[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IDP strategy/advice

3WZ

You want to draft Defensive ends who will record sacks for you on the defensive line. Don't bother wasting your time with any defensive tackles. Generally speaking, you want to focus on middle-linebackers and strong safeties who record a lot of tackles for your LB and DB positions, though there are some exceptions to the MLB and strong safety rule.

True!

I learned this the hard way last year, which was my first in an IDP League. Now I'm in 3 and slowly moving away from the others. Once you play in this format you will be hooked :D

Just stay around and read this guys on the huddle, they think they know much and...

they actually do :D

Pay close attention to Keggerz, Sgt Ryan, darin3, URLACHERisGOD, and others I can't remember right now, they are all pretty good.

Good Luck in your League!

True!

I learned this the hard way last year, which was my first in an IDP League. Now I'm in 3 and slowly moving away from the others. Once you play in this format you will be hooked :D

Just stay around and read this guys on the huddle, they think they know much and...

they actually do :D

Pay close attention to Keggerz, Sgt Ryan, darin3, URLACHERisGOD, and others I can't remember right now, they are all pretty good.

Good Luck in your League!

a humble thanks

Have you ever considered doing a "Top 120" style cheat sheet with IDP players added to help guys like me and 3WZ try and get a handle on this?

Tough to do...

maybe its just me but I have never really saw the value in a Top 120(or whatever number) vs just rankings by tiers within each position...imo your team really dictates its needs not a top 120....

but I also dont speak for darin

Right, I agree.

I follow IDP drafts to get a handle on this. The recently completed mock may be a good plave to look, but I haven't seen any top 120 lists I like.

And I agree with this... mock drafts work real well.

I definitely agree with Darin.... very hard to do IDP rankings given the HUGH variations in the scoring systems form one league to the next... and that diminishes to a degree how useful some mocks may or may not be. Tackle heavy scoring systems favor the LB's, sack heavy systems, the DE, turnover based scoring systems, with or without return yardage points make it even more difficult to do when adding DB's to the mix.

I am in several IDP leagues... basically, using two different scoring systems. First,one has to translate the scoring system into positional rankings.... are LB's more valuable than DE's or safeties? I use positional rankings. LB's seperate from DB's seperate from DL's, etc. Once you determine what defensive positions carry the most value, then you have to compare that value to offensive players to determine when it's time to draft IDP's. There isn't any easy way to determine this.... and that's why IDP leagues are more fun.... the owners who understand player values are the ones who make the playoffs. That takes some time, effort and research.

I knew Vilma's value would tank when the Jets went to the 3-4. But, I had the luxury of going to Jets TC..... especially on defense, player's values can go up and down based on scheme and coaching changes much more so than offensive players. Bottom line.... there is no substitute for keeping your ear to the ground with IDP's. Take a player like Simmons... often hurt last year, but now moves to MLB from the outside in his move to N.O. His value jumped when he signed with the Saints. The more time one spends on knowing schemes, and which players tend to be big FF scorers in those schemes is the key... and there is no one rankings list to lead one to the promised land as with offensive players.

I agree with all of the above. as long as you are getting a point for tackles, LB's ARE the RB's of the DEF. while what Keg states is true, (LB's are more easily replaced), that being said without 2 really good ones to start each week you will not win...-just like not having 2 good RB's to start.

where to draft DEF compared to OFF is almost always a matter of personal preference and opinion. DEF can approach half your weekly total, so if you neglect it, it could be a long, miserable season. last year the stud DL's dried up quick, and while this is probably the least important position, if you had a stud, you were that much further ahead.

wavers, injuries and performance are critical in IDP. every idiot is in touch with OFF injuries, waivers and stats...- only the truly dedicated can keep track of both sides of the ball.

Edited by hooknladder

I definitely agree with Darin.... very hard to do IDP rankings given the HUGH variations in the scoring systems form one league to the next

I actually find it easy. . .here's how I do it:

I set up a free league on Yahoo and plug in all the scoring for the IDP. Register your team, click on the Players tab, and it'll spit out last year's rankings for your exact scoring system. You can filter it by position too. After I print out the results, I either change the scoring for another league, or delete the league. It's a good place to start, at least. . .

I actually find it easy. . .here's how I do it:

I set up a free league on Yahoo and plug in all the scoring for the IDP. Register your team, click on the Players tab, and it'll spit out last year's rankings for your exact scoring system. You can filter it by position too. After I print out the results, I either change the scoring for another league, or delete the league. It's a good place to start, at least. . .

just be very careful relying on last yrs stats with IDPs since scheme and position changes can greatly influence a players new value...with that said relying on the previous years stats is probably the single biggest mistake that "noobs" make...but doing what you are doing can at least show you how certain TYPES of players end up ranking in your league...but to be honest I never use the overall scoring when looking at how players rank...there are just simply to many variables that really dont make it a worthwhile tool, imo

just be very careful relying on last yrs stats with IDPs since scheme and position changes can greatly influence a players new value...with that said relying on the previous years stats is probably the single biggest mistake that "noobs" make...but doing what you are doing can at least show you how certain TYPES of players end up ranking in your league...but to be honest I never use the overall scoring when looking at how players rank...there are just simply to many variables that really dont make it a worthwhile tool, imo

Hey, this n00b won his IDP league last year by drafting based on the previous year's stats. . .and I wasn't even the Tomlinson owner!

:D

• 4 weeks later...
MLB>WLB>SLB in a base 4/3

WLB>MLB>SLB in a Tampa 2/Cover 2

LILB>RILB>OLBS in a 3/4

as stated there are exceptions to every rule and scoring systems can greatly effect rankings

Who will generally get more tackles: WLB in a 4/3 or LILB in a 3/4? Or does it depend on the team and specific system?

Who will generally get more tackles: WLB in a 4/3 or LILB in a 3/4? Or does it depend on the team and specific system?

there are so many variables that is why i didnt attempt to list them in productivity order between schemes.

Also i just noticed that having LILB listed first is a typo...you can read a bit more about the 3-4 and other schemes here: LINK

I would rather have a WLB in a Tampa 2/Cover 2 scheme then one in a "normal" 4-3....and as far as 3-4 guys...players like donnie edwards are always going to be few and far between but there have been some productive ILB's in 3-4 schemes, Farrior, Sharper & Foreman to name a few.