[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Freeney signs $72 million deal with Colts

Hat Trick

Yeah, they may have overpaid, but it's not like they're spending a ton on the rest of their defensive players. Corey Simon's cap number will probably be off the books next season anyway, and the signing of Tony Ugoh tells me that Tarik Glenn's time in Indy is limited as well. And they're presumably going to be getting an increase in revenue when they move into the new stadium next Fall.

Edited by Bill Swerski

This only means that Julius Peppers will soon be the highest paid defensive player ever.

Merriman and Talyor will greatly benefit from this as well I'd imagine.

Two things in the NFL you cannot overpay on. Elite quarterbacks, and elite pass rushers. The Colts have one of each.

60 million in gaurantees is alot of money. We'll see how it shakes out in the next couple years. It makes the Vikings look smart. They signed McKinnie, Kevin Williams and EJ Henderson to extensions during the season last year. Total gaurantees for those three are 36 million with Williams only getting 13 million. Had they waited, the gaurantee money would have been around 50.

$60 million is not guaranteed. $30 million is.

And by the way, Freeney is better than all the guys you mentioned the Vikings signing. Freeney will only count $5.75 million against the cap in 2007 and 2008. It's a great deal. The guy has 56.5 sacks in five years and 27 FORCED FUMBLES. Last year, when he had a "bad" year, he still had 33 quarterback pressures. You have to pay for that kind of production, and the Colts are willing to do it.

$60 million is not guaranteed. $30 million is.

And by the way, Freeney is better than all the guys you mentioned the Vikings signing. Freeney will only count $5.75 million against the cap in 2007 and 2008. It's a great deal. The guy has 56.5 sacks in five years and 27 FORCED FUMBLES. Last year, when he had a "bad" year, he still had 33 quarterback pressures. You have to pay for that kind of production, and the Colts are willing to do it.

How much gauranteed money does Peyton have? I was referring to the elite quarterback and elite pash rushers quote. I wasn't saying the Vikings players were better than Frenney. They were smart to sign them prior to the end of the seson.

How much gauranteed money does Peyton have? I was referring to the elite quarterback and elite pash rushers quote. I wasn't saying the Vikings players were better than Frenney. They were smart to sign them prior to the end of the seson.

The Colts have always alllowed players to fulfill their contracts before re-signing them. They ddi it with Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, Tarik Glenn. That's just how they operate. And they are still well under the cap. They re-sign their own guys, and usually don't participate in free agency. Both Peyton and Freeney's contracts are well worth what they do on the field.

Freeney had a whopping 3.5 sacks last year, and the majority of that in 1 game......and oh btw he sucks vs the run. Sorry I don't see that as meriting one of the richest contracts ever. Now maybe he had an off year sack-wise, but even so I seriously question him meriting THAT much money.

Freeney had a whopping 3.5 sacks last year, and the majority of that in 1 game......and oh btw he sucks vs the run. Sorry I don't see that as meriting one of the richest contracts ever. Now maybe he had an off year sack-wise, but even so I seriously question him meriting THAT much money.

he had 6 sacks last year.

he had 33 QB pressures.

he had some nagging injuries.

you don't let your best defensive player walk away because he had a career low in sacks. you gotta look at how he has produced in your system over time. and he has been VERY productive. right defensive ends are never that good against the run anyways. . .

he had 6 sacks last year.

he had 33 QB pressures.

he had some nagging injuries.

you don't let your best defensive player walk away because he had a career low in sacks. you gotta look at how he has produced in your system over time. and he has been VERY productive. right defensive ends are never that good against the run anyways. . .

Actually he had 5.5 sacks, but my bad - what I forgot/meant was he got 3 of those in one game. Hopefully that was just a bad year for him but you have to wonder. As for "QB pressures", those always seemed to me to be a kind of dicey stat. As "DEs are never good vs the run" that's weak. I realize it's not his primary concern, but to have any DL who sucks vs the run is, at least in that respect, a liability. To pay such a person a salary in the stratosphere is questionable.

PS I'm not suggesting they let him walk away. I'm suggesting - actually I'm saying - they overpaid. Who knows, maybe it'll work out because he's cheaper in the short-term and they can renegotiate/let him loose a year or 2 down the road. Maybe.

Edited by BeeR

Lets put it this way, Freeney is great on that surface, and should get paid. But he wont get 72 million. Contracts today are ignorant, as teams can cut or renegotiate anytime they wish. So the only guaranteed money he will get is the signing bonus, and probably the first 3 yrs of that contract then he will be renegotiate, or be cut, depending on his production at that time.