[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jacobs turning 4.4 40s

Bronco Billy

Link to story

BUILT TO LAST

In February, Jacobs finally listened to one of Barber's biggest tips when he started working out with Joe Carini, the local fitness trainer who helped transform Barber from a smallish scat back into a more powerful runner capable of carrying the ball 30 times a game.

Carini's job with Jacobs was slightly different. Instead of bulking up, Jacobs needed to build stamina, so Carini asked Jacobs to do anywhere from five to seven reps with a decent amount of weight instead of maxing out for two or three lifts.

"We wanted him to be able to play five quarters if he has to -- and be as strong on his last carry as his first," said Carini, knowing that more playing time this season will add more strain on Jacobs' body. "And when he runs the ball eight times on a drive, he has to have something left in the tank for that eighth carry.

"He just needed some endurance because, I'll tell you what, he's a powerful kid."

Jacobs is strong enough to lift 670 pounds on a squat machine and almost half a ton on a leg press for more than five reps, according to Carini. And thanks to a weight sled onto which Carini would load 90 pounds before strapping it to Jacobs, the NFL's biggest No. 1 back is almost as speedy as most of his counterparts. Three years after his 40-yard dash was timed in the mid-4.5 second range, Jacobs is now running in the mid-4.4s.

"The first 10 yards, he's got average speed for an NFL back," said Carini, who also trained Kansas City's Johnson this off-season. "Those last 30 yards, he's like a freight train. Trust me, you don't want to tackle him then -- not even around the ankles."

Jacobs' speed and endurance were evident during a workout last week at Giants Stadium with Droughns and third-string running back Derrick Ward. For each of the 100-yard gassers they ran, Jacobs was first to the line, first off the line and first to cross the line. And even though his teammates were just hoping to make it through 10 sprints, he was trying -- unsuccessfully -- to convince them to run 14.

Jacobs is shaping up to be the kind of guy you steal in the 3rd or 4th round of a draft & watch him carry you to a championship.

Carini's job with Jacobs was slightly different. Instead of bulking up, Jacobs needed to build stamina, so Carini asked Jacobs to do anywhere from five to seven reps with a decent amount of weight instead of maxing out for two or three lifts.

I really find it hard to believe that Jacobs prior lifting routine involved only 2-3 rep sets. If he was following his team's strength and conditioning program, I can almost guarantee he was already working in the 5-7 rep range. Any weightlifter can tell you that only doing 2-3 rep sets is not going to get you anywhere unless you want to be a professional/amatuer powerlifter, and even then they will exceed 2-3 rep sets during training....

I'm more impressed with his dedication/motivation than I am with his speed...but that speed is a NICE bonus. :D

I'm glad I get to keep him with a 7th-rounder in Outraged. :D

I traded for him in Huddlers Refuge as soon as Tiki announced his retirement last year. It cost me Cotchery. I'm beginning to like the looks of that deal.

An owner in one of my leagues decided to keep Michael Turner (this season only) instead of Jacobs. I didn't understand it then and I really don't understand it now. :D

Well everyone thought Turner would be traded at some point, but that didnt happen. Hindsight is 20/20... On the flip side of that, we knew Jacobs would get a chance since Tiki's retirement came out early, but Turner would have been just as nice had he been traded.

I really find it hard to believe that Jacobs prior lifting routine involved only 2-3 rep sets. If he was following his team's strength and conditioning program, I can almost guarantee he was already working in the 5-7 rep range. Any weightlifter can tell you that only doing 2-3 rep sets is not going to get you anywhere unless you want to be a professional/amatuer powerlifter, and even then they will exceed 2-3 rep sets during training....

2-3 reps. has it's place in training. 2-3 reps. can be used for explosive lifting techniques with high weight which will help gain muscle when hitting a plateau or wanting to change up your routine. There are many different ways in style, weight and reps to lift for a sport and they all have their place. Everyone is an individual and the training must be catered to the results of the individual.

Carini is a great trainer. Tiki used to train with him or maybe he still does. Carini had a gym in my town, I had many players going to him and they all showed significant improvement in whatever they went for as he also had a speed camp as well. Too bad he had to move.

2-3 reps. has it's place in training. 2-3 reps. can be used for explosive lifting techniques with high weight which will help gain muscle when hitting a plateau or wanting to change up your routine. There are many different ways in style, weight and reps to lift for a sport and they all have their place. Everyone is an individual and the training must be catered to the results of the individual.

I bolded the most important statement. The key is to use low reps for certain phases of training or to shock the body. I strongly agree - I use 2-3 rep sets during phases of training. Sometimes during the strength period when using Berardi's theory of periodization (hypertrophy (big), maximal strength (strong), and power (fast)). Some great programs/articles here: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/training/index.htm

I also get excellent results when I use basic DC (DoggCrapp) training, and train to failure.

But the bottom line is you can't be ONLY using 2-3 reps as your routine, or constantly train to failure every time in the gym for months. You will have serious overtraining issues amongst other issues that will stunt growth.

Maybe I read the article too literally, but when the author wrote: Carini asked Jacobs to do anywhere from five to seven reps with a decent amount of weight instead of maxing out for two or three lifts.

It sounded to me like prior to working with Carini, Jacobs never worked out in the 5-7 rep range and only "maxed out for 2-3 lifts".

That simply makes no sense, as no professional trainer would put anyone on a program that never hits 5-7 reps and always stays in 2-3 lift range.

They seem to credit Carini for pulling Jacobs up out of using only 2-3 rep sets and introducing him to 5-7 rep sets, and that has to be completely false. More likely, Carnini didn't want Jacobs to max out at all, and never dip into 2-3 reps during the offseason. But I'm quite sure Jacobs would have been doing more than 2-3 rep sets before working with Carini.

I find it hard to believe that Jacobs, being in the shape he is in would be doing anything in training completely one way. You seem to have some real knowledge about strength training; if you're lifting for more than a couple months (other than a beginner) doing only one set routine, same reps, weight and so on you'll undoubtedly hit a plateau. If you don't do something to change it up a bit you'll continue to hit that plateau as the body becomes acclimated to your routine. I believe Carini helped him, as I said I believe him to be a great trainer but, I think what you read may have been misstated.

I find it hard to believe that Jacobs, being in the shape he is in would be doing anything in training completely one way. You seem to have some real knowledge about strength training; if you're lifting for more than a couple months (other than a beginner) doing only one set routine, same reps, weight and so on you'll undoubtedly hit a plateau. If you don't do something to change it up a bit you'll continue to hit that plateau as the body becomes acclimated to your routine. I believe Carini helped him, as I said I believe him to be a great trainer but, I think what you read may have been misstated.

I agree. I don't know much about Carini, but I'm assuming he could have helped Jacobs improve in the gym, but also not just his diet, but nutrient timing, as well as his intake of supplements and administration of rest. All of these, in combination with an innovative and thorough lifting program which varies over time in both intensity and excercises performed, can help any athlete of any level excel beyond prior goals. Nutrition Science is improving every day, and even NFL athletes should be willing to listen to new advice in order to get the most out of their bodies.

LINK

OC Kevin Gilbride on the Giants' RB situation:

*Gilbride on the depth chart at running back:

“You start with Brandon (Jacobs) as the guy with Rueben (Droughns) competing for as much playing time as he can get and Brandon trying to hold off and trying to get as much as he can hold on to. But, I mean, there are other guys there too. Derrick Ward, is a young guy that we are anxious to see what he can do. Again, as Tom (Coughlin) talked about, there is some interesting competition at certain positions and it is probably not proper for me to say that I think this guy is going to start. But right now you got to say that Brandon is the guy we feel confident in to be the running back to carry the ball 20-25 times a game, but we will let it all play out.”

LINK

OC Kevin Gilbride on the Giants' RB situation:

*Gilbride on the depth chart at running back:

You start with Brandon (Jacobs) as the guy with Rueben (Droughns) competing for as much playing time as he can get and Brandon trying to hold off and trying to get as much as he can hold on to. But, I mean, there are other guys there too. Derrick Ward, is a young guy that we are anxious to see what he can do. Again, as Tom (Coughlin) talked about, there is some interesting competition at certain positions and it is probably not proper for me to say that I think this guy is going to start. But right now you got to say that Brandon is the guy we feel confident in to be the running back to carry the ball 20-25 times a game, but we will let it all play out.”

It's not exactly a ringing endorsement there...this guy flip-flopped several times. That tells me that they want Jacobs to be the guy but are not entirely sure he can do it.

It's not exactly a ringing endorsement there...this guy flip-flopped several times. That tells me that they want Jacobs to be the guy but are not entirely sure he can do it.

That, and/or he's trying to provide motivation for the other names he dropped to realize they have an opportunity to play a role, but they need to have a great camp to prove their worth.

The Giants are moving from a comparatively little nimble RB to a...well....Giant RB. I'm not surprised they're not certain about Jacobs, it's a major change of style. They certainly can't complain about his work ethic though, unlike many teams.

I think Jacobs will be very good this year in the red zone. As for Droughns...he played behind a weak O Line in Cleveland. With some holes, he can still be effective, IMO. Don't be surprised to see Thunder and Thunder--RBB2B with the carries given to the more effective back on a game by game basis. I can see them splitting the load and not featuring anyone.

That, and/or he's trying to provide motivation for the other names he dropped to realize they have an opportunity to play a role, but they need to have a great camp to prove their worth.

Agreed. The statement seems to be a diplomatic one designed to motivate. Rather than one of someone unsure of their player taking the lead role.

Ahhhh....August. LOL....gotta love this time of year for double-speak in the NFL community. :D

Don't want to alienate the guys working hard to get to first string or even make the team. Yet they don't want the vets to feel in danger of being replaced by younger talent. And we wade through all the news HOPING to find sleepers and value picks for our upcoming drafts.

Mmmmmm......the smell of napalm in the morning. :D

Moving him up my draft sheet a couple notches. Damn, if he's faster than Droughs too, how can you justify not giving him the lion's share of the carries. Younger, faster, stronger, better on the goal line....

I am just worried that Tiki was Eli's "I'm scared, here take it!" outlet. Not sure Jacobs will be catching passes over the middle like that.

Moving him up my draft sheet a couple notches. Damn, if he's faster than Droughs too, how can you justify not giving him the lion's share of the carries. Younger, faster, stronger, better on the goal line....

I am just worried that Tiki was Eli's "I'm scared, here take it!" outlet. Not sure Jacobs will be catching passes over the middle like that.

Jacobs has very good hands.