[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baking Baby Back Ribs

skylive5

I don't believe you're steering anyone wrong--boiling is just something I'm against in the cooking of ribs. I tend to do the low and slow smoking of my ribs and the fat in the ribs melts and adds flavor. This may also be psychological, but it just seems like boiling ribs is boiling out the flavor.

the AJ boils some of the fat off- the ribs have pleanty of flavor- especially if you get a good rack-- the AJ "boils" in the sweet flavor-- throw some sauce on with honey- your golden-

My friends and I had a rib contest over the July 4th weekend-- guess who won? :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the AJ boils some of the fat off- the ribs have pleanty of flavor- especially if you get a good rack-- the AJ "boils" in the sweet flavor-- throw some sauce on with honey- your golden-

My friends and I had a rib contest over the July 4th weekend-- guess who won? :D

I'm betting none of your friends owns an Egg.

I'm not a big boiling guy either. I don't want to boil off the fat, seeing as how the fat adds moisture and flavor as the ribs are cooking.

For me, part of the experience of cooking ribs is the psychology of cooking with fire and trying to control the heat and smoke. Boiling just takes the fun out IMO.

But not everyone has access or time to smoke meat. If you are going to cook them inside, at least use the oven and put the ribs in foil. Make sure you put them in bone side up. And this would apply when you use a smoker and put the ribs in foil during the 3rd or 4th hour. That way the ribs "cook" in their own juices. Much more tender and flavorful.

I'm not a big boiling guy either. I don't want to boil off the fat, seeing as how the fat adds moisture and flavor as the ribs are cooking.

For me, part of the experience of cooking ribs is the psychology of cooking with fire and trying to control the heat and smoke. Boiling just takes the fun out IMO.

But not everyone has access or time to smoke meat. If you are going to cook them inside, at least use the oven and put the ribs in foil. Make sure you put them in bone side up. And this would apply when you use a smoker and put the ribs in foil during the 3rd or 4th hour. That way the ribs "cook" in their own juices. Much more tender and flavorful.

Ok- you guys just want to keep on fighting me-- The ribs will have pleanty of flavor- they will have pleanty of fat on them, even after boiling them...Just try it one day and thank me later-- jeez!!!!! :D If it comes out bad- let me know and Ill send you a gift certificate to Tony Romas

Ok- you guys just want to keep on fighting me-- The ribs will have pleanty of flavor- they will have pleanty of fat on them, even after boiling them...Just try it one day and thank me later-- jeez!!!!! :D If it comes out bad- let me know and Ill send you a gift certificate to Tony Romas

wow...it seems like we are destined to be on opposite sides of the rib world. I don't eat at Tony Roma's because I honestly believe that my ribs taste much better than what I can get there.

I like to boil my ribs when I cook them. I do this because it is a convenient way to cook ribs and I like to imagine that it is Untateve's soul simmering in the pot.

:D Alton Brown has a recipe for that, too... use tamarind and lime juice to soften it.

He only cries because he is Jewish and as such is prohibited from eating my delicious pork ribs.

it is not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him, but what comes out. i think jesus came up with that one just so he could eat him some ribs glazed with unta's big green satanic soul.

Thank each and everyone of you for your input.... some interesting takes on ribs and the taking care of same. LOL

Here is what I did:

Went to the commissary and bought a jar of Grill Mates Pork Rub. (Dry)

On two racks I used salt, pepper, the rub and wrapped in alum foil.

On two racks I used salt, pepper and wrapped in alum foil.

Immediately placed in oven at preheated 250 for 3 1/2 hours. Uncovered and sloshed on Jack Daniels Original #7 BBQ sauce.... lightly. Cooked for another 1/2 hour.

Pulled out of oven...placed on platters... served. Sides included cole slaw, homemade baked beans, potato salad, chunks of french bread using cold real butter as the spread, roast chicken legs, and homemade apple pie with store bought high end vanilla ice cream for desert.

The BBQ snobs next door left no rib uneaten and wanted more. The meat fell off the bones so I guess I cooked it long enough. LOL

Not counting the going to the commissary, fixing my drink, and tearing off the alum foil....the total prep time was about 28 micro seconds. :D

Again...thanks everyone.

Since moving to the NW 6 years ago I have slowly realized that converting my local friends into 18 hour bbq efficianados (sp?) is never gonna happen.

In 18 hours it will rain several times.... who wants to BBQ in the rain? LOL

Thanks KoK... did you see our draft spot? Gonna be interesting this year.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thank each and everyone of you for your input.... some interesting takes on ribs and the taking care of same. LOL

Here is what I did:

Immediately placed in oven at preheated 250 for 3 1/2 hours. Uncovered and sloshed on Jack Daniels Original #7 BBQ sauce.... lightly. Cooked for another 1/2 hour.

Pulled out of oven...placed on platters... served.

On vaca so I don't have my smoker. Will be trying this tonight..

Here is what I did:

Pulled out of oven...placed on platters... served. Sides included cole slaw, homemade baked beans, potato salad, chunks of french bread using cold real butter as the spread, roast chicken legs, and homemade apple pie with store bought high end vanilla ice cream for desert.

The BBQ snobs next door left no rib uneaten and wanted more. The meat fell off the bones so I guess I cooked it long enough. LOL

Not counting the going to the commissary, fixing my drink, and tearing off the alum foil....the total prep time was about 28 micro seconds. :wacko:

Again...thanks everyone.

followed this to a T. Even found the same rub. Not as good as my smoked ones but not bad. Not bad at all. Thanks Sky.