[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tar\ik Glenn to retire?

CaptainHook

Holy crap, guys.

To think that a player as dominant as Glenn can simply be replaced by plugging in another player is just downright nonsensical.

Yeah, like when Elway retired and everyone though DEN wouldn't miss a beat with Griese at QB, or when Lombardi moved on to WAS & Bengston took over as HC in GB, or when Emmitt Smith moved on to AZ & Hambrick took over at RB in DAL.

You just don't replace players of that caliber by just pasting another name into the depth chart in their place. LT is a crucial cog in the way an O functions with a right handed QB.

I'm not saying that IND's O is going to drop into the middle of the pack without Glenn, but to be so dismissive of his departure is nothing short of amazing to me.

I think that you're confusing Glenn with Willie Roaf or Walter Jones. (And speaking of Roaf, the Chiefs O-line didn't exactly crumble when he retired last year.) Glenn is a very good LT, but let's not get carried away. Am I concerned about the Colts losing Glenn? Yes, but not much more than you would be about losing Matt Lepsis.

Mudd has been with the Colts for the past 8 seasons. The Colts have had a ton of turnover on that line, yet they've consistently ranked in the Top 10 each year (often in the Top 5), they've consistently produced 1000-yd rushers, and Peyton has consistently been one of the least-sacked QBs in the NFL. Mudd turned an undrafted Jeff Saturday into a two-time Pro Bowler. And as I mentioned before, the Colts didn't miss a beat when rookie Charlie Johnson had to play in the SB last year.

I think that you're confusing Glenn with Willie Roaf or Walter Jones. (And speaking of Roaf, the Chiefs O-line didn't exactly crumble when he retired last year.) Glenn is a very good LT, but let's not get carried away. Am I concerned about the Colts losing Glenn? Yes, but not much more than you would be about losing Matt Lepsis.

Make no mistake - losing Lepsis last season had a huge effect on the DEN O last year. And IMO Glenn is a better player than Lepsis.

Make no mistake - losing Lepsis last season had a huge effect on the DEN O last year. And IMO Glenn is a better player than Lepsis.

Whether it be Gary Zimmerman, Tony Jones, or Matt Lepsis at LT, the Broncos O-line has pretty much kicked ass over the past decade. I don't think that the Colts' line is on the same level, but their consistently-good production follows the same concept: If you have elite coaching, you don't need HOF-caliber talent to get a high level of performance.

Plus, the Colts were most likely going to let Glenn walk as a FA next year. That prompted Polian to deal next year's first-round pick to take Tony Ugoh in the 2nd in April. Glenn's retirement just pushed up the inevitable I don't foresee the transition to be seamless, but they'll be fine. I'm much more concerned about their linebackers.

Edited by Bill Swerski

On NFL LIve they thought he had a short off season and wondered if he had a month off he may be refreshed enough to want to play again. Did Peyton say he should give it one more year? I thought they said that.

If he does retire he will be 3rd o lineman recently who made a firm decision on retiring. It sounds like they have been considering this for some time before announcing their decision.

You are right. It was 2003. Makoa Freitas, a second year player who was drafted in the sixth round stepped in and played LT in Glenn's absence.

First game was against Carolina, where he faced Julius Peppers, and did not give up a sack. In fact the entire offensive line did not give up a sack.

Edgerrin James also missed this game. Ricky Williams (the other one) started at RB.

The Colts rushed 27 times for 76 yards. Not great numbers. But the RB's sucked, and this was the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl. Their D-line was dominant. Manning was 23/34 for293 yards, 1TD, 1 INT. The Colts lost 23-20 in OT. They had an interception by Chad Bratzke overturned on a complete bullSega! review.

Second game was against the Texans. Edge was back. He rushed 23 times for 104 yards. Rhodes had 2 carries for 14. Manning was 22/30 for 269 yards and 3 TD's. The Colts won 30-21. Manning was not sacked.

Third game was at Miami. Edge rushed 26 times for 89 yards and a TD. Rhodes had 5 carries for 22 yards. Manning was 23/37 for 266 yards 1TD, 1 INT. and was sacked 4 times. The Colts won 23-17.

Fourth game was at Jacksonville. James had 15 carries for 44 yards. Manning was 28/45 for 347 yards 2 TD's, 2 INT's. Colts lost 28-23. Manning was not sacked.

Fifth game was against the Jets. James had 36 carries for 127 yards and 3 TD's. Manning was 27/36 for 401 yards and a TD. Colts won 38-31. Manning was sacked one time.

Sixth game was at Buffalo. James rushed 28 times for 108 yards and 2 TD's. Manning was 26/42 for 229 yards. Colts won 17-14. Manning was sacked one time.

Losing Glenn didn't seem to hurt James or Manning's numbers. There was only ONE game with multiple sacks. The Colts BARELY lost two of the six games Tarik did not play. And this was with a sixth rounder subbing in. And Manning was not sacked in EITHER of the losses.

In Ugoh, they drafted Glenn's replacement this year, probably with the intent of not re-signing Tarik, as he was in the last year of his deal. Ugoh just gets to play a year early.

Edited by CaptainHook