[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Corey Simon will attend Colts training camp

CaptainHook

Defensive tackle Corey Simon, who missed the Indianapolis Colts’ Super Bowl season with a knee injury and an undisclosed illness, is expected to report to Terre Haute on Sunday for the start of training camp.

“He’s planning on showing up,’’ Roosevelt Barnes, Simon’s agent, said today. “He’s in shape. He’s ready to play football, hopefully for the Colts.’’

Simon’s status with the team has been in question since he was placed on the NFL’s non-football illness/injury list last October. He underwent knee surgery in August, then was placed on the season-ending list reportedly with polyarthritis.

Simon was not present with other inactive Colts during the week leading up to their Super Bowl win over Chicago in Miami, and was not invited to the Super Bowl ring ceremony in June.

The Colts originally signed Simon to a five-year, $30 million contract prior to the 2005 season. He started 13 regular-season games, totaling 41 tackles.

according to the Indy Star

We'll see about his "shape".

But, like I've been saying all along, I think the Colts are going to see what he can do before just cutting him.

McFarland and Simon in the middle would sure make it harder for teams to run on us. . . right? . . .

McFarland and Simon in the middle would sure make it harder for teams to run on us. . . right? . . .

Simon alone makes a tremendous difference. It would also be nice to be able to use Brock as a DE in short-yardage situations.

Edited by Bill Swerski

or maybe he won't?

Almost every player was present and accounted for as the Indianapolis Colts took the next step in defense of their Super Bowl championship by reporting Sunday to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.

Uncertainty, though, continued to follow Corey Simon. Although the veteran defensive tackle told The Star on Friday he planned to report with the rest of his teammates, he was not seen on campus. The Colts did not comment on Simon, and a team spokesman said all personnel matters would be addressed today.

Reached on his cell phone Sunday, Simon declined to shed any light on his situation.

"I'm not in a position to comment at this time,'' he said, refusing to reveal his whereabouts.

from Indy Staar

According to the Indianapolis Star, Corey Simon failed his physical. A decision regarding his status would be made "relatively soon" according to Bill Polian.

Edited by CaptainHook

According to the Indianapolis Star, Corey Simon failed his physical. A decision regarding his status would be made "relatively soon" according to Bill Polian.

Which probably means that he's getting cut this week. Good thing that they can spread his cap hit out over two years and that Glenn's retirement lowers the hit for this year somewhat.

Which probably means that he's getting cut this week. Good thing that they can spread his cap hit out over two years and that Glenn's retirement lowers the hit for this year somewhat.

Tarik even returned a portion of his signing bonus, over a million bucks, so he must be more serious about retiring than I hoped. I don't think the Colts would have come after it either.

Edited by CaptainHook

Tarik even returned a portion of his signing bonus, over a million bucks, so he must be more serious about retiring than I hoped. I don't think the Colts would have come after it either.

Aren't NFL players required to return a prorated portion of their signing bonus if they retire before their contract is up (e.g., Ricky Williams)?

Either way, Tarik's a good guy and I'm glad that his departure was on good terms.

Aren't NFL players required to return a prorated portion of their signing bonus if they retire before their contract is up (e.g., Ricky Williams)?

Either way, Tarik's a good guy and I'm glad that his departure was on good terms.

No, I don't think it's a requirement. But it will provide the Colts with more cap space.

Teams are within their rights to ask for the prorated portion of their signing bonus returned, and if a player leaves on bad terms they almost always will, but I don't think they HAVE to.

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said Monday Corey Simon failed his pre-training camp physical.

That was news to the veteran defensive tackle and his agent.

"No one has called to tell us anything,'' Roosevelt Barnes, Simon's agent, said Monday afternoon, clearly miffed. "The first I heard of Corey failing his physical was when (reporters) started calling me about it.''

Despite being under contract and on the active roster, Simon was not seen on the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology campus when the team reported Sunday. He also wasn't present when the team went through its first training camp practices Monday.

He apparently was waiting anxiously at his home in Tallahassee, Fla. After being brought into Indianapolis for his physical Friday, Simon was sent home, according to Barnes, either Saturday or Sunday.

Team president Bill Polian said the Colts won't make a decision on Simon until after further discussions with team physicians regarding the results of Simon's exam.

"It's really in the hands of the doctors at this point,'' he said. "We're waiting for their interpretation of some test results.''

Barnes and Simon are waiting, period.

"We don't know what's going on,'' Barnes said. "I just heard he didn't pass his physical and I don't know why.''

Barnes said when the Colts brought Simon in for the Friday physical, a team official told him to pack enough clothes to get him through Sunday. When Simon checked to see what his dorm arrangements would be at Rose-Hulman, he said a team official informed him he wasn't on any rooming list.

"Corey didn't know what was going on,'' Barnes said. "What it looks like to me is they never had any intention of him passing his physical.''

Barnes stressed Simon is healthy, in great shape and still wants to play for the Dungy-led Colts. If the feeling isn't mutual, he said, "we want the Colts to release him. Corey will be disappointed, but he wants to be able to play somewhere this year.

"At this point all we can do is react to whatever they do.''

Indy Star 7/30/07

A settlement is in the works that will sever ties linking the Indianapolis Colts and defensive tackle Corey Simon.

Describing the multimillion-dollar investment in the former Pro Bowl selection prior to the 2005 season as a "bad mistake,'' owner Jim Irsay said Wednesday night the team and representatives for Simon are on the verge of a resolution that will make Simon a free agent and enable him to seek employment with some other NFL team.

"I foresee us basically coming to a settlement in terms of moving forward and him pursuing his opportunity if he chooses to someplace else,'' Irsay said after watching his Super Bowl champion Colts entertain a crowd of 3,253 with an evening workout at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.

"We're moving forward and he wants to move forward. It's better to get it resolved instead of have it linger. I see it happening in the next day or two.''

Irsay did not elaborate on the negotiations with Roosevelt Barnes, Simon's agent. Barnes did not respond to a message left on his cell phone Wednesday.

One possibility is Simon agreeing to repay the Colts a portion of the $5 million signing bonus that was included in the five-year, $30 million contract he signed prior to the '05 season. The Colts failed in their attempt at recouping an $8 million option bonus they paid Simon last offseason. He is due to make a base salary of $3.955 million this season.

Without taking into account whatever Simon repays the team in any settlement, he has received more than $14 million. He started 14 games in 2005, including the postseason, but missed the entire '06 season with a knee injury and an undisclosed illness, reportedly polyarthritis.

Simon, 30, did not report to Rose-Hulman with the rest of his teammates Sunday. Barnes said his client took a physical in Indianapolis on Friday -- the Colts said he failed the exam -- and was sent back to his home in Tallahassee, Fla.

The Simon saga, Irsay indicated, only reinforces his belief that investing in the NFL's free agent market is risky business.

"We've made our success from great drafting and keeping our excellent players,'' he said.

When president Bill Polian and coach Tony Dungy approached Irsay about signing Simon, "I was for going for it,'' Irsay said. "But ultimately as an owner you know there's risk involved there.

"It simply didn't work out . . . but you still have to be aggressive and take opportunities when they come up. Free agency has proven to be a risky proposition when you're bringing in players that you didn't draft, that didn't come up in your system. Sometimes that mesh just isn't there.''

Irsay kept Dungy in the loop throughout the process.

"I didn't know how far along they were,'' Dungy said, "but I knew (a settlement) was a direction we were going.'''

In another personnel matter, rookie defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock, a third-round draft pick, apparently has signed his four-year contract. Dungy said he believed Pitcock finally passed his physical and would be ready to practice starting today.

Indy Star 8/2/07

Hook,

If we get any of that $5M back from Simon this year, can we use that money still this year, or does it need to be prorated over several.

It sounds like the Colts are only recouping cash and I would assume that they would take the same cap hit as if they had outright released him.

Thank God this mess is finally coming to an end. The Colts need to move on.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Hook,

If we get any of that $5M back from Simon this year, can we use that money still this year, or does it need to be prorated over several.

well, I believe once he is cut, the Colts must absorb all of his signing bonus on the cap. Since it is after June 1, I believe they can split that hit up over the next two seasons. So the $5 million would just be $5 million less dollars on the cap over the next two years.