[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sunday menu

Chief Dick

Smoking some babybacks tomorrow. I'll use a standard dry rub, smoke them for about an hour and a half, put 'em in foil on the smoker for about 2 hours, and finish open faced on the smoker.

The last hour I'll use a BBQ sauce/honey mix, which gives them a nice flavor.

Also trying a new wood combo tomorrow: I'll let you know how it turns out. Something that just came to me tonight that could be REAL interesting.

Smoking some babybacks tomorrow. I'll use a standard dry rub, smoke them for about an hour and a half, put 'em in foil on the smoker for about 2 hours, and finish open faced on the smoker.

Also trying a new wood combo tomorrow: I'll let you know how it turns out. Something that just came to me tonight that could be REAL interesting.

I'm going to be buying a smoker in the next month or so. Any suggestions?

What kind of budget parameters do you have? And is this your first smoker?

Hoping to spend less than $100. . .it's my first. And I was kinda hoping to get one that doubles as a charcoal grill.

Hoping to spend less than $100. . .it's my first. And I was kinda hoping to get one that doubles as a charcoal grill.

On that budget, may I suggest a bunch of sticks and a roll of aluminum foil.

However, when you are ready to make a real committment to grilling and smoking, I have an admitted bias toward all that is the Big Green Egg.

However, when you are ready to make a real committment to grilling and smoking, I have an admitted bias toward all that is the Big Green Egg.

I'm hoping to graduate to the BGE soon but for just over $100, you should be able to get a New Braunfels offset firebox.

Not planning on using it more than 2 or 3 times a year. I'd only be smoking for me, the Sheikette, and maybe a few friends.

So I'm guessing these are all crap then:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1972388

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3342509

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId...nrData=18233276

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(jcgfxb45...ce=pricegrabber

Edited by SheikYerbuti

There's a shocker. :D

Pork loin in the oven now. Seared it on top of the stove first and covered it in BBQ sauce then to the oven. How'd the 'backs turn out?

Pork loin in the oven now. Seared it on top of the stove first and covered it in BBQ sauce then to the oven. How'd the 'backs turn out?

They were AWESOME!!

I used some ginger stalks as my smokin' wood for the first hour, and then added apple wood as the day went on.

Most Excellent. :D:D

I did pork loin with a new marinade out of bon appetit. It was good, but the marinade was meh, it really didn't impart the flavor I thought it would. I used cherry wood. I tend to like cherry. It gives a nice flavor to the meat.

Do yourself a favor and spring for the tried but true Weber Kettle for a charcoal grill.

Do yourself a favor and spring for the tried but true Weber Kettle for a charcoal grill.

Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001-2-Inch-...r/dp/B00004RALU

Doesn't seem all that much of a stretch for the ole' wallet. . .

But can it be used as a smoker?

Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001-2-Inch-...r/dp/B00004RALU

Doesn't seem all that much of a stretch for the ole' wallet. . .

But can it be used as a smoker?

Any grill can be used as a smoker, it's more about the indirect method when you're using the grills. Brinkmann has some inexpensive charcoal and electric smokers that are about $70. I've used both and found the electric to be easier but the process takes longer and you don't get the "charcoal" flavor.

CharBroil H2O Smoker deluxe is my favorite. Under $70 with two racks and can be used as a smoker or a grill. Cylindrical in shape, thermo on top and easy loading of coal, wood and water.

:D i might have to get one of those.

I have this one and use it all the time.

For starters, I really like the fact that you can cold smoke using this since the fire is built to the side of the meat rather than below it. Thus, if you want to smoke cured fish or something like that, it doesn't turn to sawdust.

The other thing about this one is that it's really easy to use for just plain grilling as well. If you're not doing much, you can just grill in the smoke box. If you're doing more, you just build your fire in the main chamber.

I bought mine about 4 years ago and have beat the hell out of it (prolly use it about 30-50 times/year). It's a bit worse for wear and tear but could easily go several more years.