assistant defensive backs coach Gill Byrd (1988 with San Diego) and linebackers coach Hardy Nickerson (1992 with Pittsburgh and 1999 with Tampa Bay).

Nice "I told ya so" for those who were hating on Tommie in this thread.