[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tar\ik Glenn to retire?

CaptainHook

Offensive tackle Tarik Glenn will not be back to help the Indianapolis Colts defend their Super Bowl title, according to several people close to the 10-year veteran, choosing instead to retire.

None of Glenn's teammates would confirm the decision publicly, and repeated attempts to reach Glenn were unsuccessful.

When asked to comment on his client's decision, agent Ralph Cindrich said any response would have to come from Glenn.

Colts coach Tony Dungy said earlier this week he recently talked with Glenn but would not divulge the nature of the discussions. "Probably the best person to speak to on that is him,' ' Dungy said.

Barring a change of heart by Glenn, 31, the Colts will report to training camp July 29 without their second-longest tenured player, and one who has appeared in the past three Pro Bowls. The Colts selected Glenn with the 19th overall pick in the 1997 draft. Only Marvin Harrison, the team's 1996 first-round draft pick, has been around longer.

Glenn, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, has started 154 regular-season games during his career. The past 138 have come at left tackle as quarterback Peyton Manning's backside protector. With Glenn setting the pace, the Colts' offensive line continually has ranked among the NFL's best at limiting sacks.

The Colts' options at replacing him include Charlie Johnson, a sixth-round pick in 2006 who primarily saw action at right tackle as a rookie, and Tony Ugoh, their second-round pick in the April draft. They traded their 2008 first-round pick to get into position to select Ugoh, then indicated he might be Glenn's eventual successor.

link

Saw this on the ESPN News ticker this morning and was hoping to see it followed by "next season", but no such luck. Hopefully it's not true. Good thing that Polian took Ugoh in the second round, although replacing Glenn (arguably on of the Top 5 LTs in the league) will be tough.

Here is what might be going on.

A couple years ago, Glenn really struggled to get his weight down during camp. The team was fining him, and forcing him to miss practices until he made weight.

After a very celebratory off-season, I could see Glenn being overweight again, and not wanting to go through the hassle of making weight, paying fines, etc.

He always seemed like one of those guys who really loved to play, celebrating on the field and such. And he talked in the off-season about how he was going to mentor Ugoh and not treat him like he was treated as a rookie.

I dunno. Burnout just doesn't sound right to me. I can definitely see him reconsidering.

I hope.

Tarik PLEASE RECONSIDER!

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm wondering if he may have spoke with Polian before the draft and if that may have prompted him to take Ugoh. :D

As much as Howard Mudd gets out of average O-linemen, the Colts O would still take a hit this year without Glenn. The only real positive to this would be the extra cap space that it would create. After signing another veteran OT to be Ugoh's backup, the Colts would probably have enough cap room left for another DT. Can't say that I'd want Tank Johnson wearing the horseshoe, but perhaps the soon-to-be-rebuilding Falcons would be interested in dealing Grady Jackson for a draft pick?

Between Ugoh and Charlie Johnson, they'll be fine. But it's worth watching, and it's definitely a loss.

a Rook and a Second year player and they'll be fine? I hope yer right...

Here is the latest:

The Indianapolis Colts won't pressure Tarik Glenn into making an official announcement regarding his retirement, or lobby him to return for an 11th season, president Bill Polian said.

But Polian told the left offensive tackle the situation needs to be resolved before the team reports to training camp in Terre Haute this weekend.

"I can only tell you he's clearly thinking this over,'' Polian said Monday. "I think he's weighing the pros and cons.

"I've told him when he's ready, obviously sometime before Saturday, let us know and we'll talk it through.''

People close to Glenn told The Star that he has decided to retire rather than report to camp with his teammates Sunday. Repeated attempts to contact Glenn have been unsuccessful.

Polian said he talked with Glenn late last week, at which time Glenn told him about the situation.

"I was certainly surprised, but not knocked off my feet,'' Polian said. "As players get older, it gets tougher and tougher to play this game.''

Including the postseason, Glenn, 31, has started 167 games since being selected with the 19th overall pick of the 1997 draft. He has missed six starts, all in 2003 with a knee injury.

While hoping Glenn reconsiders, Polian stressed the Colts will not try to talk him out of retirement if that's his decision.

"Obviously he's been a great player here and we looked forward to having him as long as we could,'' Polian said. "But he's got to do what's right for him. That's what I emphasized to him and that's what (coach) Tony (Dungy) emphasized to him. That's the overriding concern.''

Glenn is scheduled to earn $4.5 million in base salary this season and will be an unrestricted free agent when it ends. If he goes through with his decision to retire, then chooses to return to the NFL at some point, the Colts would hold his rights for one season.

from Indy Star

Why would he not have come to this conclusion much earlier in the off season? To come out with this not absolutely kills a team. Maybe the Colts had an idea this would happen, trading up to take Ugoh, but come on...this comes out less than 2 weeks before training camp??

Here is the latest:

But Polian told the left offensive tackle the situation needs to be resolved before the team reports to training camp in Terre Haute this weekend.

"I can only tell you he's clearly thinking this over,'' Polian said Monday. "I think he's weighing the pros and cons..

from Indy Star

Might Glenn just not want to participate in TC if Glenn's concern is his wear-and-tear? I seem to remember other vets doing something similar.

Might Glenn just not want to participate in TC if Glenn's concern is his wear-and-tear? I seem to remember other vets doing something similar.

I think that is a very good possibility. I would not be surprised to see him miss training camp, and suddenly decide to "un-retire"

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tarik Glenn, a three-time Pro Bowl tackle for the Indianapolis Colts, announced Tuesday he will retire from the NFL.

The 31-year-old Glenn, a first-round draft pick out of California in 1997, started 154 regular-season games during his 10-year career. A steady blocker on the left side of the offensive line, he was a main reason quarterback Peyton Manning was sacked just 15 times last season.

The 6-foot-5, 332-pound Glenn was second to 11-year veteran receiver Marvin Harrison in years of service with the Colts.

He reportedly had hinted to teammates he was considering retirement after the Colts' Super Bowl win over Chicago, and Indianapolis took Tony Ugoh, a three-year starter at Arkansas, in the second round of the NFL draft in April.

Others seen as possible replacements for Glenn include veteran Ryan Diem, in a switch from right tackle, and Charlie Johnson, a rookie last year who started the second half of the Super Bowl after Diem was injured.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

That sucks. Hopefully, Howard Mudd will be able to work his magic once again.

Others seen as possible replacements for Glenn include veteran Ryan Diem, in a switch from right tackle, and Charlie Johnson, a rookie last year who started the second half of the Super Bowl after Diem was injured.

Given that Diem is a mediocre pass-blocker, I doubt it. Methinks that Johnson and Ugoh will compete for the starting LT position.

In 2002 when Tarik missed 6 games, the Colts went 4-2. At that time, rookie Makoa Freitas filled in at LT, and he was a seventh round draft pick The Colts did just fine. When I have some more time, I will post the stats from those games.

In 2002 when Tarik missed 6 games, the Colts went 4-2. At that time, rookie Makoa Freitas filled in at LT, and he was a seventh round draft pick The Colts did just fine. When I have some more time, I will post the stats from those games.

Actually, Glenn missed 6 games in 2003.

IND went 12-4 that year, and was 4-2 without Glenn while going 8-2 with him in the lineup. Their average margin of victory with Glenn in the lineup was 11.5 ppg, and was 6.25 ppg without Glenn in the lineup. During the games that Glenn missed, the cumulative final regular season record of opponents during that 6 game span was 46-50.

Please don't tell me that missing Glenn didn't affect IND at all.

Please don't tell me that missing Glenn didn't affect IND at all.

It will, but I think that you're underestimating Howard Mudd. He's gotten mediocre linemen like Rick DeMulling and Ryan Lilja to play at an elite level. Hell, even 6th-round pick rookie Charlie Johnson was able to step in and punish the Bears' D-line when filling in for an injured Ryan Diem in the SB.

I won't say that Mudd is on the same level as Alex Gibbs, but he's not far behind.

Holy crap, guys.

To think that a player as dominant as Glenn can simply be replaced by plugging in another player is just downright nonsensical.

Yeah, like when Elway retired and everyone though DEN wouldn't miss a beat with Griese at QB, or when Lombardi moved on to WAS & Bengston took over as HC in GB, or when Emmitt Smith moved on to AZ & Hambrick took over at RB in DAL.

You just don't replace players of that caliber by just pasting another name into the depth chart in their place. LT is a crucial cog in the way an O functions with a right handed QB.

I'm not saying that IND's O is going to drop into the middle of the pack without Glenn, but to be so dismissive of his departure is nothing short of amazing to me.