[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Paging Trainer Phil please pick up the white courtesy phone

keggerz

What sort of nuggets of information about Micro Fracture surgery can you give us?

Kellen Winslow had micro fracture surgery earlier this yr and I was just wondering from your

point of view how he will respond to this(from a personal and historical point of view)

thanks

I know that it involves them drilling small holes in the knee to stimulate cartilage growth. DeShaun Foster and Amare Stoudamire are two who have had the surgery and were still able to play. Allan Houston, Andre Wadsworth, and Tony Brackens did not have much success with it. Sometimes it takes as long as a year to recover. Sometimes you bounce right back. Jason Kidd did.

The surgeon makes a tiny, quarter-inch incision on the affected knee and inserts a long thin scope (arthroscope). This scope allows the surgeon to work directly on the joint area. The surgeon uses an ice pick-like tool called an awl to drill very small holes (“microfractures”) into the bone near the defective cartilage. The injury prompts the body to make new, replacement cartilage. Bone marrow seeps out of the holes, creating a blood clot that releases cartilage-building cells.

Ouch.

The surgeon makes a tiny, quarter-inch incision on the affected knee and inserts a long thin scope (arthroscope). This scope allows the surgeon to work directly on the joint area. The surgeon uses an ice pick-like tool called an awl to drill very small holes (“microfractures”) into the bone near the defective cartilage. The injury prompts the body to make new, replacement cartilage. Bone marrow seeps out of the holes, creating a blood clot that releases cartilage-building cells.

Ouch.

:D

I know that it involves them drilling small holes in the knee to stimulate cartilage growth. DeShaun Foster and Amare Stoudamire are two who have had the surgery and were still able to play. Allan Houston, Andre Wadsworth, and Tony Brackens did not have much success with it. Sometimes it takes as long as a year to recover. Sometimes you bounce right back. Jason Kidd did.

i wasnt aware or forgot that foster had MF surgery

Good info here. :D

The only player that has had a TRULY successful recovery from microfracture is Stoudamire, IMO. When I say "truly successful", I mean a full return to previous form. There are many more that aren't successful in attempts to return, than those that are. There have been numerous careers ended and cut short after microfracture: Terrell Davis, Penny Hardaway, Tony Brackens, Kerry Kittles, Marshall Faulk, etc. There are also many who have come back to play, but only at a shadow of their previous forms: Kenyon Martin, Stephen Davis, Courtney Brown, Foster, Chris Webber, Darius Miles, etc. However they are getting better at this procedure with time, as evidenced by Stoudamire's (and Kidd's to a lesser extent) success. But they brought him along MUCH more slowly if you recall. What this means for Winslow is that there is a greater chance he doesn't ever play like he once did, and if he is to get close he'll have to go about it slowly--diminishing his FF value for this season and part of next...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I've been on a very extended vacation. The NEW wife demanded that I spend some quality time with her.

I'm very impressed with the replies in this forum.

Microfracture surgery is basically a last change surgery for active individuals who have worn out cartilage within their knee joint. Cartilage generally can't regenerate on it's own. So once it's gone, it usually stays gone. This procedure requires the drilling of small holes into bone so that marrow seeps out of the holes and hopefully with that marrow and blood clot the necessary materials to build new cartilage. There are no guarentees with this procedure but with all medical procedures doctors are getting better at it and the success rate (success being return to unrestrcited activity) has increased over the last few years. For the record the success rate in basketball players is a lot higher than in football players because obviously football is a more physically demanding sport. Unfortunately most athletes aren't the same following this type of procedure ("lose a step" is a good phrase) and while the surgery is desgined to prolong the career of athletes suffering from degenerative and or arthritic conditions they almost always end up having problems with the same joint at some point down the road with continued activity.

Now about Winslow. I plan on releasing my WR/TE injury report sometime over the next couple of weeks. So I would prefer to hold off on the details until then. But let's just say with his injury history he didn't have a single piece of viable cartilage left in his joint. If you recall he was limited in practices all season and he was on the injury report every week. His knee was swollen all the time and he played in pain every week. The Browns are hoping that he bounces back from this surgery, but don't be surprised if we end up talking about this at the same time next year. It wouldn't even surprise me if his career was over in 5 years. But before I, or any of you jump the gun, lets see how his recovery goes. You never know, maybe doctors perfected the procedure on Winslow.

Edited by Trainer_Phil

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I've been on a very extended vacation. The NEW wife demanded that I spend some quality time with her.

I hate it when personal matters get in the way of fantasy football!! :D

:D

Nice post! :tup:

Udeze also had it. Surgery was in Oct 05'. Some say his lack of performance last year was from the surgery. We shall see this year...

Vikings DE Kenechi Udeze made a surprise return to all football activities at Vikings minicamp this weekend.

Udeze had microfracture surgery only six months ago. Some players take over a year to return from such an injury and some don't return at all. "Good genes, I guess ... I've had no problems, no swelling," the 2004 first-rounder said.

damn Keggerz, this is the 2nd time you've brought up Winslow. Have him in a dynasty? Look, last year he played on one leg, what worries you this season?

i parted ways with him in 1 league and still own him in another...but the reason i brought it up is because it seems like MF surgery is pretty concerning yet there hasnt really been much about him

to answer your question directly: what worries you this season? I worry that many people will be drafting Winslow expecting him to be what he was last yr when there is a sever cloud of concern over him IMO since no football player has ever returned to their former self after having MF Surgery

DeShaun Foster has had a fine career after having it.

i dont know that i would call it a FINE career, he has never eclipsed 900 yards rushing....and my main point was RETURNING to what they were...correct me if I am wrong but when Foster entered the league I think everyone including carolina thought he was a 1000+ yrd RB

i dont know that i would call it a FINE career, he has never eclipsed 900 yards rushing....and my main point was RETURNING to what they were...correct me if I am wrong but when Foster entered the league I think everyone including carolina thought he was a 1000+ yrd RB

Well, he was a second round pick, and IIRC there were some questions about his durability that caused him to drop.

My point was that I don't think the knee every was the problem again. He broke his collar bone, and has had other injuries. But the knee has been fine.