[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs want 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounders for LJ

kingfish247

Link is from Wisconsin State Journal. Rotowire twisted it a bit to sound like the Packers are actively trying to make a play for LJ but from the source article it seems the Packers only expressed interest and likely gave up due to the asking price... WI State Journal LINK.

Rumor is that the Chiefs are offering only $11-14 million in guaranteed money but asking for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft picks??? Seems a bit shifty, if not downright stupidly unfair, on the Chiefs part IMO.

If true, on principle LJ might dig in even more in negotiations.

There's also the remote possibility the Packers will make a play for disgruntled Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, who is threatening to hold out as he enters the final year of his rookie contract. Set to make $1.7 million, Johnson is reportedly looking for an eight-year deal worth between $80 and $90 million, and the Chiefs are willing to listen to trade offers.

One NFL source said the Chiefs' asking price for Johnson, who carried a whopping 416 last season for 1,789 yards and 17 touchdowns, is first-, second- and third-round picks. That source said the Packers, who did some due-dilligence inquiring about Johnson shortly before the draft when he was first on the trading block, talked to the Chiefs again recently but determined the asking price was too high.

Making such a deal would be out of character for general manager Ted Thompson, who believes draft picks are a precious commodity. Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy have maintained throughout the offseason they like their mix of halfbacks - Morency, Jackson, Wynn, Noah Herron and P.J. Pope.

Chances are, Morency and Jackson will wind up sharing the load, much like the Super Bowl XLI-champion Indianapolis Colts divvied up carries between veteran Dominic Rhodes and rookie Joseph Addai last year. Favre likened the situation to the Packers' Super Bowl XXXI title season of 1996, when Edgar Bennett rushed for 899 yards and Dorsey Levens ran for 566.

One NFL source said the Chiefs' asking price for Johnson, who carried a whopping 416 last season for 1,789 yards and 17 touchdowns, is first-, second- and third-round picks

Yeah, I'm sure that someone will offer a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round pick for Johnson.

Just like how they managed to get a 2nd round pick for Trent Green.

How does KC expect anyone to take them seriously when they put forth nonsense like this? It's like a FF owner offering Todd Pinkston for Peyton Manning straight up - "You know, Manning is way overdue for an injury, and Pinkston is going to break out big time this year. How could you possibly think that's an insulting offer?"

asking for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft picks???

What's funny about this is that Edwards ran him into the ground last season, will probably do so again this season, and they still have the nerve to ask for all that! What current RB would bring those picks back in a trade?

NONE.

What current RB would bring those picks back in a trade?

NONE.

:D

What gets me is that all they've offered so far is $14 million guaranteed. Hypothetical... if LJ was a rookie and a team gave up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder just to move up and draft him... $14 million would be a complete joke when it came time to actually sign him.

:D First I heard they were asking for 3 draft picks?

Well I found the article on KansasCity.com that states basically almost word for word what was said above, except it's not up to date. The article was right before the draft. Sorry, but I'm not paying $6.95 to buy it to post it here. You'll have to take my word for it. Big John did I post this? Must not have if none of you have heard this before.

I thought it was quite funny myself at the time, now way you're going to get all those picks and especially from Thompson who appeared to be the only interested suitor. They never planned to trade him thus the reason they had such high demands.

Well I found the article on KansasCity.com that states basically almost word for word what was said above, except it's not up to date. The article was right before the draft. Sorry, but I'm not paying $6.95 to buy it to post it here. You'll have to take my word for it. Big John did I post this? Must not have if none of you have heard this before.

I thought it was quite funny myself at the time, now way you're going to get all those picks and especially from Thompson who appeared to be the only interested suitor. They never planned to trade him thus the reason they had such high demands.

:DYou posted info here But there were no specifics posted before of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd as the Chiefs asking price.

Edited by Big John

:tup:You posted info here But there were no specifics posted before of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd as the Chiefs asking price.

Yeah that's not it :D I probably didn't post it in fear of all the criticism the Chiefs and their fans would have to endure :D

My question is......"Why not pay the boy?" I understand the one year remaining..blah..blah..blah, but 1.7 million in the NFL landscape is like finding a quarter on the sidewalk. I agree and side completely with LJ on this one.

Edited by PantherDave

Why do I feel Lamar Hunt would have already nipped this in the bud?

They always tend to drag out contract negotiations, it's just the way Denny Crum and Carl Peterson are. Gonzo has went through this 2 times now. Honestly I'd rather they run him into the ground again this season, tag him the season after that and then try and get anything they can for him after that, esentially what Indy did with James I believe. Why invest all this money on a guy who may only play 3-4 more years?

I typically don't have much love for players holding out for better contracts, but given what LJ went through last year, his age, and what they're paying him, I'm 100% behind him if he holds out. If he's going to be limping around like Earl Campbell when he's 50, he deserves the tens of millions that he's asking for.