[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deion defends Vick

Bill Swerski

So, enlighten me. I gave you an example that directly related to your comments. A 26 year old from a well to do family with no violent history repeatedly rapes and kills a mother, 17 year old and 11 year old daughters. You won't judge him because you haven't walked in his shoes. Explain this to me. I don't see it.

:D this is unbelievably stupid, hugh. yes, dogfighting is currently illegal everywhere in this country. but was it a hundred years ago? i'm pretty sure raping and murdering children were. have people and/or dogs changed so drastically in 100 years, or is it a shady moral area where the general consensus has shifted, but different cultures and different people still have different attitudes toward dogfighting? every culture has the same attitude toward rape and murder. intelligent people understand this, and refrain from stupidly equating EVERYTHING that is currently against the law with raping and murdering children.

Edited by Azazello1313

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big John will clue you in. I've been here since the beginning in 1997. I was also member #60 when it moved over here, but, I lost the password and had a new one created. There are only a handful of people that were here before me. However, due to my own irresponsibility, my member # and sign-on date don't reflect my veteranship, and there would be no way for you to know that.

I've been here pretty much since the beginning, too ... but, I (honestly) don't remember anything about you until after PIT won the SB. :D

So, I guess you do know what Hugh was referring to. I'm still guessing that Irish doesn't. That's ok...just checking.

Big John will clue you in. I've been here since the beginning in 1997. I was also member #60 when it moved over here, but, I lost the password and had a new one created. There are only a handful of people that were here before me. However, due to my own irresponsibility, my member # and sign-on date don't reflect my veteranship, and there would be no way for you to know that.

:D Confirmed. And you had a couple more along the way until you found out you could change the password so you would not lose them.

Um.....if you'd like to go back and take another look, I was interpreting CDs post, as far as upbringing having an effect on the natural mores people have. I wasn't agreeing with those mores, only agreeing that they do exist. I also stated that whether Vick and Co have these mores is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned - it is the mores of society that are important.

Sorry Ursa, I just happened to quote your post. I knew you were'nt agreeing that Vick is excused b/c of his upbringing.....

Vick, Bonds, Deion........ you sure can pick'em :D

Bonds/Deion aren't picks. I'm just on the side that until something sticks to Bonds the record should be celebrated even though it will always have suspicion and a taint. Deion is Deion, but I thought he was a pretty good player.

Bonds/Deion aren't picks. I'm just on the side that until something sticks to Bonds the record should be celebrated even though it will always have suspicion and a taint. Deion is Deion, but I thought he was a pretty good player.

:D

I agree with Deion on two points:

a. There are crimes that are far worse than fighting dogs; and,

b. The media is making this a bigger story than it should be.

How is the media making more of this than it should? The face of an NFL franchise is in a potentially career ending legal dispute. How is this not media worthy in the highest form?

I've been here pretty much since the beginning, too ... but, I (honestly) don't remember anything about you until after PIT won the SB. :D

So, I guess you do know what Hugh was referring to. I'm still guessing that Irish doesn't. That's ok...just checking.

Wait a minute...... The Steelers WON a SuperBowl????? :D

As for Deion's little piece, all I can say is WOW, just wow..... I can't believe he took that stance with that lame ass argument and quoted New Jack City, that alone warrents an asskicking

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

:D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that incredibly funny. :D

:D this is unbelievably stupid, hugh. yes, dogfighting is currently illegal everywhere in this country. but was it a hundred years ago? i'm pretty sure raping and murdering children were. have people and/or dogs changed so drastically in 100 years, or is it a shady moral area where the general consensus has shifted, but different cultures and different people still have different attitudes toward dogfighting? every culture has the same attitude toward rape and murder. intelligent people understand this, and refrain from stupidly equating EVERYTHING that is currently against the law with raping and murdering children.

Thanks for calling me stupid and unintelligent, it's much appreciated. But perhaps you'd like to re-read my statement. I wasn't comparing rape/murder to dogfighting, I was asking how CD would interpret his stance on "not having walked in someone's shoes" between someone accused of dogfighting and someone accused of rape/murder. But thanks anyhow. Nothing like some good old condescension early in the morning. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

"What a dog means to Vick might be a lot different than what he means to you or I. Hold on, don’t start shaking your head just yet. Listen to me."

You, me AND THE LAW YOU OVER-RATED TOOL.

OK, so we just had 2 ex-cons kill and rape a mother, 17 year old and 11 year old daughter in Connecticut. But let's not judge them because maybe they grew up in a different environment. I get your point, makes perfect sense to me.

EDIT: You can read about it here, might help you walk in their shoes a bit: http://www.newsradio88.com/pages/716889.ph...ontentId=718536

This story kills me, Hugh... I'm pretty close to this town and it's insane to think about..

"What a dog means to Vick might be a lot different than what he means to you or I. Hold on, don’t start shaking your head just yet. Listen to me."

You, me AND THE LAW YOU OVER-RATED TOOL.

This story kills me, Hugh... I'm pretty close to this town and it's insane to think about..

Yeah that story kills me too..So friggin sad. Those 2 guys should be shot immediately after the first trial..No drawn out appeals..Just a gun to the head..There really should be shot now but Ill let the justice system play out a little bit.

Yeah that story kills me too..So friggin sad. Those 2 guys should be shot immediately after the first trial..No drawn out appeals..Just a gun to the head..There really should be shot now but Ill let the justice system play out a little bit.

Read today that the State will seek the death penalty.

Wow, sounds like Deion licked the coke mirror clean before writing that turd.

I don't believe in moral relativism, so I'm not going to give Vick a pass because he grew up somewhere other than where I grew up. I think that I understand though the nuance that CD was trying to communicate here, and that is... while Vick's actions are objectively wrong and will be judged by our justice system, his state of mind or intentions or what was in his heart while he committed these crimes might not be as clear to us because of his environment. That's fine... none of us can really know the inner machinations of an individual's soul. But that's precisely why we should factor out his unknown intentions in the case and just go by the known facts as they are coming into focus.

Edited by Savage Beatings

How is the media making more of this than it should? The face of an NFL franchise is in a potentially career ending legal dispute. How is this not media worthy in the highest form?
Is it newsworthy? Defintely. Is it important? Sure. Should the world of dog fighting be exposed and eliminated? Heck yeah. Should it monopolize 95% of the sporting worlds news with 581 legal "experts" analyzing the case 582 different ways? No. We (the general public) know very little about the actual case and evidence...basically what is gleamed from the incitement and other court records. Yes it doesn't look good for Vick, but I also think that we haven't seen the tip of the iceburg with what is coming...nor will we see it until trail. Most things until then, unless there is some major public announcement by either legal team, will be the same news regurgitated time and time again. Every now and then some village idiot like Portis or Sanders will speak up when it probably would have been best for them to shut up.

Well, it is good to know the Deion can still find his way into conversation (beyond wearing suits purchased from the 1990 movie Dick Tracy. His opinion, which I may say lacks no validity as he is no expert in jurisprudence, psychology, or sociology, rings of apologisms from open to close. I wish he apologized for MC Hammer that hard--that cat could dance. But I digress...

After reading the article, (and once I regained consciousness and was able to get back into my chair) I thought about the op-ed piece and tried, really tried, to understand where Deion was coming from. I mean it--I tried. Sadly, I can only report that after all of my thinking, regardless of Vick's purported innocence or guilt, his childhood, personal life, etc., there really is only one summative assessment I can make about this situation.

If Deion defends you, you must be guilty. :D

Edited by Ruffian