[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It was only a matter of time

Pitbull739

My fantasy league started back in the dark ages of 1993 and we have held an onsite draft every year (that is 15 years for all the non-math majors). Guys have moved away from the Burgh to AZ, VA, NJ, and DC and the original 10 have still found a way to get together one weekend each summer for our draft. Guys got married over the years and the wives understood. Guys had babies, but timed it so all births were not in August. This year was different. We have one wedding in August (what fantasy owner schedules his wedding in August during draft time), 2 owners had babies last month and another is due any day now, and one joker got a new job with no vacation for 6 months and can't come. It is a sad, sad day for me as Commish that I have to cancel the onsite draft and go online this year. I am crushed. It was not only a time to draft the team, but it was the one time each year that a bunch of old college buddies would get together to tip many cold ones and relive the glory days. We will reconvene next year, but this year will be tough without kicking off the football season with the onsite draft. Just wanted to reach out to my fellow Huddlers to see if anyone else can relate to my pain.

My fantasy league started back in the dark ages of 1993 and we have held an onsite draft every year (that is 15 years for all the non-math majors). Guys have moved away from the Burgh to AZ, VA, NJ, and DC and the original 10 have still found a way to get together one weekend each summer for our draft. Guys got married over the years and the wives understood. Guys had babies, but timed it so all births were not in August. This year was different. We have one wedding in August (what fantasy owner schedules his wedding in August during draft time), 2 owners had babies last month and another is due any day now, and one joker got a new job with no vacation for 6 months and can't come. It is a sad, sad day for me as Commish that I have to cancel the onsite draft and go online this year. I am crushed. It was not only a time to draft the team, but it was the one time each year that a bunch of old college buddies would get together to tip many cold ones and relive the glory days. We will reconvene next year, but this year will be tough without kicking off the football season with the onsite draft. Just wanted to reach out to my fellow Huddlers to see if anyone else can relate to my pain.

Wow. I can't relate to that sort of bond, but I feel you dawg.

I truly understand your disappointment. However, why can't all the guys that can still get together do so and have the online draft for those not there in person. So 8 guys would get together and have a good time and gather around 1 computer while the other two would be responsible for getting to a computer to complete their draft. I have an onsite live draft every year and last year 1 guy couldn't make it, so we both signed onto AIM and I imed him every pick and he imed me all his picks. Pretty simple.

I truly understand your disappointment. However, why can't all the guys that can still get together do so and have the online draft for those not there in person. So 8 guys would get together and have a good time and gather around 1 computer while the other two would be responsible for getting to a computer to complete their draft. I have an onsite live draft every year and last year 1 guy couldn't make it, so we both signed onto AIM and I imed him every pick and he imed me all his picks. Pretty simple.

One year we had to do that where two people could not make it. Commish lined up a chat room for those two and the commish. They saw the picks and it went smooth.

+1 :D

My first and orginal league ran from 1989-2005 and was shut down due to the commitments we all face now and the distances apart. I commished from 1993-2005 and it was alot of work back then, but it got easier with the internet etc. We thought about doing an online league, but it would not be the same....so 2005 was the swan song. We all still play and keep in touch during the season and have many fond memories and laughable draft blunders......ahhh spreadsheets and the USA Today box scores.

My first and orginal league ran from 1989-2005 and was shut down due to the commitments we all face now and the distances apart. I commished from 1993-2005 and it was alot of work back then, but it got easier with the internet etc. We thought about doing an online league, but it would not be the same....so 2005 was the swan song. We all still play and keep in touch during the season and have many fond memories and laughable draft blunders......ahhh spreadsheets and the USA Today box scores.

Those were the "dark ages" but they were the best. There was nothing more exciting than the sound of the ticker coming up to catch up on those out of town scores. We are going to get back to the onsite draft next year and have the chat room set up for anyone that cannot make it. Just a very sad start to the year.