[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots are magazines' early pick to win Super Bowl

uglytuna

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...owl-picks_N.htm

POSTED FROM USATODAY:

Today's quiz comes courtesy of the National Football League and publishing houses responsible for five of the more venerable preseason pro football magazines.

The question: Which proved more disappointing last season, the Carolina Panthers or the preseason predictions?

Based on the evidence, it's a tough call.

The Panthers, of course, finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

Yet they also were the pick of three magazines to win the Super Bowl while two others had them reaching the game but not winning — only Athlon correctly predicting that the Indianapolis Colts would achieve Roman numeral satisfaction.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Smith | Eagles | Panthers | New England Patriots | Cowboys | Indianapolis Colts | Saints | Seahawks | Ravens | Bears | Chargers | NFC East | NFC West | AFC West | AFC North | NFC North | AFC East | NFC South | AFC South | Sporting News | Athlon

Last summer's Super Bowl predictions had Athlon picking the Colts over the Panthers, Lindy's picking the Panthers over the Denver Broncos, Pro Football Weekly picking the Panthers over the Colts, Sporting News picking the Pittsburgh Steelers over the Panthers, and Street & Smith's picking the Panthers over the Broncos.

Carolina is hoping to rebound nicely this season, and so are the aforementioned five preseason magazines.

Even so, the New England Patriots should be afraid. Only Lindy's doesn't pick them to win Super XLII in Glendale, Ariz.

Athlon: Patriots over Cowboys. Lindy's: Ravens over Saints. Pro Football Weekly: Patriots over Saints. Sporting News: Patriots over Cowboys. Street & Smith's: Patriots over Saints.

Division winners:

•Athlon— NFC East (Cowboys), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Saints), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (Patriots), AFC North (Ravens), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Chargers).

•Lindy's— NFC East (Eagles), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Saints), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (Patriots), AFC North (Ravens), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Chargers).

•Pro Football Weekly— NFC East (Eagles), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Saints), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (Patriots), AFC North (Ravens), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Chargers).

•Sporting News— NFC East (Cowboys), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Saints), NFC West (49ers). AFC East (Patriots), AFC North (Bengals), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Chargers).

•Street & Smith's— NFC East (Eagles), NFC North (Bears), NFC South (Saints), NFC West (Seahawks). AFC East (Patriots), AFC North (Ravens), AFC South (Colts), AFC West (Chargers).

ugly :D tuna

The Pats are a sexy pick right now with the addition of Moss, who has proven that he is a selfless team player who can lead multiple teams to the promised land. Who would think otherwise?

I like my guys lying in the weeds, thanks. It ought to be a fun year.

If Dallas even gets to the NFC Champ game I would consider it a great year.

I think it's VERY optimistic to call them in the big game this year. I realize one never knows but hell, given the last 5 years how can you even go against Philly winning the division?

One the other hand, I have given a lifetime subscription to Athlon :-)

I agree with Chargerz. Being the preseason darling is the kiss of death.

Moss - washed up one dimensional player

Stallworth - Overrated talent, injury liability

Boy are Pats fans going to be disappointed.......................

As a Pats fan I can admit that they have their holes. I don't know how the run game is going to be with only Maroney, and if he goes down they don't have much of a plan B there. Likewise the secondary stands to lose a lot if the Pats can't come to terms with Asante Samuel. He is under contract for this year due to the franchise tag, but then again so was Deion Branch last year and we saw what came of that.

Edited by Crazysight

Or he could be looking for a pass that he threw...

:D

Hey Marcus go our for a long one, run a flag pattern towards the pile of rotting dog carcasses......... oops, my bad.