[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Superbowl Matchup 2007

Polecat

Seriously, I can tell you I don't like IND & current media darling NE to make it, nor SD. IND & NE both have virtually no RB depth, and NE has issues with its starter being injured already. SD is coached by Norv Turner - they'll struggle to win the division. I don't like PIT with the new coaching staff in the coming year. BAL is tied to old & oft-injured McNair. It seems like someone is going to come out of nowhere in the AFC. I do like DEN's chances for 2 reasons - Shanahan is going back to smashmouth running matched with a passing game with 2 athletic WRs downfield, and he finally addressed the DL deficiencies in the draft. Whether Cutler has enough moxie as a sophomore, I don't know. Who else is there? CIN and the Jets would be good darkhorses, IMO.

NFC has two very solid teams, but I don't know if either of them could be any better than the 6th or 7th team in the AFC. CHI is still crippled by Lovie going with Grossman come Hell of high water, and NO has serious D issues that it may or may not have addressed. All other NFC teams have significant issues that make them all look like also-rans.

Still, with the balance in each conference, the regular season & playoffs right up to the SB ought to be a blast.

:D

You just can't help yourself, can you?

First and foremost I think San Diego is the best team in the AFC. They should have played the Colts in the AFC champ game in San Diego, if it were not for the fortunate bounce of a turnover, being turned back over to NE. Had the DB just INT the ball and stayed down, the game was over. San Diego showed the yr before in Indy that they can rush the hell outta Indy. I like SD chances at home in that title game.

The NFC is more wide open. Philly has one of the best OL in football, and a Qb who makes good decisions. Their D is suspect, especially at LB.

New Orleans still has no D, and played above themselves on O a yr ago. I see them taking a major step back, maybe 8-8 this yr.

Chicago is also one dimensional with a suspect O, and solid D.

Carolina is everyones sleeper pick, but I dont see them putting it together with even more changes offensively, yet. And they still have holes at LB and in their seconday.

SF is at least a yr away, The Giants will be hurt even more without Tiki, and the Cards or rams are probably 2 yrs away.

That leaves Dallas and Seattle, whom I think are the most balanced, on offense, and defense.

San Diego and Dallas are somewhat mirror teams.

San Diego uses the 3-4 D, that new Dallas HC installed while with SD. Dallas is now changing to a more conventional 3-4, than the one Parcells used.

Dallas already uses a Norv Turner offense, that San Diego has used since he was their OC in LT's rookie yr. Now Norv is the Bolts HC.

Both of these coaches now how to attack and defend each other. Boht of these teams have suspect secondaries, but Merriman made up for that last yr with his pass rush. the loss of Donnie Edwards at LB will be missed, and demarcus Ware gets a tag team partner opposite him in Anthony Spencer. Both of these D will be lights out, no Merriman pun intended. On O, its hard to overlook the clear advantage LT is over J Jones/Barber. But its similar at WR, with the Boys ability to stretch the field where Rivers wont have that luxury, and will have to use LT more. Which obviously isnt a bad thing.

The SB is a hype machine, and think of the Hype of this story. Each is responsible for the success of the other team, while now coaching their team.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I think the Saints will have a bit of a let down year...

I see the Chargers vs. the Panthers

Well, now we know what match-up absolutely WON'T happen...... :D

:D

Once again, these questions work better if you ask "Pretending your favorite team doesn't exist, who do you think will play in next year's Super Bowl ?"

Thats like saying, pretend Roger Federer doesnt exist, who will win the next yrs Wimbledon. Problem is Roger does exist. So I ask why would you count out, who you honestly think will be in the game, when that team exists.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I think the NFC is wide-open this year, and any of the solid squads (NO, SF, PHL, DAL, CHI) could make a better-than-expected run, or just plain get hot at the right time (like the Steelers two years ago, when they were 7-5, and decided to win their final 8 games). Each of those teams has their own set of questions and potential weaknesses, but the Saints appear to be the one with the least. I do beleive they are more vulnerable to some losses than they were last year, as it seemed 2006 was a magical year of being the savior for a city, and performing over their heads for much of the year. In 2007, they'll surprise no one, and play a division-winner schedule to boot. 10-6 looks right, but it should be enough to get them the division. But because of the greuling schedule, they will be tested enough to win as a visitor at any of the other teams listed above in the playoffs. All the other teams have injury issues/new coaches/free agent losses/unproven impact players...the Saints lost little in comparison, and the core of what made them successful last year is in tact. They carry the risk that they won't duplicate 2006, but have far fewer question marks than the other teams.

San Diego vs. New Orleans.

I like what I'm reading here!! :D
+1

San Diego is my pick for the AFC as well, but I can't bring myself to be so bold as to pick the Saints to play them although I think they have the best chance from the NFC. :D

Excuse me..... Could you all please quit picking my Saints to go to the Superbowl. I dont think I can handle the pressure of such a prediction.

Thank You. Carry on!

:tup:

Thats like saying, pretend Roger Federer doesnt exist, who will win the next yrs Wimbledon. Problem is Roger does exist. So I ask why would you count out, who you honestly think will be in the game, when that team exists.

The Cowboys are not the football equivalent of Roger Federer.

Wow, what an awful comparison. :D One is a five time reigning champion, and the other is just another good team in a conference loaded with good teams but lacking any great teams. If the cowboys had won the last four Super Bowls, then yeah, feel free to pick them.

I think the Colts will return in the AFC

The NFC is very, very cloudy and solid points can be made for at least 7 or 8 teams to represent the NFC, but while I'm predicting nothing this year, I will give a comparison.

The 2007 Panthers are much like the 2003 Panthers. The D was solid but the O had to improve......Stephen Davis came aboard and the O did improve. While there are question marks concerning the new O....for arguments sake let's just say it clicks like a well oiled machine, and Fox unleashes Williams outta the backfeild and let's Smitty have his favorite plays back and it's just flat out hard to figure where it's going to come from.....light years from the old scheme. The D should be better now that some players have a year under there belt and the LB corp got younger-faster and better with the addition of Beason, add in that T Davis has finally gotten the D down as well..I think there OK.

The 2002 team was 7-9...the2003 team 11-5 NFC Champs. There are some similarities here and they are an every other year team..play MUCH better with a chip on their collective shoulders. The usual pieces are there for a good season for the Panthers..including the schedule....like 2003.

Edited by PantherDave

I'm going to jump into the Chargers vs. Saints camp.

I think the Chargers are as complete of a team in the NFL today and, if Rivers can keep the offense rolling, I have a hard time seeing anyone but the Pats or Colts making trouble for them.

As for the NFC, like everyone else I am less sure. If the defense can stay strong, (you have to like their offense) they will be tough. There are a greater number of teams that could trip the Saints up in NFC (as opposed to the AFC). Dallas, Philly, Bears, Panthers, Seattle, and even the Niners could surprise.

Edited by TDFFFreak

San Diego and Dallas are somewhat mirror teams.

:D Dallas is actually one of those teams that will make Grossman look good this year. Nobody to pressure him and unless Hamlin and Roy play 30 yards off scrimmage, neither have the speed to defend the only play Rex knows how to run: long bomb to Berrian. We may as well just line up Berrian, Bradley, and Hester and have Rex just tell 'em, "Run that way really fast!"

IMO, the Colts and Bears have too many unresolved issues to make it back (although the Bears are still the best team in the NFC). Right now, it's difficult to argue with the Pats winning the AFC. And I have no idea who's going to step up in the quagmire of mediocrity known as the NFC.

Did Steve Young come over to your house and give you a speech therapy lesson? :D

Sorry. It just sounds like something that would tumble out of his mouth.