[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to move Brandon Marshall further down your list...

Crazysight

This was the story regarding Marshall at 3 PM today:

After sitting out June practices, Brandon Marshall returned to minicamp work Monday.

Impact: The Broncos had previously kept a thigh injury to Marshall under wraps. The second-year pro was running with the first team and should stay there barring a miraculous camp surge by Rod Smith. Jay Cutler said Marshall looked a little out of shape, so keep an eye on him.

And this was the story at 5:

Brandon Marshall injured his quadriceps muscle during individual work Tuesday and did not return.Impact: Marshall also sat out practice in June and reportedly wasn't in great shape. Marshall has the talent to make a serious jump in production as a starter, but his summer indicates he still has maturing to do. He says he'll be ready for camp.

Move him down because he's out of shape, overrated and has never shown to be a pro-calliber player to begin with, on top of the nagging injury.

Rod Smith, on the other hand, is an all-pro...this kid has never shown anything that would suggest that he's close to the professional level of a Rod Smith..

He reaks of unrealized potential to me...any player who shows up to camp out of shape fits that bill. These types come through the pros all the time. I don't think I'd want either him or Smith for this upcoming season, but if I had to choose I'd take the legitimate pro.

Edited by Crazysight

He looked good in the 2nd half of last year, and considering that Rod Smith won't play until the final preseason game at the earliest, he should be considered for taking a flyer on. I don't think anyone expects the #2 WR on a run-first offence to be starting for you, but he could put up some decent numbers as a bye-week fill-in.

He reaks of unrealized potential to me...any player who shows up to camp out of shape fits that bill. These types come through the pros all the time. I don't think I'd want either him or Smith for this upcoming season, but if I had to choose I'd take the legitimate pro.

Cutler's quote from HERE:

On WR Brandon Marshall

"I think he looked good, maybe looked a little bit out of shape. I think maybe he got winded a little bit in the second half, but I'm not worried about Brandon. Brandon's going to be good, he's going to be healthy and once he gets back full strength and full go he's going to be good for us."

The kid is in only his second year and had to sit out all of the June practices due to a tweaked quad. Of course he's out of shape because he probably couldn't do any running for a month. How does this amount to "unrealized potential"?

Not sure how reliable he is but one of the beat writers for the Broncos, Andrew Mason, was reporting in early June that Marshall was sitting out due to a groin injury... an entry from June 1st LINK

Other injuries have dotted the Broncos throughout OTAs, particularly at wide receiver, where an already slim receiving corps that was without Brandon Stokley and Rod Smith lost Glenn Martinez on the first day of OTAs and Brandon Marshall earlier this week with hamstring and groin injuries, respectively.

Head Coach Mike Shanahan said Marshall’s injury is “not very serious.”

Sounds to me, especially with the varying stories, it's not anything to be concerned about at this point. Especially since Marshall has returned to practice.

Edited by kingfish247

Cutler's quote from HERE:

On WR Brandon Marshall

"I think he looked good, maybe looked a little bit out of shape. I think maybe he got winded a little bit in the second half, but I'm not worried about Brandon. Brandon's going to be good, he's going to be healthy and once he gets back full strength and full go he's going to be good for us."

The kid is in only his second year and had to sit out all of the June practices due to a tweaked quad. Of course he's out of shape because he probably couldn't do any running for a month. How does this amount to "unrealized potential"?

Yeah because we all know how often QBs bad-mouth their WRs. Uh....never.

He tweaked his quad yesterday. Do your cardio and eat right. You are a professional athlete who is paid to be in shape, not some weekend warrior who only has time to workout a few times a week. And for a WR to be "out-of-shape" is inexcusable IMO. We're not talking about some lineman who had knee surgery here. WRs are supposed to be the best conditioned players on the field. Don't you ever wonder why the really good players don't miss a beat after "injuries", but these types of guys are always full of excuses to why they aren't in shape? The great ones do it...

Yeah because we all know how often QBs bad-mouth their WRs. Uh....never.

He tweaked his quad yesterday. Do your cardio and eat right.

:D

I don't supposed it ever occured to you that he was out of shape because he was recovering from the quad injury in the first place, which he reinjured just recently?

I don't supposed it ever occured to you that he was out of shape because he was recovering from the quad injury in the first place, which he reinjured just recently?

Ewwwwww. A quad injury. I wasn't aware that made you sedentary and placed on bed rest. There are ways to stay in shape while injured--especially with something as dreadful as a quad. He's a slacker, plain and simple...

Ewwwwww. A quad injury. I wasn't aware that made you sedentary and placed on bed rest. There are ways to stay in shape while injured--especially with something as dreadful as a quad. He's a slacker, plain and simple...

:D:D

You're right, I mean with all this weight he's put on then they'll probably just move him to FB, DT, or cut him... LINK

… Brandon Marshall injured his quadriceps muscle during individual work in Tuesday’s session and did not return, but he did not believe the injury to be serious and he remained with his teammates on the sidelines for the rest of the practice …

Meanwhile I'm sure Rod Smith was out drinking from his electric juicer and performing Jack Lalane feats of strength to rehab his hip.

Edited by kingfish247

Ewwwwww. A quad injury. I wasn't aware that made you sedentary and placed on bed rest.

Of course! Why would any rational person expect an injury to the major muscle group on the anterior portion of a person's thigh hamper their ability to run & jog? The guy is clearly a lazy puzzly!

You're a genius, RWC! I think you ought to take a position as a trainer immediately! I'm sure that NFL teams will overpay you by grossly excessive amounts in bidding contests for a person with your genius for the human anatomy and how to properly physically condition it to the utmost.

Injuries like those, when they occur in the offseason, usually do from a person being out-of-shape in the first place.

And of course, there are plenty of ways to stay in shape despite having a quad injury. Or haven't you heard of Ahman Green? What about all these guys who have rehabbed from ACL injuries and made it back within a years time? I don't remember there being any problems with Carson Palmer being out of shape when coming to camp last year, despite having a blown knee that had just been recently repaired.

Brandon Marshall is a good sized kid with potential if he gets his head screwed on straight for the pros. He isn't particularly fast however (his 40 is listed at 4.55), so regardless of whether one wants to argue whether his being out of shape is due to unprofessionalism or not (I don't think I've ever heard of a truly great athlete being reported as out of shape "due to an injury"), it is not good for him to be starting this way in June/July. The season is less than 2 months away now and he is going to need everything he's got if he's going to stand out on the pro level. Doesn't sound as though he's been giving this.

Edited by Crazysight

Of course! Why would any rational person expect an injury to the major muscle group on the anterior portion of a person's thigh hamper their ability to run & jog? The guy is clearly a lazy puzzly!

You're a genius, RWC! I think you ought to take a position as a trainer immediately! I'm sure that NFL teams will overpay you by grossly excessive amounts in bidding contests for a person with your genius for the human anatomy and how to properly physically condition it to the utmost.

LOL little did you know you were conversing with an aspiring Doctor of Physical Therapy with an Athletic Training degree.

And it's just my opinion, having seen many muscle "strains", treated them, and experienced them myself. Take from it what you will...

LOL little did you know you were conversing with an aspiring Doctor of Physical Therapy with an Athletic Training degree.

Then you of all people ought to know that if you haven't examined the injury yourself that you shouldn't be jumping to rash conclusions.

BTW - Marshall was on the field at full speed yesterday.

Then you of all people ought to know that if you haven't examined the injury yourself that you shouldn't be jumping to rash conclusions.

BTW - Marshall was on the field at full speed yesterday.

Well, I guess it's time to raise him back up the rankings, eh? :D

Exactly my point. No "strain" is that serious that you can't participate...

It's July people. If you've got an injury, that happens to be a reoccurance (is that a word :D ) of a past injury, now is the time to rest it and not risk it getting worse. Could he have practiced with it yesterday? Probably. But why risk making it worse in July?

If he had practiced and re-injured himself more seriously, many of these same people would be getting on the Denver coaching/training staff for letting him practice with an injury.

It's July. Unless someone blows a knee out right now, you can't take much stock in a missed practice here and there.