[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Vick's career

Crazysight

Michael Vick's career  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is going to be the end result of all of this?

• Vick gets off scott-free and continues on as "the most exciting player in the NFL"
    • Suspension of less than a year
    • Suspended for a year
    • Short prison term ala Ray Lewis, plus possible suspension
    • By the time he gets out, career will be over

Sounds about right. But he definetely holds the right to let it play out which he should if he had nothing to do with it. The suspicion will definetely be there if a plea bargains. The only way to "erase" this and prove his innocence is to let it play out.

Yea that worked for OJ. Totally erased - nobody thinks he killed anyone.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vick will become a social pariah. As Colin Cowherd stated on his show yesterday, this is one that you just can't come back from. No way.

People in this country are fanatical about their pets. I don't think people will let the thought of Vick slamming puppies into the concrete escape their consciousness any time soon. Vick is right now and probably forever just a notch below Rae Caruth in peoples minds.

This can't be fixed. Vick needs to just go away, and the league needs to move on.

Vick will become a social pariah. As Colin Cowherd stated on his show yesterday, this is one that you just can't come back from. No way.

People in this country are fanatical about their pets. I don't think people will let the thought of Vick slamming puppies into the concrete escape their consciousness any time soon. Vick is right now and probably forever just a notch below Rae Caruth in peoples minds.

This can't be fixed. Vick needs to just go away, and the league needs to move on.

No so fast. I believe there will be a large part of the black population that believe this is all made up by the man to keep Vick down. Then there is that portion of the population that eats animals we normally call pets and they likely could care less. Then there are those back wood yokels (hill billys) that don't believe there is anything wrong with dog fighting. Possibly his mama is still on his side too ...

No so fast. I believe there will be a large part of the black population that believe this is all made up by the man to keep Vick down. Then there is that portion of the population that eats animals we normally call pets and they likely could care less. Then there are those back wood yokels (hill billys) that don't believe there is anything wrong with dog fighting. Possibly his mama is still on his side too ...

Of course I defer, there is a certain percentage of sociopaths scattered throughout the society at large, and thos people probably could care less. I'm talking about the lucid majority of course.

He is finished. Vick has played his last game in the NFL. With Tagliabue, it may have been a different story. Goodell doesn't play around.

I agree. Even if his involvement is proven to be "limited", this type of publicity is definitely enough for the Falcons to end their relationship with him. I haven't seen such a rampage of discussion & disgust since the OJ hearings. The Falcons will not be able to move forward with this guy as the face of their franchise. IMO, any prison time = career over. The existing question of his competency as a NFL QB coupled with a bad image won't equate to a second chance for Mr. Vick.

I'll go with "b".

I'm sure he doesn't want to go to trial and have any more damaging evidence made public. Certainly, the NFL and the Falcons don't want him going to trial. He'll cop a plea to a lesser charge, do no prison time, pay a fine, probation, community service, do some charity work for some animal rights group, claim he's a changed man and be done with it. I'll say he gets a four to eight game suspension by the NFL depending on exactly what he admits to.

I don't think so. This is the Feds. They don't go for an indictment unless they are dead sure of themselves, and when they get an indictment they have a 99% conviction rate. They won't cave to any sweetheart deal because they won't feel any pressure to risk losing the case in court.

Vick is going to do time - and I'll guess it's a minimum of 2 years.

He may play in the league again, if he isn't banned for life, but his career for all practical purposes is over.

I don't think so. This is the Feds. They don't go for an indictment unless they are dead sure of themselves, and when they get an indictment they have a 99% conviction rate. They won't cave to any sweetheart deal because they won't feel any pressure to risk losing the case in court.

Vick is going to do time - and I'll guess it's a minimum of 2 years.

He may play in the league again, if he isn't banned for life, but his career for all practical purposes is over.

That 99% number came out of someone's a$$. The DOJ put the conviction rate at 90% (of which 96% pled guilty or no contest) for 2004, the most recent year for which data is available, according to the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics. However, the DOJ has an obvious incentive to inflate that number, as do defense attorneys. Independent studies put the conviction rate in the 65% to 80% range. And, according to those studies, 20%-25% of those convicted serve no jail time but instead face fines, probation, or both.

The odds are against him, but a lot of the "evidence" in that indictment looked like witness testimony from some shady guys who are trying to save their own butts. I don't think it would be too tough for a defense attorney to call their character into question. The physical evidence is damaging, but not impossible to dispute.

I'll stick with my original prediction.

For all I know my brother is selling drugs out of the shed in the backyard. I never go back there.

If it is your property, you have an obligation to do so. What you have just stated is willfiull blindness and makes you guilty of at least civil penalties and property forfeiture.

I suggest you get your "house" in order.

...He may play in the league again, if he isn't banned for life, but his career for all practical purposes is over.

The real poison here for the career is the gambling. This seems to be the only real absolute :D in all US professional sports. Participation alone will possibly blackball him, but a conviction for organized gambling and his career is DONE. :D

The odds are against him, but a lot of the "evidence" in that indictment looked like witness testimony from some shady guys who are trying to save their own butts. I don't think it would be too tough for a defense attorney to call their character into question. The physical evidence is damaging, but not impossible to dispute.

This is the same kind of witness testimony it takes to put drug dealers away. the people/witnesses always have reason to save their own azzes and always do.

When the FBI indicts you, they almost always have you.take it from someone who knows more than just 1 person doing federal time right now.whenever you walk away from a federal charge without a conviction it is because you yourself snitched on bigger fish or you had some very strong connections.

That being said...I would be suprised to see Vick do much more than pay a giant fine with this charge. they did not charge him with conspiracy (which seems like they would have no hard time doing considering he was basically running a illegal gambling operation ).

If it is your property, you have an obligation to do so. What you have just stated is willfiull blindness and makes you guilty of at least civil penalties and property forfeiture.

I suggest you get your "house" in order.

So, if the people renting from my rental property have drugs in the shed...unbenounced to me....it is somehow my responsibility to know this and I can get in trouble under the law? You said you practiced law in another thread...was wondering if it is in Illinois. Cause I am unaware of this....you could very well be right....but I have never heard this before.

So, if the people renting from my rental property have drugs in the shed...unbenounced to me....it is somehow my responsibility to know this and I can get in trouble under the law? You said you practiced law in another thread...was wondering if it is in Illinois. Cause I am unaware of this....you could very well be right....but I have never heard this before.

If someone is renting something from you it is their house not yours when it comes to the contents inside.

... they did not charge him with conspiracy (which seems like they would have no hard time doing considering he was basically running a illegal gambling operation ).

Yes, they did. Conspiracy, and he's toast!

:D The conspiracy allegations, outlined in an 18-page indictment in U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Virginia, accuses the group of crossing state lines to gamble on fights and hosting matches with owners from as far as Texas and New York.

The indictment :D

I have read this indictment. The AUSA does NOT put these things in writing if they can't prove it. HE IS TOAST.

There are FIVE Cooperating Witnesses. BAD!

1 a. at the top of page two is including a gambling charge. BAD BAD!

Forfeiture language (this is above and beyond criminal fines and restitution) included on the last page. BAD BAD BAD!

Buh-buy Mike Vike. It was NOT a pleasure, you scumbag!

Edited by McBoog

Vick claims stupidity, youth and Josh Gordon as his downfall from grace. He is advised to take a year off and reanalyze his life. He visits a animal sanctuary (which coincidently sobers him up by giving him something to do in his spare time) and helps abused animals while revamping his image. He preaches that had he not fell from the graces of God he would never be in a position to help these poor animals and he then dedicates his life to abused puppies. His house is donated to all the Atlanta animals that have been abused as a place of refuge to recovery. A portion of the salary earned in his NFL contract is directed to maintaining the facility and once again he becomes the NFL's most exciting player!

It could happen...really it could! Vick at most will not play this year and then we shall see who picks him up.

Yes, they did. Conspiracy, and he's toast!

:D The conspiracy allegations, outlined in an 18-page indictment in U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Virginia, accuses the group of crossing state lines to gamble on fights and hosting matches with owners from as far as Texas and New York.

The indictment :D

I have read this indictment. The AUSA does NOT put these things in writing if they can't prove it. HE IS TOAST.

There are FIVE Cooperating Witnesses. BAD!

1 a. at the top of page two is including a gambling charge. BAD BAD!

Forfeiture language (this is above and beyond criminal fines and restitution) included on the last page. BAD BAD BAD!

Buh-buy Mike Vike. It was NOT a pleasure, you scumbag!

Yep,you are right. he is getting some kind of time.

Never realized it had been a conspiracy charge. by the time court comes and they round up every witness they can(and I bet more emerge) he will be done for.

Is fighting dogs the only charge? usually when hitting a racket like this drugs,alcohol come along with it.

Yep,you are right. he is getting some kind of time.

Never realized it had been a conspiracy charge. by the time court comes and they round up every witness they can(and I bet more emerge) he will be done for.

Is fighting dogs the only charge? usually when hitting a racket like this drugs,alcohol come along with it.

Read the indicment. Gambling charges (which can lead to RICO/organized crime convictions) are already sited. What few realize is that if Vick does not cooperate and plea now, there is a good chance that "everything else" they may (probably do) have on him can be charged in a "superseding indictment". They can add chrges by going in front of the GJ any time. They can also indict him for totally different charges (no double jeopardy) if they lose this portion of the case.

They won't lose this portion though. At the Fed level, there would be heads rolling all over the place if they lost such a high profile case. Remember, OJ was prosecuted by the County of Los Angeles. This is a whole different ball game with AUSA reputations at stake.

TOAST

Read the indicment. Gambling charges (which can lead to RICO/organized crime convictions) are already sited. What few realize is that if Vick does not cooperate and plea now, there is a good chance that "everything else" they may (probably do) have on him can be charged in a "superseding indictment". They can add chrges by going in front of the GJ any time. They can also indict him for totally different charges (no double jeopardy) if they lose this portion of the case.

They won't lose this portion though. At the Fed level, there would be heads rolling all over the place if they lost such a high profile case. Remember, OJ was prosecuted by the County of Los Angeles. This is a whole different ball game with AUSA reputations at stake.

TOAST

Not only that, but I heard on ESPN last night that the Virginia Federal District Court where Vick's case is going to be heard is known as the 'Rocket Docket" because of the speed in which this Court moves. He could be found guilty by September.