[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears' backfield interview

URLACHERisGOD

Benson primed to excel as Bears feature back

There’s not that pressure of who’s going to be “the guy,” so he doesn’t have to worry about that. He’s comfortable. He knows he’s going to be the guy and he’s taken off.

I was quite disappointed when Chicago traded TJ but, now Benson's the guy. I don't know if Benson can handle being the featured back but, it appears that he is working his tail off to be just that: a featured back. Sounds like he's had a bit of an attitude adjustment from last year.

Benson primed to excel as Bears feature back

I was quite disappointed when Chicago traded TJ but, now Benson's the guy. I don't know if Benson can handle being the featured back but, it appears that he is working his tail off to be just that: a featured back. Sounds like he's had a bit of an attitude adjustment from last year.

So now he's working his tail off to be the featured back? What was he doing before when he was given the chance to compete for the starting role? :D

So now he's working his tail off to be the featured back? What was he doing before when he was given the chance to compete for the starting role? :D

He was whining to the media about how it should be handed to him, since he was the #1 pick and was making more money than Jones.

There’s not that pressure of who’s going to be “the guy,” so he doesn’t have to worry about that. He’s comfortable. He knows he’s going to be the guy and he’s taken off.

In other words, Benson comes off as a biiitch. Great.

I'm pulling for him, but he APPEARS to have a sense of entitlement based on very little NFL achievements.

In other words, Benson comes off as a biiitch. Great.

I'm pulling for him, but he APPEARS to have a sense of entitlement based on very little NFL achievements.

True but he was a star at UT. :D

Adrian Peterson sucks. And he would probably split carries with Garrett Wolfe if Benson went down.

He averaged 5.1 yards per carry on 76 attempts in 2005. That's better than Benson's been able to do.

And I hardly think all 5'7" of Wolfe will survive many downs in the NFL. But feel free to draft him.

He averaged 5.1 yards per carry on 76 attempts in 2005. That's better than Benson's been able to do.

That's nice, but he did that late in games to spell Jones - when opposing defenses were dragging ass. Why do you suppose that the Bears signed Jones and drafted Benson during Peterson's tenure on the Bears?

And I hardly think all 5'7" of Wolfe will survive many downs in the NFL. But feel free to draft him.

No thanks. I know better than to draft scat backs or career third-stringers who would be in RBBC situations.

That's nice, but he did that late in games to spell Jones - when opposing defenses were dragging ass. Why do you suppose that the Bears signed Jones and drafted Benson during Peterson's tenure on the Bears?

No thanks. I know better than to draft scat backs or career third-stringers who would be in RBBC situations.

I won't go so far as to say the guy sucks. He's been a solid special teamer, and you can point out 'late in the game' all you want, but his YPC is something many backs who only appears 'late in the game' do NOT have. Although in the league longer, he's done about what Brandon Jacobs has done: make an impact when called upon.

The problem is he's a complete unknown as a full time back, which is fine if you're 3rd string (like last year) but not so hot when you're backing up Cedric Benson, who gets dinged. His ceiling apperas to be, what Brandon Jacobs has done thus far but without the apparent future potential. That's Angelo's fault, but then again he believes in the guy, so he obviously likes his potential

Garrett Wolfe looks like fun, and if they put him in the slot he'll have some traction. But that looks to have gone to Hester, with his 'move to offense' so I don't understand why they took Wolfe, with guys like The Nasti from UHawaii on the board. He looks like he can take an NFL hit.

You're correct that he doesn't "suck", as he is pretty solid on special teams. But I don't see where the comparison to Brandon Jacobs comes from. Jacobs is a huge, short-yardage guy. Peterson is only 5'10", 206, which is pretty small for a halfback. I also don't see where Peterson has made a huge impact. He's looked good in limited work but, again, limited work doesn't mean much. If his listed weight is correct, he might have to put on some mass to be an every-down back.

I don't understand the drafting of Wolfe, either. I imagine that he might be used as a third-down back if Angelo isn't satisfied with Benson or Peterson's receiving ability. :D

You do realize he is talking about the Bears AP and not the Vikings AP??

I don't think that he does.

The fact that Angelo spent a good chunk of change on Thomas Jones, a first-round pick and even more change on Benson two years later, and drafted Garrett Wolfe back in April tells you what you need to now about his confidence in Peterson as a featured (fantasy-relevant) halfback.

Not interested in AP but why did they draft Benson? It seems his injury concerns were mostly in the past at that point.

Not interested in AP but why did they draft Benson? It seems his injury concerns were mostly in the past at that point.

Jones missed a couple of games in '04, but pretty much carried that pathetic offense that year. Agreed that his injury concerns were not tremendous at that point. Angelo absolutely did NOT need to spend a Top 5 pick on Benson in '05, and Jones made him look like an idiot for doing so.

Jones missed a couple of games in '04, but pretty much carried that pathetic offense that year. Agreed that his injury concerns were not tremendous at that point. Angelo absolutely did NOT need to spend a Top 5 pick on Benson in '05, and Jones made him look like an idiot for doing so.

Could've been worse. At least they didn't pick PacMan or Mike Williams. :D

The fact remains that Jones hadn’t ever proved himself over a long haul and the same injury wise. Benson was a workhorse in college and the ideal kind of back for the Bears and their running system. I agree with you though, in hindsight, they should have addressed something else but who would they have gotten? Mike Williams? Shawn Merriman looks like the obvious choice but that is with hindsight too.

The fact remains that Jones hadn’t ever proved himself over a long haul and the same injury wise. Benson was a workhorse in college and the ideal kind of back for the Bears and their running system. I agree with you though, in hindsight, they should have addressed something else but who would they have gotten? Mike Williams? Shawn Merriman looks like the obvious choice but that is with hindsight too.

They could've traded down and taken a change-of-pace back in the 2nd or 3rd round. Not sure who I would've taken in the first, though. Good thing that they already had Vasher and Tillman, as that would've taken Pacman Jones out of consideration. :D

While Benson had a phenominal college career, I don't think that his plodding style of running translates well into the NFL.

While Benson had a phenominal college career, I don't think that his plodding style of running translates well into the NFL.

He's a tough runner behind a strong line. I think he'll put up some nice numbers this year.

I felt strong enough about it that I just took him in the second round of my dynasty draft.