[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IDP strategy/advice

3WZ

I recently moved into a new house and my next door neighbor asked me to be in a neighborhood fantasy league last night. Of course I said yes. He told me they use IDP's and I was pretty excited. I have been playing for about 6 years now, but have never played with IDP's. I was looking for any general guidelines/advice you could give me. Things such as...how early should I draft my first defensive player?; Like RB's on offense, is there one position more valuable on defense?; sleepers; must-have players...etc. The league rosters and scoring is below. Thanks for any input...

Roster Positions:

QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, D, D, DB, DB, DL, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories:

Completions (1)

Passing Yards (10 yards per point; 2 points at 75 yards; 3 points at 150 yards; 4 points at 200 yards)

Passing Touchdowns (6)

Interceptions (-3)

Rushing Yards (10 yards per point; 2 points at 50 yards; 3 points at 75 yards; 4 points at 100 yards)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Reception Yards (10 yards per point; 2 points at 50 yards; 3 points at 75 yards; 4 points at 100 yards)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

Return Touchdowns (6)

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles (-1)

Fumbles Lost (-3)

Offensive Fumble Return TD (6)

Field Goals 0-19 Yards (1)

Field Goals 20-29 Yards (2)

Field Goals 30-39 Yards (3)

Field Goals 40-49 Yards (4)

Field Goals 50+ Yards (5)

Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards (-4)

Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards (-3)

Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards (-2)

Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards (-1)

Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards (0)

Point After Attempt Made (1)

Point After Attempt Missed (-2)

Sack (2)

Interception (3)

Fumble Recovery (3)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (6)

Block Kick (2)

Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns (6)

Points Allowed 0 points (20)

Points Allowed 1-6 points (15)

Points Allowed 7-13 points (10)

Points Allowed 14-20 points (5)

Points Allowed 21-27 points (1)

Points Allowed 28-34 points (-5)

Points Allowed 35+ points (-10)

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.5)

Sack (3)

Interception (3)

Fumble Force (1)

Fumble Recovery (3)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (6)

Pass Defended (.5)

Block Kick (3)

I recently moved into a new house and my next door neighbor asked me to be in a neighborhood fantasy league last night. Of course I said yes. He told me they use IDP's and I was pretty excited. I have been playing for about 6 years now, but have never played with IDP's. I was looking for any general guidelines/advice you could give me. Things such as...how early should I draft my first defensive player?; Like RB's on offense, is there one position more valuable on defense?; sleepers; must-have players...etc. The league rosters and scoring is below. Thanks for any input...

Linebackers are traditionally seen as the "RBs of the IDP side". They are around the the ball the most, get tackles, oftentimes drop back in coverage, etc.

It really depends on the league as to when you take your first IDP. The Huddle has a mock draft w/ IDPs planned for early July. Stay tuned.

Just like always, it all depends on how the first few rounds of the draft have gone. With your scoring there are only a select view of LBs that I would consider before th 6th or 7th round. I don't think I would consider a DB before the 9th or 10th round. DLs normally don't go before the 10th round.

There are a few players at each position that I gun for and probably take a bit early. However, just like non-IDP leagues, having the best players at every position can win you a championship.

You want to draft Defensive ends who will record sacks for you on the defensive line. Don't bother wasting your time with any defensive tackles. Generally speaking, you want to focus on middle-linebackers and strong safeties who record a lot of tackles for your LB and DB positions, though there are some exceptions to the MLB and strong safety rule.

Edited by Crazysight

You want to draft Defensive ends who will record sacks for you on the defensive line. Don't bother wasting your time with any defensive tackles. Generally speaking, you want to focus on middle-linebackers and strong safeties who record a lot of tackles for your LB and DB positions, though there are some exceptions to the MLB and strong safety rule.

MLB>WLB>SLB in a base 4/3

WLB>MLB>SLB in a Tampa 2/Cover 2

LILB>RILB>OLBS in a 3/4

as stated there are exceptions to every rule and scoring systems can greatly effect rankings

This is all very helpful. Thanks for the input and please add more as you think of it. By the way, did you notice the ridiculous scoring for QB? I can't understand what they're trying to do. 1 pt/pass completion, but no PPR. I'm usually a "wait on my QB" kinda guy, but it'll be hard to pass on Manning in the 1st if he's there (assuming I draft in the 4 slot or after).

This is all very helpful. Thanks for the input and please add more as you think of it. By the way, did you notice the ridiculous scoring for QB? I can't understand what they're trying to do. 1 pt/pass completion, but no PPR. I'm usually a "wait on my QB" kinda guy, but it'll be hard to pass on Manning in the 1st if he's there (assuming I draft in the 4 slot or after).

You may want to clarify that completion scoring :D that means 25 to 30 points a week just in completions. I guess it's still relative to a teams offensive balance but I would be making sure on that one!

imo its still all relative....go and take a look at how many passes peyton completed and then look at what the other top 10 QBs completed..you should see that taking a QB in round 1 still isnt prudent, IMO

fyi, bulger and kitna both had move completions then peyton last yr and brees had 6 less.

Edited by keggerz

imo its still all relative....go and take a look at how many passes peyton completed and then look at what the other top 10 QBs completed..you should see that taking a QB in round 1 still isnt prudent, IMO

fyi, bulger and kitna both had move completions then peyton last yr and brees had 6 less.

:nod: Thats pretty much what I said in my post.

MLB>WLB>SLB in a base 4/3

WLB>MLB>SLB in a Tampa 2/Cover 2

LILB>RILB>OLBS in a 3/4

as stated there are exceptions to every rule and scoring systems can greatly effect rankings

This is one of the most succinct and amazingly helpful posts that I have read here on the message boards. I know it probably just seems like simple stuff, but still a great post. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I look at Lb more like WR. Their are a lot of LB out there considering 3 or 4 start for every team. Every year you will find LB that come out of nowhere and make a ton of tackles. Tackles are what you look for when considering IDP's. Sacks are good but are more unpredictable. Look at sacks for DL. Int's are another stat that are hard to predict. On the DL look for the DE, and I usually draft the DL last w/ my K. For LB look at the MLB b/c they usually make the most tackles. For DB look at S more than corners. Remember great corners are avoided which means not many tackle opportunities. If you are looking at a corner look at a rookie or someone that starts opposite of a great corner b/c they will get picked on. Some corners do make a lot of tackles ( A. Winfield, R Barber) but they are the exception not the rule. Few IDP's are worth high draft picks but any that are will be LB. I've had R. Lewis on my team for 8 years now. He has been a tackling machine. But 15-20 Lb in you can still find some sold starters. And check the waiver wire b/c there will be a stud that comes along at some point. I picked up D. Ryans after the 2nd week last year and he ended up being the highest scoring defensive player in the league.

Defenses

4-3 CIN, HOU, JAX, TEN, DEN, NYG, OAK, PHI, WAS, GB, SEA. KC, ATL, NO, CAR

4-3/Tampa-2 BUF, IND, CHI, DET, TAM, MIN

3-4 NE, NYJ, CLE, SD, PIT (transitioning to some Cover-2), DAL, SF (likely), MIA

46 BAL

Transitioning PIT, ARI

I look at Lb more like WR. Their are a lot of LB out there considering 3 or 4 start for every team. Every year you will find LB that come out of nowhere and make a ton of tackles. Tackles are what you look for when considering IDP's. Sacks are good but are more unpredictable. Look at sacks for DL. Int's are another stat that are hard to predict. On the DL look for the DE, and I usually draft the DL last w/ my K. For LB look at the MLB b/c they usually make the most tackles. For DB look at S more than corners. Remember great corners are avoided which means not many tackle opportunities. If you are looking at a corner look at a rookie or someone that starts opposite of a great corner b/c they will get picked on. Some corners do make a lot of tackles ( A. Winfield, R Barber) but they are the exception not the rule. Few IDP's are worth high draft picks but any that are will be LB. I've had R. Lewis on my team for 8 years now. He has been a tackling machine. But 15-20 Lb in you can still find some sold starters. And check the waiver wire b/c there will be a stud that comes along at some point. I picked up D. Ryans after the 2nd week last year and he ended up being the highest scoring defensive player in the league.

I find it hard to believe D. Ryans was on the waiver wire in your league period. I got him cheap last year....and it killed me to wait...but I got him in the 19th round...then snagged Bart Scott in the 23rd.

Linebackers are traditionally seen as the "RBs of the IDP side". They are around the the ball the most, get tackles, oftentimes drop back in coverage, etc.

It really depends on the league as to when you take your first IDP. The Huddle has a mock draft w/ IDPs planned for early July. Stay tuned.

Darin,

Although I've got my feet wet in one or two IDP leagues, I have some of the same questions 3WZ has. I feel pretty comfortable comparing the value of defensive players versus other defensive players but still struggle in evaluating their relative worth compared to the other side of the ball.

Have you ever considered doing a "Top 120" style cheat sheet with IDP players added to help guys like me and 3WZ try and get a handle on this?

Darin,

Although I've got my feet wet in one or two IDP leagues, I have some of the same questions 3WZ has. I feel pretty comfortable comparing the value of defensive players versus other defensive players but still struggle in evaluating their relative worth compared to the other side of the ball.

Have you ever considered doing a "Top 120" style cheat sheet with IDP players added to help guys like me and 3WZ try and get a handle on this?

maybe its just me but I have never really saw the value in a Top 120(or whatever number) vs just rankings by tiers within each position...imo your team really dictates its needs not a top 120....

but I also dont speak for darin

+1

maybe its just me but I have never really saw the value in a Top 120(or whatever number) vs just rankings by tiers within each position...imo your team really dictates its needs not a top 120....

I definitely see your point. I feel fairly comfortable creating tiers within each IDP position but still have trouble comparing relative worth of defensive to offensive positions. I thought a "Top 120" ranking might give me a basis to get a better handle on it.

I definitely see your point. I feel fairly comfortable creating tiers within each IDP position but still have trouble comparing relative worth of defensive to offensive positions. I thought a "Top 120" ranking might give me a basis to get a better handle on it.

lets just say that while studs are studs(both sides of the ball) it is almost always easier to replace a defensive player then an offensive player

not sure if that helps or not

lets just say that while studs are studs(both sides of the ball) it is almost always easier to replace a defensive player then an offensive player

not sure if that helps or not

That's about the best answer available.

There's no easy formula to determine defensive players' relative value versus offensive players. My only strategy in an IDP draft is to avoid following the runs -- unless you're getting in at the top (first 2 or 3 players at a position). With SO many players available, a big run on any IDP position definitely means players at other positions are falling too far.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Darin,

I follow IDP drafts to get a handle on this. The recently completed mock may be a good plave to look, but I haven't seen any top 120 lists I like.