[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peter King's Power Rankings

Menudo

Pittsburgh should be at twelve or higher--as much as I love them, they are a total unknown this season. So we have to go on what we know about personnel. I am not a Bruce Arians fan nor am I impressed with the running backs that the Steelers have in place to support FWP. If he goes down, we go to...Kevan Barlow. YIKES. Additionally, I see no big WRs on the roster of any consequence--don't give me Nate Washington either. He's a plugger at absolute best. Heath Miller is dangerous when they use him, and the Spaeth kid can catch (to me he's going to play tackle eligble forever) but there just aren't any BIG targets. Holmes can run, yes...and catch. But big he ain't. Ben should return to his 2004-2005 form--he looks great and the word is he's been sharp at minicamp and practice. On defense, losing Porter hurts, but what really worries me is that we are a year older everywhere. The new kids will be okay, I think, in time. But to expect them to come in and dominate may be asking a bit much. Harrison is a ham-and-egger...not our best solution in the interim. Ditto for Haggans. I see an improved team, but I am not sold they are top fifteen without seeing them take a snap under fire.

Well, you must not have been around here very long. The fact that I have the Steelers out of the top 3 this year, shows that I have reservations as well. My predictions usually have them going to the Super Bowl. :D

Edited by Menudo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you must not have been around here very long. The fact that I have the Steelers out of the top 3 this year, shows that I have reservations as well. My predictions usually have them going to the Super Bowl. :D

I've been here forever. Your optimism keeps me from going postal! :D

first list I've seen that gives the Colts a chance at repeating. :D

Anyone overlooking the Colts is foolish. As long as Peyton Manning is healthy, they will be in the mix every single year.

Anyone overlooking the Colts is foolish. As long as Peyton Manning is healthy, they will be in the mix every single year.

Call me foolish. Reducing your depth at RB to one unproven featured RB with no legitimate depth at RB that has meaningful significant NFL experience is not a good way to ensure a repeat trip to the big game. NE is in the same boat. Even as prolific of a passer as Manning or Brady can't regularly overcome a deficiency of a respectable running game turning the offense 1-dimensional when it comes to matching up in the playoffs.

I think both IND and NE could struggle if their annoited young stud RB either struggles to carry a lot heavier load than they ever have before or they get dinged up and/or injured.

Ya know, Dominic Rhodes was an unproven, undrafted free agent at one time too. Dede Dorsey is in the same boat. I think he's going to get some playing time to keep the load ligter on Addai. And IIRC, you were pretty much calling Addai a "bust" heading into last year, and he lead the rookies in rushing. . . It's pretty obvious to me that the Colts knew that Dom was in the substance abuse program. Perhaps that's why they didn't make more of an effort to re-sign him. plus add in the fact how completely ineffective Rhodes was in the regular season, and the kind of money he got from the Raiders, I don't see how the Colts can be faulted for letting him go.

Edited by CaptainHook

Call me foolish. Reducing your depth at RB to one unproven featured RB with no legitimate depth at RB that has meaningful significant NFL experience is not a good way to ensure a repeat trip to the big game. NE is in the same boat. Even as prolific of a passer as Manning or Brady can't regularly overcome a deficiency of a respectable running game turning the offense 1-dimensional when it comes to matching up in the playoffs.

I think both IND and NE could struggle if their annoited young stud RB either struggles to carry a lot heavier load than they ever have before or they get dinged up and/or injured.

I'm actually not predicting that they make it back to the big game, but, as long as Peyton Manning is healthy, I think he can overcome the other problem areas enough to keep them as in the mix as a legitimate contender.

And IIRC, you were pretty much calling Addai a "bust" heading into last year, and he lead the rookies in rushing. . .

I absolutely was calling Addai's potential for being a bust higher than any of the top 5 rookie RBs other than LenDale White. It would certainly appear that I was wrong about that - he can play at the NFL level.

That doesn't mean he's any more proven as a RB who can carry the bulk of the load all season. And Dorsey hasn't proven anything at the NFL level yet.

That's risky for a team wanting to win back-to-back SBs, whether your homer glasses let you admit it or not.

It is one man's opinion, and I'm sure all it will generate is comments about where I have the Steelers :D , but here is where I'd put them at this point. I'd like to see other's rankings.

30. Detroit Lions

I find your lack of faith in the Lions disturbing.

I absolutely was calling Addai's potential for being a bust higher than any of the top 5 rookie RBs other than LenDale White. It would certainly appear that I was wrong about that - he can play at the NFL level.

That doesn't mean he's any more proven as a RB who can carry the bulk of the load all season. And Dorsey hasn't proven anything at the NFL level yet.

That's risky for a team wanting to win back-to-back SBs, whether your homer glasses let you admit it or not.

my "homer glasses" have nothing to do with it. I think it was more risky letting Jason David and Cato June get away than anything.

Rhodes was terrible last year in the regular season. He was in the NFL substance abuse program. The market offered more than the Colts could afford to pay him. He is suspended the first 4 games of 2007. All of those factors combine to tell me the Colts made the right choice in letting him go.

Corey Dilon is still out there in FA if something happens to Addai. And who knows, maybe Dorsey could step in and have the kind of year Rhodes had in 2001 when Edge went down. Everybody said Rhodes was an "unknown" then as well . . .

Edited by CaptainHook

Egret's Highly Un-scientific and Highly Biased Rankings

1) Baltimore

2) Indy

3) New England

4) Denver

5) New Orleans

6) Carolina

7) Cincinnati

8) Sand Diego

9) NYJ

10) Philly

11) Tennessee

12) Lions

13) San Francisco

14) Chicago

15) Seattle

16) Jacksonville

17) St. Louis

18) Buffalo

19) Green Bay

20) Dallas

21) Pittsburgh

22) Kansas City

23) NYG

24) Arizona

25) Tampa

26) Oakland

27) Houston

28) Minnesota

29) Atlanta

30) Washington

31) Cleveland

32) Miami

Agreed...but if Addai really can handle the load, watch out! If he can't, I guess Manning throws for, what...50 TD's? The running game makes a team so much better...but can the Colts' passing game really be stopped as long as Manning is at the helm?

1) Baltimore

2) Indy

3) New England

4) Denver

5) New Orleans

6) Carolina

7) Cincinnati

8) Sand Diego

9) NYJ

10) Philly

11) Tennessee

12) Lions

13) San Francisco

14) Chicago

15) Seattle

16) Jacksonville

17) St. Louis

18) Buffalo

19) Green Bay

20) Dallas

21) Pittsburgh

22) Kansas City

23) NYG

24) Arizona

25) Tampa

26) Oakland

27) Houston

28) Minnesota

29) Atlanta

30) Washington

31) Cleveland

32) Miami

Baltimore at 1 and Cincinnati at 7? WOW. But hey it's your opinion. But I do love your picking the J-E-T-S JETS, JETS, JETS!!! at #9!! :D

It's pretty obvious to me that the Colts knew that Dom was in the substance abuse program. Perhaps that's why they didn't make more of an effort to re-sign him. plus add in the fact how completely ineffective Rhodes was in the regular season, and the kind of money he got from the Raiders, I don't see how the Colts can be faulted for letting him go.

Not to mention the fact that he gets hurt all of the time and isn't much of a pass-catcher. God bless Dominic for what he did in the playoffs, but your observation about him running like he had cinder blocks on his feet during the regular season was dead-on correct.

As much as I dislike the Pats, I don't see how they can't be ranked #1 right now. I thought they were the best team in the league last year, with their only weaknesses being WR and injuries at safety. Both of those issues have been addressed and they've added Adalius Thomas. With San Diego losing both coordinators and being lead by freaking Norv Turner, injuries are the only thing that will keep the Pats from returning to the AFC Championship game.

Baltimore at 1 and Cincinnati at 7? WOW. But hey it's your opinion. But I do love your picking the J-E-T-S JETS, JETS, JETS!!! at #9!! :D

Baltimore was tied for the second best record last year at 13-3. They only gave up 201 points last year. :D I've got to think another year with McNair and now McGahee will help them. Cincy is a reach. If the defense stays healthy, they can be a force.

I would beg to differ.

You're right. It's possible that they face the Colts in the Divisional round. :doh:

Of course, it might be the only reasons are injuries or the refs cheating... :D

:tup:

I thought that only Seahomos fans whined about cheating refs. :D

You're right. It's possible that they face the Colts in the Divisional round. :D

:D

I think that this year the AFC is going to be a wild race to the SB. NE is currently the media darling, with the acquisition of Moss & Thomas overriding an incredibly thin RB corps and a dramatically aging D that is showing some cracks in its secondary. IND also has issues at RB and I'd put them as a more well rounded and dangerous team than NE, to be honest.

SD is the most talented team overall in the AFC, but losing so many coaches, and then the hiring of Turner on top of that and his well documented history as a HC, as well as a suspect secondary make me wonder if they can pull it all together after the crushing disappointment of the NE playoff loss last season.

I do like what DEN has done in going back to what Shanahan knows best of any coach in the NFL - a smashmouth running game, but they have a lot of new pieces that all have to learn to mesh and function together. BAL has a QB who is rapidly approaching Methusala proportions for age and nothing credible to back him up, but that D just keeps losing pieces and still manages to be downright nasty. JAX has some talent on D, but geez, could they screw up their QB & WR situation any worse during the offseason? TEN is an interesting darkhorse - especially looking at how they played in the 2nd half of last season, as is CIN, whose talent on O is undeniable and if they can field a D that is simply mediocre could play with anyone for a one-game matchup. PIT has tremendous strength in some positions, but undeniable weaknesses in others, and has to transition from someone other than Cowher coaching them, and has to do it while Roethlisberger figures out how to grow up.

I like the Jets, and especially the way the've built their O-line, but it just seems as if there isn't enough there, there to put everything together and manage to compete with the top 4-5 teams in the conference. Still, while they're not sexy, they sure should play some very solid football, and while they don't have a great strength, they also don't seem to have a great weakness either.

It's going to be a very interesting year in the AFC. I'm looking forward to seeing which 6 teams have chairs when the music stops at the end of the season.

Edited by Bronco Billy

:D

I think that this year the AFC is going to be a wild race to the SB. NE is currently the media darling, with the acquisition of Moss & Thomas overriding an incredibly thin RB corps and a dramatically aging D that is showing some cracks in its secondary. IND also has issues at RB and I'd put them as a more well rounded and dangerous team than NE, to be honest.

Agreed about the Pats defense getting old (should be interesting to see if Rodney Harrison can still play a full season), but I think that they're in much better shape than Indy simply because their linebackers can actually tackle. Not being able to stop the run is the kiss of death and the Colts were incredibly lucky that everybody was healthy and playing at a high level going into last year's playoffs.

I think that NE has more RB issues than Indy. I don't foresee Addai going through a 350-carry season unscathed and I'm sure that Dorsey will probably get 5-10 carries a game. But I like their situation better than NE's. Maroney was banged up for a good portion of last season and had shoulder surgery earlier this year - after 51 FEWER carries than Addai last year. Something tells me that we're going to see a lot more of Sammy Morris/Kevin Faulk than Dede Dorsey this year.

Agreed that DEN will be competitive. No more 200-yd games for Reggie Wayne with Dre Bly out there, but they may have run-stopping issues with Wilson gone. I like Cutler... may even draft him as a backup.

The AFC will definitely be worth watching this year.

Edited by Bill Swerski

6) Carolina

9) NYJ

10) Philly

11) Tennessee

12) Lions

13) San Francisco

14) Chicago

15) Seattle

17) St. Louis

18) Buffalo

19) Green Bay

20) Dallas

Love the Cowboys prediction, and the teams in front of them. :D

As for Mr. King, I like his rankings at first glance. What I really agree with is his ramking of the 49ers at #21. Many feel SF will take a leap forward this season, and I just don't get it. They unproven at almost every offensive skill position...with question-mark WRs, an RB who will be fortunate to repeat his rookie production, and a QB who is a work in progress. Could they all excel? Only if everything goes right. But if one cog in their delicate offense fails, I think they crumble. #21 looks about right for them, which is a lot lower than most would think.