[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears' backfield interview

URLACHERisGOD

Benson is a great position to do well this year. A 1st round RB now entering his 3rd season being handed the reins on a team that is successful running the ball and dedicated to it.

This is about as vanilla of a comment as you can get.

It's not about where he was drafted, it's about what he did show last year, more than anything. He's more versatile than they've used him so far.

They could've traded down and taken a change-of-pace back in the 2nd or 3rd round. Not sure who I would've taken in the first, though. Good thing that they already had Vasher and Tillman, as that would've taken Pacman Jones out of consideration. :D

While Benson had a phenominal college career, I don't think that his plodding style of running translates well into the NFL.

I'm glad you backed off the AP "sucks" comment, IndyFan Bill.

I still believe their best pick that year would have been Derrick Johnson...they picked the wrong kid out of Texas. Could have possibly made the Briggs situation much less complex, even though they play different spots.

With that being said, I don't really think Benson has a "plodding" style. He did show, with enough carries last year, that he can hit it tight and can bounce as well, and that bounce will only get better with more experience.

Losing TJ might hurt, but he was more workmanlike than anything else. He rarely broke the long one, and almost always got run down, oftentimes by LB's, not just DB's. He clearly has better vision and instinct than Benson, but after a year of full time duty, I don't think the drop off is going to be noticed, and the ceiling is even higher for Benson....even though my personal feeling is that he's a prima donna.

If he gets hurt, AP can fill in, but he's several notches below.

Remember how the Bears used Pinky in the past? That's what I'm expecting from Hester this year...that will be fun to watch.