[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Briggs, Bears Close to Deal

The Wolf

As per ESPN.com:

:Dhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2948213

At one point, Lance Briggs said he would never play for the Chicago Bears again.

That stance may be a thing of past.

The Chicago Tribune reported that as of Tuesday night, there were strong indications the two sides were coming close to an agreement that would end a messy contract dispute and land Briggs in training camp on time.

According to the paper, Briggs' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, and the Bears have continued to negotiate even after the July 16 deadline for working out long-term contracts with franchise players. After a visit to Halas Hall last month, Rosenhaus said he had made some creative proposals to the team. But due to league rules, the sides can only agree to a one-year deal after the deadline.

The paper reported that one option was paying Briggs up front a large portion of the $7.2 million one-year contract the team tendered -- that would serve as a smaller signing bonus.

The Bears also have reportedly offered to rescind the franchise tag on Briggs for 2008 if he agrees to end the contract stalemate.

Reached by the newspaper on Tuesday night, Briggs declined to comment. But a teammate told the paper that Briggs had decided to sign and avoid a holdout.

Rosenhaus did not respond to inquiries by The Tribune.

Edited by The Wolf

I don't blame Briggs for wanting to play. The way careers come and go...play as much as you can. However, if Rosenhaus gets Briggs a good deal, then the winner is Briggs fo sho. Bears lose that one if Briggs makes significant money even on a one year tender. Ah, precedent.

I don't blame Briggs for wanting to play. The way careers come and go...play as much as you can. However, if Rosenhaus gets Briggs a good deal, then the winner is Briggs fo sho. Bears lose that one if Briggs makes significant money even on a one year tender. Ah, precedent.

Not true. Briggs is the one backing down here. The Bears had made it clear they would be prepared to sit his ass down for a year and getting a one year deal done is good for both parties Briggs because he won't be going bankrupt and the Bears because they can retain their excellent LB corps one more year.

Not true. Briggs is the one backing down here. The Bears had made it clear they would be prepared to sit his ass down for a year and getting a one year deal done is good for both parties Briggs because he won't be going bankrupt and the Bears because they can retain their excellent LB corps one more year.

I don't doubt that the Bears would have waited him out. My feeling is that they may sign him for more than they should for one year. If the Bears can get him for a better price than his market value, I score that one for the Bears. But if they overpay, even though he is an excellent LB, then Briggs wins, as he will play (and play well) then parlay that good season into a better contract somewhere else and the Bears will need to replace him (potentially in free agency) and pay top dollar for Brigg's replacement.

+1. I agree wholeheartedly. Briggs blinked and the Bears won this round of "chicken." His position appears to be changing...not theirs.

I can't say I know as much as the locals in the Windy City--I still think that Briggs playing this year helps him much more than the Bears, particularly if he plays well under a one year deal. He can then take the 2007 highlight tape to his prospective employers and cash out the big $$$. Am I wrong in the assumption that Briggs was well liked by the Bears front office and fans?

:D

I give you a dollar to a dime that Rosenass was the primary prevarocator of this situation.

Drew was the main liar in this situation? Of course, tell us something we don’t know. The fact is though that Briggs was controlling the situation and Drew was following orders. Briggs wasn't smart about it.

Good news, but utterly predictable. They're waving a winning lottery ticket in front of him and there's more down the road.

Goop, from what I have been reading, and looking between the lines my take on it is even if Rosenhau initiated the holdout, the negotiation and decision making was bad by both sides. Whoever was behind the parade around the owners meeting made a serious error, but given the two chuckleheads involved there's no telling who's (sp?) call that was.

This resolution though, has Rosenhaus all over it. What I find is interesting is more between the lines stuff: they talk of franchising him in 2008? That's the first time that's been publicly mentioned so I wonder if the Bears threatened to do that or if this is meant to head off they're doing it. In either event, someone is aalready planning for NEXT off-season.

What I find interesting is that 2 Chicago teams have solid relationships with the biggest boor agents in each sport: Rosenhaus and the Bears get along, and Boras and the Cubs do as well. Go figure.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm willing to bet that you've got this association between Briggs & Rosenass backwards.

Good news, but utterly predictable. They're waving a winning lottery ticket in front of him and there's more down the road.

Goop, from what I have been reading, and looking between the lines my take on it is even if Rosenhau initiated the holdout, the negotiation and decision making was bad by both sides. Whoever was behind the parade around the owners meeting made a serious error, but given the two chuckleheads involved there's no telling who's (sp?) call that was.

This resolution though, has Rosenhaus all over it. What I find is interesting is more between the lines stuff: they talk of franchising him in 2008? That's the first time that's been publicly mentioned so I wonder if the Bears threatened to do that or if this is meant to head off they're doing it. In either event, someone is aalready planning for NEXT off-season.

What I find interesting is that 2 Chicago teams have solid relationships with the biggest boor agents in each sport: Rosenhaus and the Bears get along, and Boras and the Cubs do as well. Go figure.

I’ll take that bet. All the talk here in Chicago and here at the radio station is that Briggs was forcing Drew’s hand. But for sure, this situation was handled poorly, unlike Freeney.

And franchise tag next year? They said they would rescind it and I don’t see why they would want to franchise him next year after this mess. He can’t agree to a long term contract, only a one year offer.

You have to remember that Angelo fielded NO calls to even talk about Briggs. Many people feel is a product of the system. I am half and half on that thought.

I’ll take that bet. All the talk here in Chicago and here at the radio station is that Briggs was forcing Drew’s hand. But for sure, this situation was handled poorly, unlike Freeney.

And franchise tag next year? They said they would rescind it and I don’t see why they would want to franchise him next year after this mess. He can’t agree to a long term contract, only a one year offer.

You have to remember that Angelo fielded NO calls to even talk about Briggs. Many people feel is a product of the system. I am half and half on that thought.

You're better plugged in than me. It's intereesting that Briggs was such a pr!ck about it, and now caves. Whatever dude. I hope they trade his ass for a draft pick if he wants to play for a year than walk.

The 'product of the system' thing was something I heard last year, and played a part in the celiling of the long term offer they made last year.

You're better plugged in than me. It's intereesting that Briggs was such a pr!ck about it, and now caves. Whatever dude. I hope they trade his ass for a draft pick if he wants to play for a year than walk.

The 'product of the system' thing was something I heard last year, and played a part in the celiling of the long term offer they made last year.

I agree but I wonder how much he is worth, along with the product of a system thing. I am honestly fine if he is gone, this team has shown they have some depth at other positions, but we haven't seen what Angelo has done with the linebackers lately. I want to see that.

I agree but I wonder how much he is worth, along with the product of a system thing. I am honestly fine if he is gone, this team has shown they have some depth at other positions, but we haven't seen what Angelo has done with the linebackers lately. I want to see that.

Angelo has a solid enough track record in rds 3-5 that I'd take two, heck even one, pick in that range fr this winy dude. Jamar! Come on down!

What I REALLY want the Bears to do is simply go after a bad-ass young safety next year. They've locked up the corners, have a stud DT, MLB and cross your fingers with Anderson at DE. But bring in a healthy buck to take over for Archuleta and Brown (the true defensive MVP who can never stay healthy) and it is seriously on.

What I REALLY want the Bears to do is simply go after a bad-ass young safety next year. They've locked up the corners, have a stud DT, MLB and cross your fingers with Anderson at DE. But bring in a healthy buck to take over for Archuleta and Brown (the true defensive MVP who can never stay healthy) and it is seriously on.

Right on! I have been saying that for a while to my friends also. I sorta wanted Brandon Merriweather but I knew Angelo wouldn’t go after him with his checkered past.

After further review.... the Bears still suck. It does not matter who they sign as long as Grossman is the QB. This team will maybe come close agian with a lucky defense and some special team touchdowns to get them to the playoffs and then when it gets to be crunch time they will lose once again.

After further review.... the Bears still suck. It does not matter who they sign as long as Grossman is the QB. This team will maybe come close agian with a lucky defense and some special team touchdowns to get them to the playoffs and then when it gets to be crunch time they will lose once again.

:D

Umm, ok.

Well, if the NFC Champions suck what does that say about your team? :D

We'll see if Aaron Ridgers can get to a Super bowl in his first full season too - next year, right?

Hey! I just remembered you're the guy who was in LA last season but kept ducking my invites to grab a beer, seeing as how you were boning a chick in my neighborhood, also right? "lol"

Well, if the NFC Champions suck what does that say about your team? :D

We'll see if Aaron Ridgers can get to a Super bowl in his first full season too - next year, right?

Hey! I just remembered you're the guy who was in LA last season but kept ducking my invites to grab a beer, seeing as how you were boning a chick in my neighborhood, also right? "lol"

Ha Ha.

I am back in GB again. Did enjoy it out there. I don't recall any specific invites though. Sorry about that.

Back to the football.. Granted the Bears were the division champs. i just don't see there team being any better this year than last and I also don't see as many defensive and/or special team touchdowns this year so I believe last year was ar far as this team could go and it will only be downhill from there as long as Grossman is around.

The Pack is rebuilding and will finish below the Bears. I just feel bad for the Bears fans that still think they have a legit shot at winnig a super bowl. It must be frustrating. :D