[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Football Trivia

Duchess Jack

So... I was watching something on the NFL network some time in the last year....

there was a player - a nobody really, except for the fact that he was in the NFL - who threw for a TD, rushed for a TD and caught a TD in the same game. I believe they were all long and it was the day of or the day after his fathers death. I watched the video clips and the fact that he had never done anything before in the NFL (success wise) and the relation to his fathers death made the performance almost mythical.

Any ideas... once I find out his name I want to see if I can find the video clip online.

I think he played in the 60's or 70's

This :D

#19 Indianapolis Colts running back Joe Washington puts on a memorable performance on Sept. 18, 1978. In a driving rainstorm in New England, Washington throws a 54-yard touchdown pass, catches a 23-yard touchdown and runs a kickoff back 90 yards for a touchdown with 1:17 remaining, leading the Colts over the Patriots, 34-27

Not sure about the father's death part?

Don't know if he rushed for a TD or about the father passing away, but this was interesting:

QB Catches Own TD Pass: Against the Carolina Panthers, Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson becomes the first player in NFL history to complete a touchdown pass to himself when his pass is deflected. Johnson catches the deflection and runs three yards for a touchdown. (10/12/97)

Don't know if he rushed for a TD or about the father passing away, but this was interesting:

QB Catches Own TD Pass: Against the Carolina Panthers, Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson becomes the first player in NFL history to complete a touchdown pass to himself when his pass is deflected. Johnson catches the deflection and runs three yards for a touchdown. (10/12/97)

Ah yes... that little play got me a win that week.

Those doing that feat were:

John Henry Johnson (PIT) 1960

Keith Lincoln (SDC) 1965

Dan Reeves (DAL) 1967

Harmon Wages (ATL) 1969

Walter Payton (CHI) 1979

David Patten (NEP) 2001

Tomlinson (SDC) 2005

I'd be curious to know the exact scoring of that play. Did he get credit for both a passing TD and rec TD?

Yup.

Passing TD

Passing Yardage

Receiving TD

Receiving Yardage

My league didn't score for receptions, but if it did he would have scored there to.

John Madden just called to remind us that

"BrettFavre had a trememdous game on a Monday night, right after BrettFavre's father passed away. BrettFavre was so good that he reminded me of the young BrettFavre, the gunslinger BrettFavre who could put the ball wherever BrettFavre wanted to. There was even some question about whether BrettFavre would play or not, but BrettFavre, being who BrettFavre is, decided to play. And play BrettFavre did!"

:D Ouch...my head hurts from writing all that...