[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

REINSTATEMENT DENIED

BearcatGreg

Per the Bengals website: What can only be considered a surprise, the NFL today denied Bengal LB Odell Thurman's petition for reinstatement. The league gave no reason for denying the petition and said that Thurman can apply for reinstatement after the 2007 season. This is crazy. The guy did everyhting he was supposed to do. He kept his nose clean and attended counseling sessions as mandated by the league. Looks like the shadow of Mike Vick has far reaching implications. Anybody think Pacman has a chance of coming back next year?

Posted this thought in the IDP forum:

This seems awfully harsh to me - 2 years off for what he did? That's a hell of a sentence and even though I'm 100% behind Goodell so far, this seems way over the top to me and the first time I'd disagree with his suspensions.

Full disclosure - I own Thurman in an IDP league. Wasn't counting on him starting for me, but was hopeful he'd work his way back eventually.

Could be that Goodell has confidential information on Thurman that is driving this decision. If not, then wow!

I thought that actions resulting in suspensions (past Phase I of the intervention program) had to be disclosed per the CBA.

What a joke..this guy has done everything asked of him in order to get reinstalted and Goodell suspends him again for year....a total of 32 games!! Goodell is obviously a Steelers fan. He did go to college in PA during the late 70's early 80's....

Unless there is something that we dont know about, this is horrible...all he did was miss a drug test and get a DUI. Jerry Porter jumped Levi Jones and stole his wallet and he just gets a fine?!?!?! If a Bengal did that he get a 4 game suspension....

I have supported all his decisions up too this point, but this one is not right. Booo!!!

This is just crazy!

Seriously I thought the longest suspension you can have is only 1 year!!!

Do you think if he appealed this it would go through!

When you get to stage 3 the suspension is indefinite, defined only by the commissioner.

Last year Onterrio was denied and told he could re-apply in October. Now this is a different period, but either they found some of the GA accuastions are true(they may have investigated themselves) or he did something we haven't heard about yet.

They should have announced this themselves and explained it better. Their silence is hard to understand.

"In Stage 3, the player has failed the other two stages. There is no time limit on Stage 3. Once in this stage, you are in this stage for the rest of your career, period. Unannounced testing, counseling from all angles, NO TOLERANCE for failure. This is stricter than the requirements of the military, companies, or any other sport I know of.

You fail in Stage 3, the penalty is, in the NFL’s own words, BANISHMENT! First for a minimum of one year, second, while it is on a case by case basis the chances of maintaining your career are pretty slim. Start looking at a new line of work. Once you are banished, you do not get paid regardless of whether is was a guaranteed signing bonus or not. If you apply for reinstatement, and are reinstated, then you can pick up your contract. Although many teams have clauses in the behavioral section of the contract that would nullify it if you hit Stage 3. At Stage 3 you are really at the mercy of the NFL to get yourself back in."

Edited by Randall

He was actually accused of assault last month.

That's true but the accusers didn't file a complaint until the next day so the police didn't file charges. A hearing was set up but the accusers dropped the accusation.

They could have been paid off or the accusation could have been bogus. If the NFL investigated perhaps they found something the authorities couldn't pursue.

haha.. tough Sega! bungles. and dont compare porter's incident with thurman. porter wasnt on the last step of the substance abuse program when he punched jones.. hell, he's never even been arrested before that. thurman has always been in trouble since college. now the bengals are paying for taking guys other teams knowingly passed on.

haha.. tough Sega! bungles. and dont compare porter's incident with thurman. porter wasnt on the last step of the substance abuse program when he punched jones.. hell, he's never even been arrested before that. thurman has always been in trouble since college. now the bengals are paying for taking guys other teams knowingly passed on.

Like Bam Morris?

who was cut after pleading guilty; then signed by none other than the baltimore jail birds.

Yeah?So what?Your other post wasn't about the topic,it was there just to annoy Bengals fans.My post was there just to annoy you.

My point is,Thurman is about to serve a second year of a suspension for a DUI.He's a bonehead,but unless there's something we don't know about,that's ridiculous.

Well there could be dozens of reasons for this that the NFL isn't disclosing. Goodell isn't taking any chances nowadays, especially with previous offenders.

That's the troubling part, not saying anything. Something should have been said. A lot of people thought his re-instatement was a given, then they just denied it.

Was there a failed test? Did he miss a teast? Did they find something in the GA incident? Did they think he wasn't taking couseling seriously?

What is weird is he can't apply to be re instated until next year while Pacman can after 10 weeks. Why?