[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Brady and the mediocrity gauge

Hugh 0ne

LOL, Branch has three more 100-yd games in the playoffs than Marvin Harrison and one more SB MVP - and Marvin's been in the league six years longer!

Then look it up. Oh, wait, he was: 31 receptions, 440 yds, and 2 TDs in the '03/04 playoffs! :D

You're right. Branch is way better than Harrison. Make sure you take Branch with an early pick in your drafts before he gets away from you. Just a matter of time until he starts shattering Jerry Rice's numbers.

Ever think that maybe it was Brady that made Brown and Branch look good, and not the other way around? :D

Edited by Belushi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. Branch is way better than Harrison.

You need to giggidy-giggidy go back and read my post again.

Ever think that maybe it was Brady that made Brown and Branch look good, and not the other way around? :D

The same Brady that failed to make David Givens, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, and Doug Gabriel look good? No, I don't think so. Neither do the Seahawks or Brady himself. BTW, Brown caught 83 passes in 2000 under Bledsoe.

Edited by Bill Swerski

The same Brady that failed to make David Givens, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, and Doug Gabriel look good? No, I don't think so. Neither do the Seahawks or Brady himself. BTW, Brown caught 83 passes in 2000 under Bledsoe.

Thanks for proving my point. Caldwell had his best season ever with Brady (doubled his career high), and he became a viable fantasy receiver. Gaffney in the play-offs last year looked like a pro-bowler.

And what has David Givens and Gabriel ever done with other QB's? Man, you need to work on some better arguments. Saying that Brady isn't that good because he didn't make Givens and Gabriel pro-bowlers is ridiculous. Thanks to the stats Givens put up with Brady, he got a fat contract with Tennesse and has done nothing since. Gabriel's fighting to be the 3rd WR on a terrible Oakland offence. You're not helping yourself.

Thanks for proving my point. Caldwell had his best season ever with Brady (doubled his career high), and he became a viable fantasy receiver. Gaffney in the play-offs last year looked like a pro-bowler.

Gaffney played well in the playoffs. Caldwell was mediocre as all hell for a supposed #1 last year and arguably cost the Pats a trip to the SB in his last game.

And what has David Givens and Gabriel ever done with other QB's? Man, you need to work on some better arguments. Saying that Brady isn't that good because he didn't make Givens and Gabriel pro-bowlers is ridiculous.

Um, I'd say that you're the one who needs to work on his arguments because that's not what I said. In fact, that's probably the worst straw man argument I've seen in a long time. I never said that "Brady isn't that good" and I've consistently said that he's a HOF QB here over the past few years.

I won't argue that Brady doesn't make his receivers better, because he obviously does. ALL great QBs do. But anybody who's bothered to watch the games can tell you that Deion Branch is a significantly better wideout that Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, and David Givens. It's not even close. Hell, I remember Brady talking about how much Branch changes their offense a few years ago when Branch was coming back from an injury. There were reports of Brady going ballistic behind closed doors after Branch was dealt last September. I don't recall him throwing a fit when Givens was shown the door. And, of course, there's the fact that the Seahawks not only gave up a first-round pick, but also $13 million in guaranteed money for him and thought enough of him that they deemed Darrell Jackson expendable.

I never said that Branch was a HOF wideout, but he's certainly not the mediocre product-of-the-system that you're portraying him as. And quite a few people who know football a lot better than you or I agree.

Edited by Bill Swerski

And, of course, there's the fact that the Seahawks not only gave up a first-round pick, but also $13 million in guaranteed money for him and thought enough of him that they deemed Darrell Jackson expendable.

Just so your clear on this, The Seahawks did not make DJax expendable because of Deion Branch, he became expendable because of his reocurring injuries (which the 49ers are now seeing) and more importantly the improved play of DJ Hackett who WILL LEAD the Seahawks in catches and receiving yards this year. :D

Just so you're clear on this, The Seahawks did not make DJax expendable because of Deion Branch, he became expendable because of his reocurring injuries (which the 49ers are now seeing)

So you're saying that the Seahawks would've gladly gone into this season with Hackett, Burleson, and Engram? I don't necessarily agree. Burleson sucks (as a wideout, not so much on special teams), Engram is an aging slot receiver who MIGHT be able to pass as a #2, and Hackett is still developing. D-Jax's injuries were undoubtedly a huge part of their decision, but keep in mind that they didn't trade him until AFTER they traded for Branch. I'm sure that D-Jax's fake "holdout" last summer also had a lot to do with the Branch signing, and that D-Jax's whining about Branch's contract confirmed their suspicion that D-Jax would be a problem if they didn't move him.

and more importantly the improved play of DJ Hackett who WILL LEAD the Seahawks in catches and receiving yards this year. :D

He just might. The kid's got a ton of talent.

Perhaps you should proof read your posts before submission. "Branch has one more SB MVP then Harrison". :D

No, I'd say that you're the one who is in need of proofreading. At least we know now that you're not a professor. :D

Branch has one SB MVP. Marvin has zero. That's a difference of one. Do I need to explain further?

Edited by Bill Swerski

No, I'd say that you're the one who is in need of proofreading. At least we know now that you're not a professor. :tup:

Branch has one SB MVP. Marvin has zero. That's a difference of one. Do I need to explain further?

Good Lord I hope your not as dumb in person as you are when the keyboard is in front of you. My point is, and I'll go s l o w for you ........

Your point about comparing the number of Super Bowl MVP rings holds no weight since Mr. Branch has played in multiple Super Bowls and Mr. Harrison has played in only O N E! :D

I could draw you a picture if that would help? :D

Good Lord I hope your not as dumb in person as you are when the keyboard is in front of you. My point is, and I'll go s l o w for you ........

Your point about comparing the number of Super Bowl MVP rings holds no weight since Mr. Branch has played in multiple Super Bowls and Mr. Harrison has played in only O N E! :D

I could draw you a picture if that would help? :tup:

My God, your posts are horrible. :D

Branch has played in TWO Super Bowls. Marvin Harrison has played in ONE. That's not a vast difference. We're not talking about Jerry Rice's FOUR Super Bowls vs. one.

Branch is 1-for-2 in SB MVPs. Marvin is 0-for-1. I'd say that Deion has a bit of an advantage there, even if he did play in one more SB.

Also, Marvin has played in FOURTEEN playoff games and has ONE 100-yd performance. (No wonder he doesn't have any playoff MVP awards!) Branch has played in only TEN playoff games and has FOUR TIMES as many.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Swerski you still on this ? Man in italian we say gabadost ..stubborn even when wrong

Deion branch is not half the receiver harrison is ..a whole bunch of other receivers for pats were basically journeymen and 3rd options on prior teams but brady has won multiple sb and made most of them look better than they ever have ..that's the pt here and I do not see one iota of proof that this is incorrect based on the 47 postings you did in this thread

Swerski you still on this ? Man in italian we say gabadost ..stubborn even when wrong

Deion branch is not half the receiver harrison is ..a whole bunch of other receivers for pats were basically journeymen and 3rd options on prior teams but brady has won multiple sb and made most of them look better than they ever have ..that's the pt here and I do not see one iota of proof that this is incorrect based on the 47 postings you did in this thread

Well, no kidding that Deion isn't half the receiver that Harrison is. Then again, Drew Brees isn't half the QB that Steve Young was... but that fact doesn't make Brees a mediocre product of his system.

If you want to continue to believe that Branch is an overrated, mediocre player, go right ahead. People who know a hell of a lot more about football than you do strongly disagree.

Well, no kidding that Deion isn't half the receiver that Harrison is. Then again, Drew Brees isn't half the QB that Steve Young was... but that fact doesn't make Brees a mediocre product of his system.

If you want to continue to believe that Branch is an overrated, mediocre player, go right ahead. People who know a hell of a lot more about football than you do strongly disagree.

You went off topic ..I am not killing branch rather I am raising up Brady

But I want so to learn more about football ..teach me please , teach me

You went off topic ..I am not killing branch rather I am raising up Brady

Well, then we agree. Brady's a first-ballot HOFer and a really freaking good QB. And like all other stud QBs, he makes many of his mediocre WRs look better than they really are. My point was that Branch is not David Givens, Reche Caldwell, or David Patten.

+1 :D

I love this stuff. the Brady mediocrity talk, though of course not much more than a clear fishing trip, reminds me of how people viewed Aikman back in his day. The guy never threw for 4000yds, had 20 or more TDs once (23), played with a great cast, specifically an Oline that was probably the best in football history, and had back from the best D of the time. It was almost as if the Cowboys won those 3 rings in the 90s despite Troy Aikman. Then on the other side of the conference, there was Steve Young with all the gaudy #s, the great WR, the pressure, the accolades, the AllPro honors.......and the ONE ring. Sound familiar? Both guys were great, but their greatness couldnt be clearly compared because their STATS bore no comparison. Brady, imo, is the modern day Aikman.....not Montana. So, as a Pats fan, for Tom Brady to draw a pretty strong comparison to a guy like Aikman seems beyond complimentary. And doesnt exactly make me want to throw up in my own mouth. But for selfish reasons and fantasy sake, I hope Brady does throw for 30plus TDs this year so his HOF #s look a little more like Montana's than Aikman's. But for the record, anyone who can find Jabar Gafney for double digit catches in an NFL game when it matters deserves to go straight to the hall minus the 5 year wait. jmho.

Edited by hitch

I love this stuff. the Brady mediocrity talk, though of course not much more than a clear fishing trip, reminds me of how people viewed Aikman back in his day. The guy never threw for 4000yds, had 20 or more TDs once (23), played with a great cast, specifically an Oline that was probably the best in football history, and had back from the best D of the time. It was almost as if the Cowboys won those 3 rings in the 90s despite Troy Aikman. Then on the other side of the conference, there was Steve Young with all the gaudy #s, the great WR, the pressure, the accolades, the AllPro honors.......and the ONE ring. Sound familiar? Both guys were great, but their greatness couldnt be clearly compared because their STATS bore no comparison. Brady, imo, is the modern day Aikman.....not Montana. So, as a Pats fan, for Tom Brady to draw a pretty strong comparison to a guy like Aikman seems beyond complimentary. And doesnt exactly make me want to throw up in my own mouth. But for selfish reasons and fantasy sake, I hope Brady does throw for 30plus TDs this year so his HOF #s look a little more like Montana's than Aikman's. But for the record, anyone who can find Jabar Gafney for double digit catches in an NFL game when it matters deserves to go straight to the hall minus the 5 year wait. jmho.

Only problem with the Brady to Aikman comparison, is well, it's wrong. Brady DOES have the numbers. In fact his numbers dwarf anything Aikman ever did. He's thrown for over 4,000 yards. He's thrown for 3,500 yards 5 consecutive years. Aikman NEVER went over 3,500 yards. EVER. Brady hasn't hit 30 tds in a year yet, but has thrown for 20+ five consecutive years, twice hitting 28 (and leading the league). Aikaman went over 20 ONCE, 23. Brady will pass Aikman for career TDs this year, in his 8th year (7th as a starter) Aikman played 12 years. Aikman was the ULTIMATE system QB. And a damn good one. But to compare Aikman to Brady is just ignorant of the facts.

people need to realize that Brady has had to go against the.... the Dolphins, Jets and Bills.

not to hard to make it deep in the playoffs when you are limited to 10 games a season against NFL quality teams

That argument makes no sense. Who you play in the reg has no influence on who you play in the post. It's all about who wins.

If that was the case, then someone from the NFC North would be in the SB every year. That division has been unbelievably weak for 10 years...

people need to realize that Brady has had to go against the.... the Dolphins, Jets and Bills.

not to hard to make it deep in the playoffs when you are limited to 10 games a season against NFL quality teams

The Dolphins and Jets defenses didn't exactly suck last season. I imagine that they'll probably be at least halfway decent this year as well.

don't know which Dolphins you were watching...

ooops. didn't see defense.

not that my post wasn't offered tongue-in-cheek anyway.

Brady is a stud. Can't stand the SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!!er, but he's a stud

Edited by Duchess Jack