[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper to be a Packer?

irish

As the rumor has gained legs, the idea is that Culpepper could spend all of 2007 rehabbing his ailing knee while Brett Favre played his final season. Then in 2008, a healthy Culpepper would compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job.

The second twist of irony is that Packers now join the Jaguars as teams that are rumored to be interested in signing Culpepper – who also now serves as his own agent. Jacksonville, of course is where Mike Tice is an assistant head coach. Tice and Culpepper always had a good working relationship and, if not for Tice, Jacksonville may not be in its current condition.

Whether Culpepper lands with the Jags, Packers or someone else won't play out until after he's officially released by the Dolphins. When that happens, we'll find out what rumors are true and what rumors are just blowing smoke.

**Please note that this is purely rumor and speculation at this point. Jacksonville still makes more sense to me but we'll have to just wait and see what the Dolphins do with Culpepper first.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/654315.html

As a dipped in cheese curds Packer fan, I truly hope this rumor goes nowhere. I have a hard time believing Ted Thompson would pull the trigger on this one. Call it a gut feeling. Rodgers is his 1st draft pick for the Packers and I think the Rodgers era is coming no matter what. :D

I also think Culpepper has been fools gold from the very beginning of his career. Remember the mega-flop fantasy season? When was that...04? 05? Anyway, I remember looking at him in everyone's rankings and thinking: This is nuts, he's not the same guy without Randy or Cris.

-- Koonce Says Someone Big Set to Join Packers --

Tue Jun 26, 2007 --from FFMastermind.com

The Press Gazette reports if George Koonce's nose is right, the Packers offense might get an upgrade yet. Koonce, who recently resigned his position as the Packers' director of player development to accept a job with Marquette University, has caused a stir on blogs and Internet message boards with his remarks to a Milwaukee radio station Friday. At the end of an interview on the Gary and Cliff Show on WSSP (AM-1250), Koonce said "the offseason's not over with quite yet, so don't be surprised if ... a big name (comes) in before training camp." Pressed by the hosts for more information, Koonce refused to provide a name but said he was talking about an offensive player. "I'm not going to spill the beans," Koonce said, "but ... I sniffed around a little bit before I left." Considering the Packers' much-discussed failure to land WR Randy Moss and countless other rumors that have come and gone, this could be one more letdown for fans frustrated by the team's inactivity in free agency. But with about $10 million of salary-cap space (after the rookie pool is spent) and more than a month until training camp, GM Ted Thompson has plenty of time and flexibility to augment the roster -- if someone's available at the right price. Koonce could not be reached Monday afternoon.

Hmmm...could it be Culpepper? Maybe LJ via trade?

Depends on the price. If he's asking for anything they even consider to be too much, screw it. Let him be a burden on someone else.

He's got tunnel vision hardwired into his brain. I can't for the life of me recall this guy ever being able to consistently look defenders off of receivers, and he just has the goggles on for whoever he wants to pass to. He doesn't look away, and he forces balls in. I think this is why without Moss, he started to stink it up.

He needs a great receiver who can catch anything within 10 yards of him, and good protection. And my god probably a good runner, too, just to help.

Edited by TheFootballGuy

I doubt this happens, no proof, just a feeling. As a life-long Packers fan myself I think 'ol Ted shot his wad on Frank Walker and said "Enough is enough". It's Walker's team now and I'm not sure Frank wants Culpepper on his team.

I would have fired Thompson the SECOND after picking Rodgers in '05. There is a reason a guy drops 24 slots. And a Dan Marino comes around only once in a lifetime and we have already seen him. There usually is a very good reason a guy slides that far...

Going out and getting Culpepper seems out of character for Thompson. There already is friction between TT and Favre. Getting Culpepper would only increase that. Corey Dillon seems a bit more likely.

Not to mention I just don't think Culpepper's style fits the Packers' offense.

I would have fired Thompson the SECOND after picking Rodgers in '05. There is a reason a guy drops 24 slots. And a Dan Marino comes around only once in a lifetime and we have already seen him. There usually is a very good reason a guy slides that far...

Wow, you really are a genius. I guess you forget the speculation that the Niners were going to take Rodgers with the no.1 pick a few days up until the draft. The reason he dropped 24 spots is that not a lot of teams were looking for a quarterback in the first. If a teams needs dont match up with a player, he drops. If you want, I can give you a nice long list of great players that were taking 25 and later. As far as the Dan Marino comment... What round was Marc Bulger, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Jake Dellhomme, Drew Brees, Jeff Garcia, Matt Hasselback, Damon Huard, Matt Schaub, or Chad Pennington drafted in?

By your theory, Brady Quinn is going to be a bust as well because he fell into the 20's. Your theory is flawed. Thank you for your attempt, please try again any time.

I'm also in no way saying Rodgers is going to be the second coming. I will say its too early to tell, and to use Shelby Montana's logic is asinine.

And I'd take Brady in the 7th over Marino in the 1st any day.

Hell, actually, I'd take Brady over Marino straight up.

Now I'll sit back and watch the chaos I just started... :D

And I'd take Brady in the 7th over Marino in the 1st any day.

Hell, actually, I'd take Brady over Marino straight up.

Now I'll sit back and watch the chaos I just started... :D

I agree 100%. :D

Wow, you really are a genius. I guess you forget the speculation that the Niners were going to take Rodgers with the no.1 pick a few days up until the draft. The reason he dropped 24 spots is that not a lot of teams were looking for a quarterback in the first. If a teams needs dont match up with a player, he drops. If you want, I can give you a nice long list of great players that were taking 25 and later. As far as the Dan Marino comment... What round was Marc Bulger, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Jake Dellhomme, Drew Brees, Jeff Garcia, Matt Hasselback, Damon Huard, Matt Schaub, or Chad Pennington drafted in?

By your theory, Brady Quinn is going to be a bust as well because he fell into the 20's. Your theory is flawed. Thank you for your attempt, please try again any time.

I'm also in no way saying Rodgers is going to be the second coming. I will say its too early to tell, and to use Shelby Montana's logic is asinine.

See, stupid-ass commentary on the msg bds is exactly why I stay away from it.

Point #1: But Rodgers WASN'T picked #1, was he? Who was the OC in SF at the time? None other than Mike McCarthy, the Packers HC. So why didn't SF pick Rodgers?? I'm sure McCarthy didn't plan to eventually coach him.

Point #2: If a team really wants a QB and thinks a lot of the player, the team will trade up to get him. The Broncos did the same last year in order to draft Cutler. And the same thing has happened in numerous other situations as well. Just this year, the Lions traded up in the 2nd to ensure they got Drew Stanton.

Point #3: And to your completely stupid-ass comment about a "long list of players taken after #25" none of those players were EVER in the running for the #1 overall spot were they? Of course a lot of great players have been picked after #25. Not everyone can be picked #1. But players who were thought to have a possibility of going #1 and slid usually have something wrong with them. I made the comment relative to someone who was expecting to go much higher than he did. All the QB's you mentioned have been successful but no one was planning to take them #1, were they?

Point #4: The jury will be out on Brady Quinn for a few years. If he doesn't get into camp on time, it will set him back. And, if you look at history my sarcastic dumb-ass pal, history shows a success rate of around 50% for QB's drafted in the 1st round. Go all the way back to 1995 and look at QB's drafted in the 1st and see how many have become successful. To me, a guy that slides 24 spots is someone to stay away from because no one else thought enough of him to jump up and grab him (of the players expected to go much higher).

Point #5: The next time you think of posting with your head up your ass, please reconsider...

What round was Marc Bulger, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Jake Dellhomme, Drew Brees, Jeff Garcia, Matt Hasselback, Damon Huard, Matt Schaub, or Chad Pennington drafted in?

...or Brett Favre? :D

Point #1: But Rodgers WASN'T picked #1, was he? Who was the OC in SF at the time? None other than Mike McCarthy, the Packers HC. So why didn't SF pick Rodgers?? I'm sure McCarthy didn't plan to eventually coach him.

Obviously the 9ers thought more highly of Smith than they did of Rodgers. That doesn't mean the 9ers thought that Rodgers was a turd, just that they thought Smith had a better shot at being a better pro prospect.

Point #2: If a team really wants a QB and thinks a lot of the player, the team will trade up to get him. The Broncos did the same last year in order to draft Cutler. And the same thing has happened in numerous other situations as well. Just this year, the Lions traded up in the 2nd to ensure they got Drew Stanton.

And sometimes good players fall into people's laps - there are PLENTY of instances every year where a team drafts a guy and the first comment is "we didn't think we had a shot at him where we were picking"; Rodgers carried a high first round grade and was ranked as a consensus top 5 guy.

Besides, it's pretty apparent that you can't really say much of anything about Rodgers' on field performance so far - he can't unseat the guy he has no shot at unseating anyway? Horrors!

Point #3: And to your completely stupid-ass comment about a "long list of players taken after #25" none of those players were EVER in the running for the #1 overall spot were they? Of course a lot of great players have been picked after #25. Not everyone can be picked #1. But players who were thought to have a possibility of going #1 and slid usually have something wrong with them. I made the comment relative to someone who was expecting to go much higher than he did. All the QB's you mentioned have been successful but no one was planning to take them #1, were they?

Quinn was discussed as the top overall pick and slid out of the 1st. Leinart slid from consensus #1 out of the top 10. Marino slid. Randy Moss and Warren Sapp both slid. It happens.

You appear to be one of those who wanted Ted Thompson to be fired roughly at or about the moment he was hired, and wanted to tank McCarthy after the first minicamp. Which is your right as an American, but so far Thompson has been average as a GM - nothing great, nothing terrible, really. I'm more than willing to see how this year's draft class and team develop before running either out of town.

Point #4: The jury will be out on Brady Quinn for a few years. If he doesn't get into camp on time, it will set him back. And, if you look at history my sarcastic dumb-ass pal, history shows a success rate of around 50% for QB's drafted in the 1st round. Go all the way back to 1995 and look at QB's drafted in the 1st and see how many have become successful. To me, a guy that slides 24 spots is someone to stay away from because no one else thought enough of him to jump up and grab him (of the players expected to go much higher).

Point #5: The next time you think of posting with your head up your ass, please reconsider...

Point 1... No, he wasnt picked no.1. There are only about 10 players in the entire league that can say they were. Stupid point.

Point 2... You used the Detroit Lions trading up for Drew Stanton. I don't need to go on. Yet another stupid point.

Point 3.... So you're saying that Aaron Rodgers is going to suck because he went at 25 when there was talk of him going one, but players that were not considered to go that high didnt suck? Please, make some sense.

Point 4... No, by your definition, because Brady Quinn slid, he will suck.

Point 5... Please make sense with what your saying before you call a huddler out like this. You have 8 posts, not that post counts matter, but why should I or anyone else think you know what you're talking about?

By the way, did you sign up as another user a while back and argue that Torry Holt wasnt a top 10 wr? You sure do seem a lot like him.

But once again, thank you for your attempt here.

Edited by piratesownninjas

I appreciate Chavez's response because of the way he presented his argument. Disagreement is fine; I can take that. But one thing that really pisses me off about internet message boards is everyone can sit behind their computer and pretend they are an expert or know everything. Who knows who these people are?

At least Chavez didn't come right out with a sarcastic, attacking comment like "you must be a genius". I was simply stating my opinion about TT's performance. I'm entitled to mine and you are entitled to yours. Unfortunately, you, piratesownninjas, chose to be an ass when I was simply stating my opinion. By the way, of Thompson's first draft class, 2005, only 6 of the 11 players he drafted are still with the team. Not exactly a high success rate after only two years into the job.

I'm not going to go point by point and refute everything you said in response to my response. It's not worth it. But, by the way, piratesownninjas, you mentioned I wrote about the Lions trading up and then you said "I don't need to go on. Yet another stupid point." However, apparently they didn't teach reading at your school, if you went to one, because I also mentioned how the Broncos traded UP last year to grab Cutler, because they thought he was worthy of doing so. That was a point you curiously failed to mention when trying to trash me because I had "stupidly" mentioned the Lions.

And no, I never have signed in as another user. I've been a member since 2005 and people like you and posts like this are exactly why I have only 9 posts in 3 years of membership.

Above all, piratesownninjas, you have to live with yourself and your own psuedo intellectual thoughts. Thank God the rest of us don't.

I appreciate Chavez's response because of the way he presented his argument. Disagreement is fine; I can take that. But one thing that really pisses me off about internet message boards is everyone can sit behind their computer and pretend they are an expert or know everything. Who knows who these people are?

At least Chavez didn't come right out with a sarcastic, attacking comment like "you must be a genius". I was simply stating my opinion about TT's performance. I'm entitled to mine and you are entitled to yours. Unfortunately, you, piratesownninjas, chose to be an ass when I was simply stating my opinion. By the way, of Thompson's first draft class, 2005, only 6 of the 11 players he drafted are still with the team. Not exactly a high success rate after only two years into the job.

I'm not going to go point by point and refute everything you said in response to my response. It's not worth it. But, by the way, piratesownninjas, you mentioned I wrote about the Lions trading up and then you said "I don't need to go on. Yet another stupid point." However, apparently they didn't teach reading at your school, if you went to one, because I also mentioned how the Broncos traded UP last year to grab Cutler, because they thought he was worthy of doing so. That was a point you curiously failed to mention when trying to trash me because I had "stupidly" mentioned the Lions.

And no, I never have signed in as another user. I've been a member since 2005 and people like you and posts like this are exactly why I have only 9 posts in 3 years of membership.

Above all, piratesownninjas, you have to live with yourself and your own psuedo intellectual thoughts. Thank God the rest of us don't.

Settle down, Beavis.

My name is David, I live in Lewisville Texas, and I am an expert on everything ever.

By the way, of Thompson's first draft class, 2005, only 6 of the 11 players he drafted are still with the team. Not exactly a high success rate after only two years into the job.

Collins and Poppinga finished the season extremley well, and will play important roles on a defense on the rise. Aaron Rodgers is a future starter on this team, Mike Hawkins played well in limited action, and Terrence Murphy's career was cut short before he could prove his worth. Marviel Underwood was making serious noise last year before an injury, and has a chance at taking over a the open saftey position. It wasnt a huge sucess, but it wasnt a failure either.

I stand by this. Using the Lions as logic makes your point wrong. I'm sorry, it just works out that way. Has anyone ever described you with the word "dense"? Just because a team traded up to take someone doesnt prove a players worth. Oh, and nice burn on the reading school part. Good job buddy.

Well, I can only hope to keep up the good work. Just wait until you try and discuss or argue your point with some of the guys that are a lot worse than I am.

BUUUURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN you caught me on fire :D

Welcome to the huddle message boards.

Note to Shelby,

You did not actually catch me on fire.

My psuedo intellectual powers are hugh!

EDIT- I decided to remove a line in which I said I'd rather live with my psuedo intellectual thoughts than to be an absolute dense jackass.

Edited by piratesownninjas