[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baking Baby Back Ribs

skylive5

As a fair portion of people at the Huddle know... I don't care much for ribs. However, the people next door do, so every once in awhile we have them.

It is supposed to be hot on Sunday and I really don't want the next door people to drag out their grill.... so I plan on baking the Pork Baby Back Ribs I bought.

Now....my question..... can I just throw some salt and pepper on the ribs and throw them in the oven at 325 and give it a couple hours and then put some BBQ sauce on them for the last 15 minutes and call it good? (Some of the ribs will be without sauce... I really dislike sauce.)

I am not into 4 days of prep work and all kinds of go-for-it rubs and sauces.... just want to cook up some ribs.

Any info out there for something simple if my idea isn't good enough?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky -

I've used the oven the last two or three times. I used two roaster pans. Put water in the bottom of each. Place rack (s) in roaster pan, cover with foil and set oven to 250. After three hours or so, add your barbeque sauce and put back in the oven for half an hour or so uncovered (although I actually did put them on the grill for this part but it shouldn't be much different). The water keeps them moist.

Enjoy.

Sky -

I've used the oven the last two or three times. I used two roaster pans. Put water in the bottom of each. Place rack (s) in roaster pan, cover with foil and set oven to 250. After three hours or so, add your barbeque sauce and put back in the oven for half an hour or so uncovered (although I actually did put them on the grill for this part but it shouldn't be much different). The water keeps them moist.

Enjoy.

250 huh? You don't worry about bacteria living through such a low temp? Never thought about the water.... but that does sound right. :D

Roger that.... will do all that. Thank you.

250 huh? You don't worry about bacteria living through such a low temp? Never thought about the water.... but that does sound right. :D

Roger that.... will do all that. Thank you.

cooked for 4-4.5 hours the bacteria will be kaput :D

If you don's want to make a complicated rub, that's fine...but you can use something on the order of Mrs Dash along with the S&P. If you want to rub the rubs with something on Saturday, send me a PM and I will try and help :tup:

i would agree with going for some type of rub. i know you don't like sauce, but it'll give you more flavor than salt and pepper alone. 250 for about 3 hours, i then turn it up to about 375 until done. brush on some bbq sauce the final 10-15 min just to glaze.

cooked for 4-4.5 hours the bacteria will be kaput :D

thats what its at in the smoker

Interesting... I usually cook everything between 450-500... :D

Actually thought 325-350 was where it should be.... but since I am not eating them anyway I will do what y'all recommend. :tup:

4 hours though....sheesh... good thing I get up early.

Fine.... you guys wanna ignore my caveat about not wanting a lot of prep time.... fine. *sigh*

Okay... gimmie some suggestions on rubs please. And try and keep it simple... no mango's or exotic herbs that are only available once every 10 years or so. :D

Sky,

Check out this thread: http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=134286

(fwiw, Bier's "boil then bake" method results in wonderful ribs)

Geeze. More prep. LOL

Screw it.... Dr.Bob is the BBQ/Ribs expert... I'll just do what I always do... give them to him and let him do it. He actually does a pretty good job so there is no problem there... I was just trying to save him the time and the pulling out of the grill....but guess there is no easy way to do ribs.

Me...throw them in the oven... throw them on a plate... eat them. But then that's just me.

Was an interesting thread though... thanks wiegie.... knew there would probably be one with all kinds of complicted stuff in it. :D

If you like spicy BBQ:

half a bottle of chili powder

1 TBS cayenne pepper

3 TBS Lawry's salt free 17

1 TBS salt

1 TBS black pepper

1-2 TBS lemon juice

mix up the spices, add the lemon juice, and stir until it is all moist. The lemon juice makes it a wet rub that clumps up nicely and will rub in well.

Brush the ribs down very lightly with mustard. Whatever kind you like. I prefer to use Bone Suckin' mustard, but whatever. then rub the spices in on top of the mustard, wrap each rack in plastic wrap, and let it sit overnight.

Honestly, it takes maybe 10-15 minutes to do 4 racks. This is not major prep time.

If you don't like spicy BBQ, then sprinkle the ribs down with salt and pepper, and then Lawry's salt free 17 on top of that. Wrap the riibs up and let them sit over night.

Sky... if you end up making these, don't forget to peel of the membrane on the bone side of the ribs! IT only takes a minute and your ribs will not be "chewy"

?

I will look for said membrane....but I don't recall ever "removing" anything from any ribs I have prepared. You would think someone would have said something..... LOL

Thanks ... I will do that. (If I can find it.) :D

sky--if you are going to use a spicy bbq sauce, i would recommend mixing a little bit of honey in with the sauce. Just enough to where when you dip your finger in the sauce you can barely taste the honey.

When you put these on the ribs the last 30 minutes, it gives the ribs a nice honey-bbq glaze on them. Very tasty.

sky, I've used this recipe from alton brown prior to my owning an Egg. It came out very nice with much compliments.

Who Loves Ya Baby-Back? Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Show: Good Eats

Episode: A Rib For All Seasons

2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs

Dry Rub:

8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed

3 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning

1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:

1 cup white wine

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon honey

2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

edit: as I read this, I realized it's not clear how these ribs are braised. they are placed onto the aluminum foil and then fold the foil all around the ribs, creating a foil packet with the ribs inside. You leave one end of this packet open, pour in the braising liquid, and the seal it up. Leave the ribs on a baking sheet, in the foil, in case you spring a leak.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.

Edited by untateve

Any info out there for something simple if my idea isn't good enough?

Since moving to the NW 6 years ago I have slowly realized that converting my local friends into 18 hour bbq efficianados (sp?) is never gonna happen.

Thus, I will try to give my best advice to a fellow Hero.

Leave the membrane, waste of time to remove.

Take 5 mins and throw a handful of Brown Sugar, enough paprika to make it red, a few shots of cumin / onion power / garlic powder and any other strong season (forget the parsley) that is in your way while you look for the cumin and after mixing throw it on your ribs. if you wanna impress/intrigue your rib neighbor throw in a shake or two of cinnamon.

Stick them in the oven at about 450 for 20-30 mins. you want some bubblin/smokin/charrin going on. not covered.

meanwhile drink a beer and half. at the end of 15 mins reduce temp to 225 poor the remaining 1/2 beer in the bottom of the pan and cover them with foil.

come back 4-6 hours later and eat. I would guess I could have the prep done in about 10 mins.

And i'm with ya, sauce is to hide the flavor of good bbq. then again, as you are'nt smokin, sauce may be required.

Let me know how they turn out. i've never actually done it. just the same advice I give my other NW buddies; who say they turn out awesome.

Sky, go to the local grocery store and buy a bottle of "Stubbs Rub". Rub with love at least two hours before, cook slow and low and enjoy. Prep time: five to ten minutes(depending on any if at all trimming). Cook time three to four hours. Devour time: five to ten minutes and lots of lip smackin'

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Forget all of the above mumbo jumbo

You boil the ribs for 30 min in APPLE JUICE-- Im telling ya-- thats the key-- the AJ will give the ribs the sweetest flavor ever known to man.. After that- you can do with them as you wish- bake-BBQ-broil-- But ya MUST boil thme for 30 min b4 hand in AJ

Forget all of the above mumbo jumbo

You boil the ribs for 30 min in APPLE JUICE-- Im telling ya-- thats the key-- the AJ will give the ribs the sweetest flavor ever known to man.. After that- you can do with them as you wish- bake-BBQ-broil-- But ya MUST boil thme for 30 min b4 hand in AJ

I would sooner boil my member than boil baby back ribs I bought from the butcher. But that's me.

honestly- I would not steer my fellow FF members the wrong way-- just boil them and thank me later

I don't believe you're steering anyone wrong--boiling is just something I'm against in the cooking of ribs. I tend to do the low and slow smoking of my ribs and the fat in the ribs melts and adds flavor. This may also be psychological, but it just seems like boiling ribs is boiling out the flavor.