[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie wideouts

rabidmongoose555

who are your top 5 rookie Wr's this year in terms of fantsy production?

relying on Rookie WRs for production in yr one is never a good proposition...

CJ is head and shoulders the best WR in this class and it still wouldnt surprise me to

see him struggle while learning mad mikes O

My thoughts:

1. Calvin Johnson (Hard not to go his way #1, eh?)

2. Dwayne Jarrett (Seems like they already have him penciled in at the 2)

3. Anthony Gonzalez (Seems like he's destined to be the next Brandon Stokley. This year?)

4. Steve Smith (Giants raving about him)

5a. Craig Davis (Some nice things being said about this guy out at Chargers OTA's)

5b. James Jones (As a Pack fan, I gotta add him to the list. Could be a possession/endzone monster)

:D

Edit: I agree with Keggers btw, obviously it's tough to expect good fantasy production from rook WR's. But, if I had to offer 5 (6), here they are.

Edited by Sturphy

My thoughts:

1. Calvin Johnson (Hard not to go his way #1, eh?)

2. Dwayne Jarrett (Seems like they already have him penciled in at the 2)

3. Anthony Gonzalez (Seems like he's destined to be the next Brandon Stokley. This year?)

4. Steve Smith (Giants raving about him)

5a. Craig Davis (Some nice things being said about this guy out at Chargers OTA's)

5b. James Jones (As a Pack fan, I gotta add him to the list. Could be a possession/endzone monster)

:D

Edit: I agree with Keggers btw, obviously it's tough to expect good fantasy production from rook WR's. But, if I had to offer 5 (6), here they are.

Dwayne Bowe should make a list too since he will most likely be one of the starters in KC but being a rook and possibly having a 1st yr starter at QB would make me temper expectations

Yeah, Croyle made me leave him off the list. It's just hard for me to wrap my arms around the Chiefs passing game the last few years. Not many passing TD's in that offense anymore seems like. Could be wrong, but aside from Gonzalez nothing has made me holler.

I'm going to go out on a limb here & say that Gonzalez outproduces Johnson this year.

Johnson is going to ask to be a #2 WR and will go head to head with pro corners. Gonzalez is going to match up against SSs & LBs - and teams will find they are no match for him. Even the nickel backs he'll eventually see won't be the same quality guys Johnson will face.

Now, as far as a career - Johnson hands down, though I don't think anyone initially predicted that Harrison or S Smith would be the studs they are.

After that, I like Jarrett, Bowe, Jones, & S Smith in that order - but I doubt they'll make enough impact (with the possible exception of Jarrett because he's so damn good in the end zone) to be anything other than bye week fillers.

The kid is starting to look like he'll be the first bust of this group. We'll see, but he's off to a poor start.

Yep...from the limited time in mini-camps Rhema McKnight is playing like Meachem should. However I think by the end of TC Meachem will come around.

Edit: and no, that's not a sleeper alert...from what I'm hearing Patten is the clear-cut #2 right now unless one of these younger guys show some serious improvement.

Edited by rajncajn

What about the Mike Walker kid from Jacksonville? I'm hearing some good stuff out of him during the OTA's. I'm not a huge fan of the current crop of receivers they have and I could easily see him getting on the field and being productive this season. I like him to enter into the top5 of the rookies by the end of the season as well as anybody else listed.

The kid is starting to look like he'll be the first bust of this group. We'll see, but he's off to a poor start.

True, but so was Colston until he turned it around. This could be a good wakeup call for him.

:D Colston was looking like a bust? In the seventh round? I'm tired, im sure I just misread something here...

No you are right he wasn't a high pick.

Anyone drafted can be a bust. Many scouts didn't think he should be drafted at all. Early reports said they were right, but by TC he got it together and played like a high pick.

He isn't the kind of bust Mike Williams was but anyone can wash out of the NFL.

But what I meant is Meachem could do a Colston and come back strong in TC.

Edited by Randall

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Anthony Gonzalez

3. Dwayne Bowe

4. Jason Hill

5. Steve Smith

For now.

I like this list and think you could be right on with those 5. I'd LOVE to see Jason Hill finish in that group. I think he's in the type of situation with the Niners he could finish top 5 for rokkies. DJax is still mending but I expect him to play significant time and end up being the 49ers top guy in terms of production. Then there's Arnaz Battle, Ashley Lelie ,Bryan Gilmore and Brandon Williams for Jason to battle for catches. Hill has been getting signifcant PT with DJax and Lelie nursing injuries.That can only benefit him. I think Hill could battle his way into a starting role. Arnaz Battle doesn't impress me and Lelie really has only had one good year. In Denver in 2004 he had 54 rec.,1.084yds. 7 tds. Then he'll have to contend with a lot of balls going to Gore and Vernon Davis. If Hill could win a starting job in camp I think he could get 500-700 yds with 4-6 tds. Would that get him in top 5 for rookies?

Edited by DocNiner52