[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft picks - Who will be the busts?

peepinmofo

Every year there are busts, and there are sleepers. I havent heard anything really negative about anyone yet this offseason and am curious who everyone thinks will bust. Meachem is already dinged up a tad, but will he bust? CJ went to the Lions as yet another WR stud who is supposed to be the greatest - Will he bust?

Those are not my choices, just food for thought...

Who do YOU see as a likely candidate to bust more than boom?

JaMarcus Russell is going to have a really hard time because he will be expected to carry that SORRY offense in Oakland. He has no help on the horizon. A big arm may be impressive in workouts but it takes more than that to be successful in NFL.

Ted Ginn Jr (I'm skeptical, even though he has the potential to eventually develop into a Santana Moss-type player)

Robert Meachem (just have a bad feeling about this guy)

Brady Quinn (decent player, but overrated)

Chris Henry (not sure what Fisher sees in him)

Edited by Big Talker

JaMarcus Russell – It takes more than a big arm to play in the NFL. Guys with his physical ability have been perennial clip board holders before. His poor judgment and inaccuracy may be his downfall. He played on an LSU team that had lots of superior athletes around him to cover his weaknesses – he doesn’t have that luxury in the NFL. History says that it’s likely that one of the top 2 QBs picked will be a huge bust – this guy is my pick between he & Brady.

Levi Brown – slow feet and poor footwork is a poor combination for an OT in the NFL. AZ is going to have him protect Leinart’s blindside and he may get Leinart killed when a DE blows by him and gets a clean path to the QB.

Ted Ginn Jr. – One dimensional WR. Think Ashlie Lelie. At least he’ll recoup some value by returning kicks, but you expect more from such a high pick.

Lawrence Timmons – I don’t think he’ll be a bust, but he’ll take a couple of years to develop, which might make some dynasty IDP owners give up on him. He’s starting off badly with his injuries also.

Michael Griffin – Not strong enough or big enough to play S and not fast enough to play CB. He’s a classic tweener in where his weaknesses just can’t be covered up for. I smell a career mediocre FS in the making.

Aaron Ross – Doesn’t have the mind for the game or a taste for contact. He’ll get some picks, but he’s going to give up some big plays, too. Probably way too many big plays. Elvis Peacock may relinquish the “Toast” tag to this guy.

Dwayne Bowe – I actually like Bowe, but not as the #1 WR that he’s going to be asked to be in KC. He doesn’t have good explosion or acceleration off the line and once NFL CBs figure that out, they be jamming him like crazy and disrupting his ability to get into his patterns on time. I like him much better as a #2 or even better a slot receiver, where he can be moved around and get some space from the LoS.

Anthony Spencer – I think NFL OTs are just going to engulf this guy. He’s a speed rusher, but he’ll be playing against OTs who can counter that speed, and he simply doesn’t have the power/strength/guile game to make up for that.

Robert Meachem – I love his athletic ability, but TEN WRs have a poor track record recently in the NFL and he’s off to a bad start with his attitude & conditioning. He acts like an athlete who expects everything to come easy to him, and a lack of work ethic has washed out a lot of guys before. Someone had better get into his head, and quick.

Greg Olsen – I don’t think he’ll be a bust as a player, but did he ever go to the wrong team for a TE who covers his lack of blocking desire & skills with his trade off in receiving ability. Talk about your mismatch in needs of the position by the team and player ability.

Based on the heightened expectations and the recent draft history and/or bad luck of the team, Im gonna go out on a limb with Calvin Johnson as a possible bust. There's gonna be alot of pressure on that kid, something Im not sure he's equipped to deal with, and there are two other very good receivers on that team that will be catching a fair share of passes. I dont expect his #s will be what people are hoping for. But beyond this season, who exactly is the QB of the future for this team? Kitna? Stanton? When is this team going to tire of winning 3 or 4 games every year and make a move in the front office and get rid of the ex-LB who drafts WRs in the 1st round every year. His track record for drafting 1st round offensive players includes Joey Harrington, Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Kevin Jones and Mike Williams. One of those 5 has been reasonable successful, and the other 4 were basically wasted picks...in retrospect. Ever heard of drafting a decent Olinman in the 1st fellas??? Im not going to bet on Calvin because so much of the individual player's success depends on the team and the opportunity for SUCCESS that it provides. And I cant pretend that this miserable excuse for a franchise led by a perennial backup QB with probably one year left as a starter and no clear organizational leadership up top, with an O coordinator who will jump ship to a better opportunity the first chance he gets, provides much chance for Johnson to be successful to the level of other's expectations. jmho.

Chris Henry

Dwayne Jarrett

WRs take more time to get adjusted to the NFL and both will get playing time with their teams, but not much will be expected from either at this point. Besides, how to you call two Mid-2nd rounders busts without giving them at least up to 3 years to prove themselves. I think Jarrett was a steal at #45 and will outperform several of the guys taken in the 1st.

WRs take more time to get adjusted to the NFL and both will get playing time with their teams, but not much will be expected from either at this point. Besides, how to you call two Mid-2nd rounders busts without giving them at least up to 3 years to prove themselves. I think Jarrett was a steal at #45 and will outperform several of the guys taken in the 1st.

I think he was referring to the RB in Tennessee. I agree with you on Jarrett though. Key wasnt fast, but he could catch anything. I see Jarrett as that type of player.

JaMarcus Russell – It takes more than a big arm to play in the NFL. Guys with his physical ability have been perennial clip board holders before. His poor judgment and inaccuracy may be his downfall. He played on an LSU team that had lots of superior athletes around him to cover his weaknesses – he doesn’t have that luxury in the NFL. History says that it’s likely that one of the top 2 QBs picked will be a huge bust – this guy is my pick between he & Brady.

Levi Brown – slow feet and poor footwork is a poor combination for an OT in the NFL. AZ is going to have him protect Leinart’s blindside and he may get Leinart killed when a DE blows by him and gets a clean path to the QB.

Ted Ginn Jr. – One dimensional WR. Think Ashlie Lelie. At least he’ll recoup some value by returning kicks, but you expect more from such a high pick.

Lawrence Timmons – I don’t think he’ll be a bust, but he’ll take a couple of years to develop, which might make some dynasty IDP owners give up on him. He’s starting off badly with his injuries also.

Michael Griffin – Not strong enough or big enough to play S and not fast enough to play CB. He’s a classic tweener in where his weaknesses just can’t be covered up for. I smell a career mediocre FS in the making.

Aaron Ross – Doesn’t have the mind for the game or a taste for contact. He’ll get some picks, but he’s going to give up some big plays, too. Probably way too many big plays. Elvis Peacock may relinquish the “Toast” tag to this guy.

Dwayne Bowe – I actually like Bowe, but not as the #1 WR that he’s going to be asked to be in KC. He doesn’t have good explosion or acceleration off the line and once NFL CBs figure that out, they be jamming him like crazy and disrupting his ability to get into his patterns on time. I like him much better as a #2 or even better a slot receiver, where he can be moved around and get some space from the LoS.

Anthony Spencer – I think NFL OTs are just going to engulf this guy. He’s a speed rusher, but he’ll be playing against OTs who can counter that speed, and he simply doesn’t have the power/strength/guile game to make up for that.

Robert Meachem – I love his athletic ability, but TEN WRs have a poor track record recently in the NFL and he’s off to a bad start with his attitude & conditioning. He acts like an athlete who expects everything to come easy to him, and a lack of work ethic has washed out a lot of guys before. Someone had better get into his head, and quick.

Greg Olsen – I don’t think he’ll be a bust as a player, but did he ever go to the wrong team for a TE who covers his lack of blocking desire & skills with his trade off in receiving ability. Talk about your mismatch in needs of the position by the team and player ability.

Nice post! I agree with all except for Spencer and Bowe. I think Spencer will end up being a solid player. Bowe may struggle a bit this year but I don't think he'll be a bust - unless you're expecting #1 receiver numbers out of a rookie.

Calvin Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Greg Olsen

:D

Adrian Peterson? This choice surprises me. The guy was a beast in college. I can't imagine him being a bust in the pros. Why did you list him?? :D

Edited by Chargerz

Adrian Peterson? This choice surprises me. The guy was a beast in college. I can't imagine him being a bust in the pros. Why did you list him?? :D

He's a Packer fan hoping our competitors all are busts. :D

Peterson runs crazy, physical and wild...... a little like Cadillac WIlliams. Playing on turf, and against bigger, nastier, stronger competition might be a recipe for injury. He's already been pretty brittle in college. Its not gettin any eaiser in the pros. I think if he busts, it will be for that reason.

Peterson runs crazy, physical and wild...... a little like Cadillac WIlliams. Playing on turf, and against bigger, nastier, stronger competition might be a recipe for injury. He's already been pretty brittle in college. Its not gettin any eaiser in the pros. I think if he busts, it will be for that reason.

Comparing Peterson to Williams is laughable. They play nothing alike. AD is fast, Caddy is not. AD is big, Caddy is small. AD has great vision, Caddy has limited vision. AD plays behind one of the top Olines in the league, Caddy behind one of the worst. AD was a beast in college, Caddy was slightly above average...

Also, playing on turf is the recipe for blowing past defenders not injuries. Emmit and Barry did pretty well on turf...

A broken clavicle makes you brittle? Bad choice of words...

Comparing Peterson to Williams is laughable. They play nothing alike. AD is fast, Caddy is not. AD is big, Caddy is small. AD has great vision, Caddy has limited vision. AD plays behind one of the top Olines in the league, Caddy behind one of the worst. AD was a beast in college, Caddy was slightly above average...

Also, playing on turf is the recipe for blowing past defenders not injuries. Emmit and Barry did pretty well on turf...

A broken clavicle makes you brittle? Bad choice of words...

right....tell that to Charles Rogers. And youre already comparing this guy to Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders?? Talk about a bad choice of words. The guy had 2 straight seasons shortened by injury.....call it what you want. And how big exactly is this guy?? Isnt he about 220? Cadillac is between 215 and 220. How much bigger is that? Five pounds? Cadillac was a top 5 back as well on an undefeated national championship team out of the SEC. How soon we forget about these guys after they get hurt and dissapoint a little in the league......

Wow, this is deja vu all over again.

Again, don't disagree with the call as Ginn being a potential flop, but the "think Ashlie Lelie" statement is unequivocally inane. OK, we get it, Ashlie Lelie was/is a one-dimensional player. But not the same dimension as Ginn. Please stop confusing us, thanks.

right....tell that to Charles Rogers. And youre already comparing this guy to Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders?? Talk about a bad choice of words. The guy had 2 straight seasons shortened by injury.....call it what you want. And how big exactly is this guy?? Isnt he about 220? Cadillac is between 215 and 220. How much bigger is that? Five pounds? Cadillac was a top 5 back as well on an undefeated national championship team out of the SEC. How soon we forget about these guys after they get hurt and dissapoint a little in the league......

I'm not comparing him to anyone. Are you literate? Sanders and Smith played their entire careers on turf with very little in the way of injuires. So turf has little to do with anything...

Caddy was 5'11 205 coming out of college. Peterson is 6'2 220. HUGH difference.

I'm not comparing him to anyone. Are you literate? Sanders and Smith played their entire careers on turf with very little in the way of injuires. So turf has little to do with anything...

Caddy was 5'11 205 coming out of college. Peterson is 6'2 220. HUGH difference.

Who exactly is HUGH?? Did you mean huge? And do I still need to fill you in on whether or not Im literate? Cmon....lets atleast be somewhat serious here. Youre making some big deal out of Peterson being a power back and having all this size......maybe in college. So was Cedric Benson. Your point? Look, 220 is NOT big in the NFL. Especially at 6'1 or even 6'2. The guy is NOT 6'2 by the way, and both of these guys right now are being listed at 217lbs. Peterson is a couple of inches taller, so if anything he's slighter in build. He's very ripped, but big and powerful in the NFL is not what he is or he'll be. And again......Emmitt and Barry as some basis of comparison in any way at all right now is just ridiculous. I dont care if they played their entire careers on friggin' Italian marble, it wouldnt have mattered. Emmitt ran behind by far the most dominant Oline in the history of football, and Barry was the slickest, most elusive joker the world has ever seen......and neither guy was SIX FEET TWO.

Who exactly is HUGH?? Did you mean huge? And do I still need to fill you in on whether or not Im literate? Cmon....lets atleast be somewhat serious here. Youre making some big deal out of Peterson being a power back and having all this size......maybe in college. So was Cedric Benson. Your point? Look, 220 is NOT big in the NFL. Especially at 6'1 or even 6'2. The guy is NOT 6'2 by the way, and both of these guys right now are being listed at 217lbs. Peterson is a couple of inches taller, so if anything he's slighter in build. He's very ripped, but big and powerful in the NFL is not what he is or he'll be. And again......Emmitt and Barry as some basis of comparison in any way at all right now is just ridiculous. I dont care if they played their entire careers on friggin' Italian marble, it wouldnt have mattered. Emmitt ran behind by far the most dominant Oline in the history of football, and Barry was the slickest, most elusive joker the world has ever seen......and neither guy was SIX FEET TWO.

Hang around long enough and you'll find out. And yes, he meant huge but it's not spelled that way here. Huddle-isms, you'll learn them. :D