[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arthur Blank to speak at 4 PM EST

DMD

As reported by NFL.com and ESPN

Could be just "we will let the NFL perform their review and stand by their decision" or it could be "sayanora Vick".

The phrase you need to always use with this, according to the media, is "there are a lot of moving parts to this"

Blank is usually pretty definitive in what he does, I would be mildly surprised for him to completely defer to the league on this.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Football has Vick, basketball has fixed games and baseball has Mr. Roids about to ruin the record book.

It has finally become a good time to be the commish for the National Hockey League, eh?

Football has Vick, basketball has fixed games and baseball has Mr. Roids about to ruin the record book.

It has finally become a good time to be the commish for the National Hockey League, eh?

i think stern has got by far the biggest problem on his hands. the vick situation is pretty easy IMO...goodell can mostly be passive, let info come in, see what blank does, see what the feds come up with -- goodell probably won't even have to do anything terribly decicive. selig is just a little buddy chump, who cares where he is when bonds breaks the record anyway? but the point-shaving stuff....whoo boy, that goes right to the integrity of the sport and bolsters one of the deepest criticisms fans have had of the league for years, that one way or another the refereeing is partial and unfair. apparently, they're trying to get donaghy to talk about other refs. stern has got major problems on his hands. although, i have to say, it couldn't happen to a better guy -- i cannot stand david stern.

Actually, I just read this on ESPN.com:

While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

The NFL said Vick would still get his preseason pay and Goodell told the Falcons to withhold any disciplinary action of their own until the league's review was completed

Now, unless the league completed their review overnight, I can't imagine Blank will have anything of substance to say.

i think stern has got by far the biggest problem on his hands. the vick situation is pretty easy IMO...goodell can mostly be passive, let info come in, see what blank does, see what the feds come up with -- goodell probably won't even have to do anything terribly decicive. selig is just a little buddy chump, who cares where he is when bonds breaks the record anyway? but the point-shaving stuff....whoo boy, that goes right to the integrity of the sport and bolsters one of the deepest criticisms fans have had of the league for years, that one way or another the refereeing is partial and unfair. apparently, they're trying to get donaghy to talk about other refs. stern has got major problems on his hands. although, i have to say, it couldn't happen to a better guy -- i cannot stand david stern.

+1 to all of that

Actually, I just read this on ESPN.com:

While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

The NFL said Vick would still get his preseason pay and Goodell told the Falcons to withhold any disciplinary action of their own until the league's review was completed

Now, unless the league completed their review overnight, I can't imagine Blank will have anything of substance to say.

Yeah, I read that too. But it wouldn't necessarily be "disciplinary action" if they cut him outright. "Disciplinary action" would be suspension. If they choose to cut him, they're washing their hands of the whole situation.

One would think...alas Gary Bettman seems to have screwed this up as well:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2943692

Yeah, I read that too. But it wouldn't necessarily be "disciplinary action" if they cut him outright. "Disciplinary action" would be suspension. If they choose to cut him, they're washing their hands of the whole situation.

Exactly what I was thinking. And once again, I would be shocked if the NFLPA comes screaming outright.

If the Falcons are going to cut Vick, it's not going to happen today. They'd likely wait to see how Vick pleads. They might be able to recoup cap space if they release a player who pleads guilty to federal charges.

+1 :D

Since vick has been silent, and since he just hired a high profile trial attorney, I think this gets worse before it gets better.

Regardless if vick is aquitted or not, we know for a FACT, dogs were killed at his residence, and tortured. This is enough to tarnish him forever.

Same with kobe, so he didn't rape her, he still cheated on his wife wife and had rough sex with a practical teenager.

Vick gets released before its all said and done.

If the Falcons are going to cut Vick, it's not going to happen today. They'd likely wait to see how Vick pleads. They might be able to recoup cap space if they release a player who pleads guilty to federal charges.

From profootballtalk.com:

"...we believe that a decision to release Vick is unlikely to come until after he commits a default (in his contract), and after the team initiates an effort to recover bonus money previously paid to him. By our calculations, Vick is potentially on the hook for more than $28 million if he misses Thursday's training camp practice without written consent of the team to attend his arraignment. Likewise, the repayment obligation will be triggered if he is suspended by the team or the league.

By cutting him before he is in default, the Falcons would lose their ability to pursue the bonus money. Also, by cutting him after he is in default but before they secure a ruling that the money is owed, it's possible that the Falcons will have waived their claims."

If that's correct, they probably won't cut him till he's in default and they can go after the $28 million they gave him in signing bonus money. That would be after Thursday when camp opens.

Ah... no, their problem is lack of fan base.

Edited by irish

What's interesting about this whole thing is just how blessed the NFL is, and contniues to be. Their solid business decisions of the past are good, but having the NBA thing come out of nowhere in the last 5 days, and Bonds' breaking of the HR record that is, in effect, a symptom of Selig's commisionership, the NFL just has to drop kick a thug and they'll look just fine and come out of this mess better than before. It's always better to be ucky than good, and the NFL is both.

The same cannot be said of MLB, until Selig retires, or the NBA which might require a major reboot in order to save it. It will certainly not be the same league again.

Edited by Pope Flick

What's interesting about this whole thing is just how blessed the NFL is, and contniues to be. Their solid business decisions of the past are good, but having the NBA thing come out of nowhere in the last 5 days, and Bonds' breaking of the HR record that is, in effect, a symptom of Selig's commisionership, the NFL just has to drop kick a thug and they'll look just fine and come out of this mess better than before. It's always better to be ucky than good, and the NFL is both.

The same cannot be said of MLB, until Selig retires, or the NBA which might require a major reboot in order to save it. It will certainly not be the same league again.

The interesting thing is that there are many mangers, players, and broadcasters, historians of the game by all counts that say Selig is the best commissioner the game has ever had.

+2. Stern has by far the worst problem. The Bonds / BALCO thing is being addressed, however slowly and the record is only that - a record. The NFL need only dropkick Vick to be seen to have done the right thing. But the NBA......a lot of fans are going to wonder why they should bother showing up.

Added to the Bonds thing is that baseball itself turned a blind eye to steroids for a long time. They weren't banned for a long time. And so many players use it, Bonds is just one among many, and by far the best.

The interesting thing is that there are many mangers, players, and broadcasters, historians of the game by all counts that say Selig is the best commissioner the game has ever had.

Outside of Interleague Play, Selig has done little for MLB.

I'd like a link to that. Since he took over steroids went nuts, the strike crippled the game, steroids got WORSE and interleague ball has lost its luster and has the game in a competitive imbalance most seasons. Wild Card? That's about it that's positive.

He's been accused of collusion three times: twice by Fay Vincent - one for pushing him out, and the other that resulted in MLB paying $280mil to the players after Selig and others kept the FA market down one off-season. The 3rd time was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount after racketeering charges were brought against him and Loria by Expos minority owners. He tied the All Star game.

Finally, in front of congressional hearings on steroids (during the Sosa/McGuire/Palmeiro love fest), he was stopped in mid answer by a senator because the answer was becoming so wildly unbelievable that the senator took he time IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HEARINGS to remind Selig what the definition of perjury was. :D

In short, I'd like to see any 'true' baseball historian who thinks he's one of the best. He's one of the most corrupt to be sure.

Edited by Pope Flick

I am not sure of how the rules a written, but the Chargers had a player die in an airplane accident a few years back and they were still responisible for the contract, as written with regards to the cap, eve if the player was unavailable to the team.

I feel ni grief for Sick and what happens to him, but I do feel for the Falcons Organization and the players having to head into the season with this hanging over them.

I say again, THANK YOU JOHN BUTLER (RIP) for trading that pick away. If you hadn't, the Chargers would STILL suck! :D