[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cost of Game Tickets

Perchoutofwater

I don't know if this belongs in this forum or the tailgate, but I put it here. I normally get treated to 2-4 games a year by subcontractors or suppliers, so it has been a long time since I've personally bought tickets. This week my sister-in-law and her future hubby asked if me and the wife wanted to go to a game with them. Our comment was sure as long as we get good seats. Well while it was worth it to me, to pay the money to get the good seats, unfortunately they can't afford the good seats. I was shocked at how much of a premium ticket brokers put on seats to an NFL game. While ticket brokers are great for making sure a stadium is sold out, which is good for the owners, as well as the local TV audiences, are they killing the game experience for the average Joe? Seats that are shown on the stadium map to go for $139 are going for 5 to 7 times that.

I don't know if this belongs in this forum or the tailgate, but I put it here. I normally get treated to 2-4 games a year by subcontractors or suppliers, so it has been a long time since I've personally bought tickets. This week my sister-in-law and her future hubby asked if me and the wife wanted to go to a game with them. Our comment was sure as long as we get good seats. Well while it was worth it to me, to pay the money to get the good seats, unfortunately they can't afford the good seats. I was shocked at how much of a premium ticket brokers put on seats to an NFL game. While ticket brokers are great for making sure a stadium is sold out, which is good for the owners, as well as the local TV audiences, are they killing the game experience for the average Joe? Seats that are shown on the stadium map to go for $139 are going for 5 to 7 times that.

I am a season ticket holder and yes, it is crazy. One thing you might do is try going on your team's offical message board or something of that nature. Sometimes people try to unload tickets for face value or near. Or find someone who has season tickets, a friend of a friend. I usually sell mine to friends or friends of theirs only.

I am a season ticket holder and yes, it is crazy. One thing you might do is try going on your team's offical message board or something of that nature. Sometimes people try to unload tickets for face value or near. Or find someone who has season tickets, a friend of a friend. I usually sell mine to friends or friends of theirs only.

I'm doing the friend thing, if that doesn't work, I'll squeeze a subcontractor. Problem with the subcontractor angle, is they usually only give me two tickets, because they want to go along to try to shmooze me. So, I'll get mine, I'm just thinking about my sis-in-law and her beau.

Yeah, it is bad here in Philly. The season ticket waiting list is up around 50,000+ and when the single game tickets go on sale they are sold out in like 2 minutes. Unless you know someone with ticket you have to pay like 2-3 times the face value at least.

Steelers tickets are insane as well. The waiting list is about 20 years, and the prices are insane. When I go to a game, I like to sit in decent seats, lower level endzones at worst. For years, I have been paying between $225-$250 to get the endzone seats. Lower level sidelines range from $350-$1500 per ticket during the season. This year, I bought lower level season tickets on E-Bay for $4K. I then spent $500 for parking passes. For the games that I don't go to, I will make my money back and then some. Ticket prices are insane, and with the NFL's popularity continuing to grow and grow, I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

Steelers tickets are insane as well. The waiting list is about 20 years, and the prices are insane. When I go to a game, I like to sit in decent seats, lower level endzones at worst. For years, I have been paying between $225-$250 to get the endzone seats. Lower level sidelines range from $350-$1500 per ticket during the season. This year, I bought lower level season tickets on E-Bay for $4K. I then spent $500 for parking passes. For the games that I don't go to, I will make my money back and then some. Ticket prices are insane, and with the NFL's popularity continuing to grow and grow, I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

Agreed...as long as people are willing to spend those prices on tickets, brokers will continue to charge insane amounts. Take Perch's example for instance. If a subcontractor knows that by taking Mr. and Mrs. Perch to a game, the cost of the tickets would pale in comparison to the amount of business he could get. It's worth it for them to spend these sums of money...and that is what drives up tix prices.

Yep--tis true. I have been on the list since 98. And I contribute to the problem by purchasing stray tickets for obscene prices because of my mania. Such is my resolve--I find myself rationalizing ridiculous prices by convincing myself that if I don't go, I could miss the greatest game in club history because I was too cheap. Damn my conscience.

The Panthers have a PSL Pre-sale for single game tickets today at 10:00 am so I was able to hook up my Panthers brethren PD & JJ with tickets for one game a piece for face value. I also get another opportunity to buy single game tix through BofA as the Panthers usually give Bank employees a Pre-sale on Friday before they go on sale for the public.

Any team that has PSL rights would likely have the same type of situation, so even when they go on sale to the public, there is many seats already sold prior to the public tix are available. That is one of the reasons why many NFL tickets go to brokers so the people with the season tickets get a premium and then the stubhub.com gets its 15% from the pricing listed on their web site.

i solved that problem buy purchasing a a 60 " high def and the nfl package from direct tv , the picture quality is great , i can watch any game i want and me and my buddies to hang out in air conditioning and have a great time , not to mention it has stat tracker which keeps track of mt fantasy palyers for me so i can see how im doing during the games .....LOL ....and the red zone channel is great it bounces me all over the league to the games where teams are in scoring position so i can see all the good action... i love going to games but with a big screen and a nice sound system and air conditioning and heat ........i have to say i love my seats every week

i solved that problem buy purchasing a a 60 " high def and the nfl package from direct tv , the picture quality is great , i can watch any game i want and me and my buddies to hang out in air conditioning and have a great time , not to mention it has stat tracker which keeps track of mt fantasy palyers for me so i can see how im doing during the games .....LOL ....and the red zone channel is great it bounces me all over the league to the games where teams are in scoring position so i can see all the good action... i love going to games but with a big screen and a nice sound system and air conditioning and heat ........i have to say i love my seats every week

+the beer is cold and you don't have to stand in line.

Nothing wrong with that, and I enjoy that route often, but, there is nothing like being in the stadium......... I get the chills every single time I am at a game live and the Steelers are introduced. Football is a great sport to watch from the stands, as you see things you just can't see on TV. For example, you'll see a play where a corner slips and a wide receiver runs free, but, the QB never sees him or doesn't have time to see him. Sometimes you'll see a hole open up that a RB fails to see and cut to. There are a lot of cool things that you can't see on T.V.