[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An Excel spreadsheet for stat lovers

Dirty Weasel

The links below will take you to my off-season work. The first is an Excel spreadsheet. Tab 1 is every carry since 1978, by every position. Tab 2 is every catch by RB's only. Tab 3 is every rushing TD by every position. Tab 4 is how many 200+ touch RB's there were in each year since 1978, along with all the 400+ touch RB's (by number, name, and year). Playoff game stats are not included in this. Also, the second link is a Powerpoint file, showing a timeline chart of how the RB carries, catches, and TD's have been distributed since 1978 (I only charted RB1 thru RB5). Use the files for whatever they are worth to you. Also, if you spot a trend, feel free to share.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qgr2e4

http://www.sendspace.com/file/thdyah

The links below will take you to my off-season work. The first is an Excel spreadsheet. Tab 1 is every carry since 1978, by every position. Tab 2 is every catch by RB's only. Tab 3 is every rushing TD by every position. Tab 4 is how many 200+ touch RB's there were in each year since 1978, along with all the 400+ touch RB's (by number, name, and year). Playoff game stats are not included in this. Also, the second link is a Powerpoint file, showing a timeline chart of how the RB carries, catches, and TD's have been distributed since 1978 (I only charted RB1 thru RB5). Use the files for whatever they are worth to you. Also, if you spot a trend, feel free to share.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qgr2e4

http://www.sendspace.com/file/thdyah

Good Info here!! :D:D

It'll be fun to analyze this data more.

You put that together? Holy crap, that must have taken some work to go back to 1978. I don't know what kind of useful data we can extrapolate from '78, but the past 3 years is interesting.

Question - what happens when the primary RB gets replaced? Example - after Portis went down and Betts took over, are all of Betts carries from that time forward considered to be #1 RB carries or #2 RB carries? :D

You put that together? Holy crap, that must have taken some work to go back to 1978. I don't know what kind of useful data we can extrapolate from '78, but the past 3 years is interesting.

Question - what happens when the primary RB gets replaced? Example - after Portis went down and Betts took over, are all of Betts carries from that time forward considered to be #1 RB carries or #2 RB carries? :D

RB1 for any team in any given year is the one with the most carries. For example, in 2006, the Redskins RB's were:

RB1 - Ladell Betts - 245 carries

RB2 - Clinton Portis - 127 carries

RB3 - TJ Duckett - 38 carries

RB4 - Mike Sellers - 12 carries

RB5 - Rock Cartwright - 5 carries

The reason I went back to 1978 was because I was doing a study about RBBC. The reason I started with 1978 was because that's when the NFL went to a 16-game schedule.

If you go back and forth between the carries and catches tabs, you will see that Andra Franklin once led a team in carries (with over 200), but had ZERO catches! If you bounce between carries and TD's, you will see that Marcel Shipp led the Cardinals twice in carries without rushing for a single TD!