[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alan Faneca

Menudo

Well, it appears that any slim hope of getting Faneca signed beyond this season, is all but lost. With Polamalu's contract expiring after this year, and Roethlisberger's after next year, I was pretty sure that there wasn't any way for the Steelers to keep Faneca as well. The one part that angers me, if Faneca's statement is true, is that the Steelers would make an offer to Faneca that wouldn't even put him in the Top 10 amongst NFL guards. That is a slap in the face, and if I were Faneca, I'd be ticked off too.

The good news is that Faneca will be in camp on time, and says that he will not allow his situation to be a distraction. The Steelers had better begin planning on a replacement for Faneca. The line is at it's most questionable spot in recent history as it it, taking the annual Pro Bowler out of it, makes it much, much worse and a cause for great concern.

Here is the article:

:D

Alan Faneca plans to report with his teammates for the start of training camp on time Monday, but it will be his final summer at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

"I'll be there. I don't think I'll have bells on but I'll be there," Faneca said yesterday from his home in Louisiana.

Faneca, a captain and the most decorated guard in team history with six Pro Bowls, will enter the final year of his contract with the Steelers. He said he will play for another team in 2008 because no talks have taken place for an extension. Faneca will become an unrestricted free agent in March. He skipped all of the team's spring drills except for the required minicamp.

More Coverage:

Woodley agrees to deal

Although still upset about his contract situation, Faneca promised he would not be a distraction to the team this year and will perform as he has in his previous nine seasons with the team.

"I'm going to go about my business and play football. Any distraction would be through the media and how they perceive me going about my business of playing football.

"It's about playing with the guys next to you and playing for a job as well. It's a true sense of playing for a job. It just happens to be somewhere else the following year."

Faneca, 30, said the Steelers offered him a contract early this year but said it was so low it would not have put him among the top 10 guards in the league and called it merely a tool so club management could claim it offered him an extension. He will play for a salary of $3,375,000 this season in addition to a $1 million roster bonus he received in March.

Faneca ripped management on May 11 when he reported for the required minicamp. He said the Steelers treated him unfairly and he had asked for a trade.

"I'm still emotional about it," Faneca said yesterday. "I might not show it as much. I think the one big thing that got misconstrued or misunderstood was that I was making some sort of promise or threat not coming back. I was just stating a fact and putting it out in the open. Maybe I didn't make it a good enough point. It was not a promise or a threat or negotiating tactic."

Faneca said his situation could motivate him even more as people try to evaluate his play based on his unhappiness over his contract and the fact he turned 30.

"I think it's definitely motivation when everyone's talking about your age, your play. People are analyzing you and the situation, that motivates you."

Faneca said while he won't be a distraction, he will answer questions from the media about his situation, at least early on.

"Hopefully, at some point they stop, but they probably won't," Faneca said. 'I'm just going to go about my business. When it reaches the point I'm tired of talking about it, I'll stop talking about it, stop rehashing the old."

It will be interesting to see where he ends up after this year.

Maybe a reunion with Grimm in AZ?

If AZ has the money, that would make a lot of sense. Faneca was one of the guys who was outspoken about wanting Whisenhunt or Grimm to get the job.

I would get used to more of this. :D

Those two Ravens games last year were two of the most annoying and frustrating games I have watched over the years. :D I don't want to see it repeated this year !!!!!

Those two Ravens games last year were two of the most annoying and frustrating games I have watched over the years. :D I don't want to see it repeated this year !!!!!

The Steelers should have installed turnstiles at the line of scrimmage - they may have held up better to the onslaught of rushers.

The Steelers should have installed turnstiles at the line of scrimmage - they may have held up better to the onslaught of rushers.

Did anyone ever tell you how good you are at taking a compliment. :D Despite last year's abnormality, the Steelers still own the Ravens and the division historically.

Since the Ravens entrance to the NFL:

Most Superbowl Wins - Tied

Most Superbowl Appearances - Tied

Most AFC Championships - Tied

Most AFC Championship Appearances - Steelers

Most Division Titles - Steelers

Head to Head - Steelers

other than manudo, what kind of homo would want to see him "with bells on" in the first place? :D

What is with the constant, unsolicited attacks lately. My feeling are eternally hurt.

As someone who ended up getting FWP on waivers in a dynasty league a couple years ago, I hope they can fill this position with a decent player next year.

Yes, the offensive line situation in Pittsburgh could be very scary heading into next year. They have some young, unproven guys that have shown some upside, but, replacing Faneca is going to be a tall order indeed. :D

The Ravens really played superior football against the Steelers last season.I hate to admit it but it is a fact. McNair

"Where'd I drop my bottle cap? You guys see it?"