[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TriTip Roasts

Big Country

So, I'm looking for some marinades and or rubs for a tri tip roast. Was at Costco last night and their tri tip looked reral good so I picked up a pack. I believe it is two tritips, as it is just under 4 pounds of meat.

I saw a recipe in a magazine the other day I believe that was a garlic and rosemary based marinade that I want to try.

Looking for other options for the second roast (heck, with that much meat, I'll just cut it in half and make two).

Also, any cooking tips. I'd like to do it on the grill or maybe slow cook it in a crock pot so it becomes very tender for tritip sandwiches. On the grill, (it's been a while since I've done a tritip) I believe I used to always turn the grill way up, sear the meat on all sides, then wrap it in foil and place it under medium indirect heat on the upper rack of the grill. (I probably need to get an instant read thermometer to make sure I cook it to proper medium rare doneness) Is this proper? THoughts on other techniques that would work.

3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves

2 garlic cloves, peeled

1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt or coarse sea salt

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 well-trimmed 2 1/2- to 2 3/4-pound tri-tip beef roast

3 cups oak, mesquite, or hickory wood chips, soaked in water 1 hour and drained

Blend thyme leaves, garlic cloves, dried oregano, and coarse salt in mini processor until garlic is finely chopped. With processor running, gradually add lemon juice, then olive oil. Season herb sauce to taste with pepper and transfer to bowl. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.

Sprinkle roast generously on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.

If using gas grill: Wrap wood chips in foil; pierce foil all over with fork. Remove top grill rack, place foil packet directly on burner, and replace grill rack. Place roast over packet and grill uncovered 6 minutes (wood in foil will begin to smoke). Turn roast over. Move to spot on grill where heat is indirect and medium-hot. Cover grill and cook until thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast registers 128°F to 135°F for medium-rare, turning roast occasionally, about 13 minutes

If using charcoal grill: Sprinkle wood chips over coals and place roast on rack. Cook roast uncovered 7 minutes. Turn roast over. Move roast to spot on grill where heat is indirect and medium-hot. Cover grill and cook until thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast registers 128°F to 135°F for medium-rare, turning roast occasionally, about 13 minutes.

Transfer roast to platter. Let stand 10 minutes. Thinly slice roast across grain. Serve, passing sauce separately.