[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick's Co-Defendent has pled GUILTY

DMD

He's the one that found the property that Vick bought. Taylor had some falling out with Vick and no longer was a part of Bad Newz Kennels. With a guilty plea, it is speculated that he is rolling over on the rest to save his own neck (or at least minimize his sentence).

Vick co-defendant strikes deal

'This could be very bad news" for Falcons QB, veteran criminal defense attorney says

By JEREMY REDMON

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/28/07

One of the men facing federal dogfighting charges along with Falcons quarterback Michael Vick is discussing a plea deal with federal prosecutors, which could spell bad news for Vick.

Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Va., has a plea agreement hearing scheduled for 9 a.m. Monday in the U.S. District Court in Richmond before Judge Henry E. Hudson. Meanwhile, court records show a sealed order signed by Hudson was issued in the case Friday, which might or might not be related to Taylor's plea.

The plea hearing could mean that Taylor, who pleaded not guilty to the charges Thursday, has agreed to cooperate with federal prosecutors. Vick and the two other co-defendants in his case also pleaded not guilty Thursday.

"This could be very bad news for Vick," said Steven D. Benjamin, a veteran criminal defense attorney from Richmond who has represented many clients before Hudson. "If he is pleading guilty, he is cooperating with the government."

Taylor could get a lighter sentence through a plea deal.

"Whoever is the first in line gets the best deal," said Michael Morchower, a former federal prosecutor and now a Richmond criminal defense attorney who has also represented defendants before Hudson.

"That's the problem with co-defendants. They are going to want to save themselves. And the government wants cooperation. And the person who cooperates first gets the biggest reward."

Taylor's attorney could not be reached for comment Friday night. And a spokesman for Vick did not respond to a telephone call for comment. Federal prosecutors have declined to discuss the case.

At Taylor and Vick's arraignment Thursday, federal prosecutors announced they would seek a "superceding" indictment in the case before the end of August, which could mean additional charges and defendants.

A federal grand jury this month indicted Vick and Taylor and their two co-defendants -- Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips -- on a single count of conspiracy relating to dogfighting.

They face up to five years in prison and $250,000 in fines if convicted on the charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities. If convicted of another alleged offense -- conspiring to sponsor a dog in an animal-fighting venture -- they could face up to one year in prison and $100,000 in fines.

The indictment says Vick and the others set up a business called "Bad Newz Kennels" to raise and train pit bulls for fighting. They staged the fights, according to federal prosecutors, in Smithfield, Va., on property Vick bought in 2001 after Taylor identified the site as a suitable location for their activities. Prosecutors say Vick and his friends crossed state lines to participate in dogfights in several other states.

For their case, prosecutors are relying on four unnamed cooperating witnesses mentioned in the indictment. Vick's name also is mentioned repeatedly in the document. For example, the indictment says Vick, Peace and Phillips executed approximately eight dogs they determined not to be good fighters by hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground. Taylor executed at least two dogs by shooting one and electrocuting the other in 2002, the indictment says.

The indictment also says Vick and the others bet on the dogfights. And it details how Vick retrieved a book bag containing $23,000 in cash at one point to pay a winning opponent.

The case stems from a drug investigation involving Vick's cousin -- Davon Boddie -- on Vick's rural property in Surry County, Va. Boddie listed the property as his address after being arrested on a drug charge in April.

After they investigated the property, authorities said they found kennels, treadmills, a "rape stand" used to restrain aggressive female dogs during breeding, and 54 pit bulls, some with scars and injuries officials said are consistent with dog fighting.

During an interview in April, Vick blamed family for the mistreated dogs but has declined comment since then.

But his attorney read a statement after the arraignment Thursday, proclaiming his innocence.

"Today you all either heard or saw Michael take the first step toward proving his innocence," his attorney Billy Martin said Thursday. "We intend to prove Mike's innocence at trial. We are conducting our own investigation. ... And we look forward to the opportunity to being able to walk inside this courtroom and saying to the world that Michael Vick is innocent."

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's done!! Bye-bye forever animal abuser. You now when he goes to prison, solitary shouldn't be him alone in a small hole, it should be him stuck in that small hole with a pitbull trained to kill.

The "everbody stay cool and I'll hook everybody up when this is over" strategy has now crumbled, and when the Falcs cut him before the season starts.....the ability to "hook'em up" will be long gone. He's going to end up a "has been" and a convicted felon.....and that is all most will remember about him.

The "everbody stay cool and I'll hook everybody up when this is over" strategy has now crumbled, and when the Falcs cut him before the season starts.....the ability to "hook'em up" will be long gone. He's going to end up a "has been" and a convicted felon.....and that is all most will remember about him.

That or a Raider!! :D:D

He's done!! Bye-bye forever animal abuser. You now when he goes to prison, solitary shouldn't be him alone in a small hole, it should be him stuck in that small hole with a pitbull trained to kill.

A pitbull on steroids, sort of like Barry Bonds, couldn't catch him.

No worries for you and Bronc....he will need some pen pals once he's behind bars. That way you two can hang off his sack in a literary sense.

I didn't know he was proven guilty. I missed that part.

That will be some time in December unless he just admits to what he did and takes responsibility for his actions.

Nice jab However, in solitary it could as Vick would have no room to run. Lunchtime!! And if the dog doesn't completely take care of him we could always resort to other means like smashing his head against the ground or something like that.

Vick's word means almost absolutely nothing right now. When you tell your owner and coach that you have nothing to do with it and your fans take so much crap for defending you and then you hear news like this that almost gurantees he's done something, as Vick's head seems to be the only one that matters and it makes no sense they would accept a plea if he couldn't help the case against him. :D

Vick's word means almost absolutely nothing right now. When you tell your owner and coach that you have nothing to do with it and your fans take so much crap for defending you and then you hear news like this that almost gurantees he's done something, as Vick's head seems to be the only one that matters and it makes no sense they would accept a plea if he couldn't help the case against him. :D

Yes, and as I said back in early June-somebody knows all, and will roll-over on Vick. Vick is the $$ behind this whole thing and he is in a world of trouble on a federal level.

Guys-

Let's not fool ourselves by thinking Vick is going to do any extended jail time on this. He won't. IMO the worst case scenario for Vick is that he does 6 months. He won't do any more time than that and I don't think he will even do 6 months. In time, he will "roll" on others and minimze his punishment.

Yes, and as I said back in early June-somebody knows all, and will roll-over on Vick. Vick is the $$ behind this whole thing and he is in a world :smash:of trouble on a federal level.

What else would he have been? I'm not sure I'd call you a genious yet.

Yes I know it's spelled wrong.

Guys-

Let's not fool ourselves by thinking Vick is going to do any extended jail time on this. He won't. IMO the worst case scenario for Vick is that he does 6 months. He won't do any more time than that and I don't think he will even do 6 months. In time, he will "roll" on others and minimze his punishment.

Completely disagree, they will want Vick to expose any other NFL players possibly involved with sub-culture of dog-fighting, but the first to squeal gets the best deal from the feds and that has already happened and he will plead "guilty" on Monday and Vicks hole will get deeper. You sir, I'm afraid are the one who's kidding himself.

What else would he have been? I'm not sure I'd call you a genious yet.

Yes I know it's spelled wrong.

No genious my young fella, just enough common sense to know that when it went from local/state to federal jurisdiction that someone would squeal-it's how the Feds work.....turn up the heat....show'em how much time and $$ they are looking at and they will start to sing loud and proud.

Who is Vick going to roll on? Some wannabes that accepted his money and did not report to IRS? Which by the way will probably show as structuring funds on his own end. Isn't it his property and money? Unless there were some persons of interest participating in the butchery :D

Vick is obviously the one they want the worst since he's not only at the top of the food chain, he's a perfect head to hang outside the castle. It'll be a resume builder bor the prosecution and has all the political and social tangents to it as well.

And Vick cannot roll on his co-defendents. He just cannot. He has to maintain his innocence and take the fall how ever deep it is. In his mind, rolling over would be the worse thing he can do since it strips him of all his "rep" and identity. He's taken a stand from which he cannot and will not waiver. Besides, the prosecution doesn't want him to roll. They want every one else to isolate Vick until Vick is so guilty and all alone that the case is a slam dunk. Think of it this way, what are the implications of Tony Taylor going to trial and being found guilty? Nothing. He is a nobody that will be forgotten tomorrow. Michael Vick's conviction serves so many purposes in legal and social terms that it is downright scary for him. I'm sure his high-priced attorneys will make a game of it, but in the end Vick is not only on a sinking ship, he is lashed to the steering wheel.

Completely disagree, they will want Vick to expose any other NFL players possibly involved with sub-culture of dog-fighting, but the first to squeal gets the best deal from the feds and that has already happened and he will plead "guilty" on Monday and Vicks hole will get deeper. You sir, I'm afraid are the one who's kidding himself.

Agree with you PD.

Vick is obviously the one they want the worst since he's not only at the top of the food chain, he's a perfect head to hang outside the castle. It'll be a resume builder bor the prosecution and has all the political and social tangents to it as well.

And Vick cannot roll on his co-defendents. He just cannot. He has to maintain his innocence and take the fall how ever deep it is. In his mind, rolling over would be the worse thing he can do since it strips him of all his "rep" and identity. He's taken a stand from which he cannot and will not waiver. Besides, the prosecution doesn't want him to roll. They want every one else to isolate Vick until Vick is so guilty and all alone that the case is a slam dunk. Think of it this way, what are the implications of Tony Taylor going to trial and being found guilty? Nothing. He is a nobody that will be forgotten tomorrow. Michael Vick's conviction serves so many purposes in legal and social terms that it is downright scary for him. I'm sure his high-priced attorneys will make a game of it, but in the end Vick is not only on a sinking ship, he is lashed to the steering wheel.

Well said DMD. Vick is going down and going down hard. Jail time is in the cards.

I'm not saying Vick is innocent or guilty but I wish everyone would let the legal system play itself out. This guy has been sent to the electric chair before his trial date. Personally, I doubt Vick is the ring leader of this dog fiasko and is not as hands on as the charges. I really think he's just the big name going down for everyone's actions. I could be very wrong but let's just wait and see. I know this country treates dogs better than humans in many ways but give me a break. It's not like he's a terrorist or mass murderer.....it's dog fighting. The same society that is outraged by this loves to watch boxers and ultimate fighters beat the pulp out of each other. There are much BIGGER problems in the world today. Didn't the Kobe and Duke Lacrosse player incidents teach us anything?

I'm not saying Vick is innocent or guilty but I wish everyone would let the legal system play itself out. This guy has been sent to the electric chair before his trial date. Personally, I doubt Vick is the ring leader of this dog fiasko and is not as hands on as the charges. I really think he's just the big name going down for everyone's actions. I could be very wrong but let's just wait and see. I know this country treates dogs better than humans in many ways but give me a break. It's not like he's a terrorist or mass murderer.....it's dog fighting. The same society that is outraged by this loves to watch boxers and ultimate fighters beat the pulp out of each other. There are much BIGGER problems in the world today. Didn't the Kobe and Duke Lacrosse player incidents teach us anything?

You have one major flaw with your argument and that is you are assuming animals have the same intelligence as humans. When boxers and ultimate fighters get in the ring it 's because they make a conscious choice to do so. By possessing higher intellect they can do that. Animals don't have the same intelligence as humans and therefore can't make the same choices we can. They are governed by their instincts. I personally don't watch boxing or ultimate fighting but if 2 grown men want to beat themselves up for money - more power to them. Dogs can't make that choice.

Also, the "let legal system play itself out" argument is the last gasp of someone who can't believe the truth. I'm willing to go with the odds on this one - and the odds say the feds win 99% of the time. Is it because they are lucky or because they are really good at what they do?

You can't compare the Kobe or Duke incidents because the accusers were NOT the Federal Government. Their stories had more holes in it than swiss cheese. I can't see any holes in the Vick indictment, can you?

Edited by tosberg34

Yes, and as I said back in early June-somebody knows all, and will roll-over on Vick.

Yep, and I didn't think it would happen. Looks like I was wrong.

Still, you have to consider the credibility of this guy and the witnesses who have agreed to testify. IIRC, at least a couple of them have criminal records (and I'm not talking about speeding tickets). I don't see Vick doing the maximum five years - I think that he beats one or two of the charges and gets off with maybe 6 months in a minimum-security joint. And I wouldn't completely rule out a potential return to the NFL in a couple of years as a backup. The Raiders, Ravens, and Bengals have a history of providing a safe haven for criminals. :D

But, yeah, Vick's absolutely toast in Atlanta. They'll probably wait until the "guilty" verdict to release him, but I'd be shocked if Blank and McKay didn't petition Goodell to recoup the cap hit.

Edited by Bill Swerski

The credibility of these 'witnesses' aren't at all reliable if they can't in some way connect Vick to it all using more than just their word. We're talking about the 'word' of a group of ex-cons who were the most hands-on in all of this, ie. the guys who did the electrocuting, drowning, slamming of dogs to the ground, etc. etc. Like I would ever believe anything that came out of their mouths...

They will be saying whatever they think they have to just to get their own sentences reduced. I don't know about the level of Vick's involvement in all of this, but these guys shouldn't be offered a sentence reduction unless they can provide some concrete evidence against Vick (ie. something other than the crap that comes out of their mouths). Even then I wouldn't offer them much leeway. They should get the book thrown at them one-way-or-another.

Edited by Crazysight