[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Timers - what do you do on the wraparound

Duchess Jack

we've a guy who neve makes his pick with urgency.... not once.

he won't preselect.

he has not put down a number to reach him

we've a 12 hour limit on picks... but he is at the 16th spot and gets the wraparound

do I really have to give this cat 24 hours to make a pick?

he won't preselect.

we've a 12 hour limit on picks... but he is at the 16th spot and gets the wraparound

Unfortunately, yes if the rules are set up that way. Can't email him or put up a message on the board?

I despise the slow draft..I know it is the best way to do things when you have a big group thats usually spread all around the country with different schedules but I just cant stand it..Id say DJ you can try and ask this guy to be reasonable and make his 2nd pick at the wraparound with his first or very soon after but if he doesnt then Technically he isnt doing anything wrong

the issue is that his 12 window passed for this first pick

by our rules, you are skipped until you can contact the commish. then you can put your skipped pick in - but there'll certainly be players off the board...

in the case of a wrap around.... there is no chance of losing players if he is skipped. He can wait 24 hours and get both picks.

damnable rules.

next year, I am reducing the pick time and rather than skipping an owner - I will give them the best of an agreed upon board.

every pick after being skipped has a one hour window. once an owner gets his pick in he again he'll again have the normal window.

You guys need to remember how inconsiderate he is and then dump his ass next year. Further more, tell him that after this season is over you are going to dump his ass because of his inattention to the league. Maybe he'll do you all a favor and drop out so that you can find an owner who gives a rip. Or maybe I just haven't had enough caffeine this morning... makes me grumpy. :D

You guys need to remember how inconsiderate he is and then dump his ass next year. Further more, tell him that after this season is over you are going to dump his ass because of his inattention to the league. Maybe he'll do you all a favor and drop out so that you can find an owner who gives a rip. Or maybe I just haven't had enough caffeine this morning... makes me grumpy. :D

good info here

we've two people that have been issues.... its a work league... I posted this a couple days ago

Dear Generic Luke Warm Owners...

We've a 12 hour window to draft.

But we also have 16 people looking to push through this.

Some people might say - screw the 1-15 minute investment - and wait two+ hours - which invests 15 people in two+ hours, if they are counting on you to be into this.

If you happen to be that guy - where this is marginally better than the line that separates cool from a chore - then what's the harm in pre-drafting. Die hard people are going to sit in front of the computer, watch things unfold and foam at the mouth while waiting to get their pick in. If you are not that guy, predraft. Look at your list and put in 20 people. Put in 10 you don't think will be there. That way, if something crazy happens, you are covered. You will get the best on the board. It's the same thing that goes on when you pick - except you go through the thought process hours before hand and save everyone a lot of frustration. If you do not have time to do it after you pick, wait until you have time. Carry a list around with you. When you figure things out, make it a point to take the five minutes to submit the preselect(s). The investment of five minutes and a little enthusiasm will save hours for everyone else.

If it's important, invest 5 minutes

If it's not important, preselect.

Heck, if it's important preselect - because it is the same dang thing.

If you can't take your eyes from the screen, I feel you brother.

The 12 hours is there because sometimes people have a lot of things going on. If you aren't going to check in regularly, and if you are not going to carry a list with you and make your self available by cell phone - than you are obligated for the fun of everyone having a kick ass time to put in a preselect.

Sometimes you will be unable to be contacted and put in preselects and all your preselects will get taken. That's a good example when the 12 hour window is helpful.

Remember, we all have pockets and cell phones. It's 2007. Everyone can be reached. Check in or allow people to check in to you. If you don't want to do that - put in a preselect.

If you can't pick, can't be contacted and don't want to put in a preselect - please let us know when you expect to be able to pick on the message board so we can tend things in our life more important than watching a computer screen.

Rabid involvement, Five minutes or a preselect.

Remember - we have 15 other people hoping that you are stoked to do this. Running something like this is often a thankless job - and I have the unfortunate responsibility to be the dick. My apologies.

This is a good question and it does come up in leagues that I play in.

In the IBL, we have a 12 hour time limit. We changed the rule so that the 12 hour limit includes both picks at the turn. If you miss the first pick, the next pick will also expire.

Edited by MikesVikes

I'm always on the smaller side of this argument. I typically DON'T like preselects, unless I have the time to tweak them along the way to better fit my existing team. As an owner, if a limit is set, it should be honored by everyone else and NOT become the in-draft focus of someone's ire because they're too impatient to play by the rules.

Look at the silver lining: he does this all at once, every other round. So you get a day off every two rounds. It's not even August! :D

I'm always on the smaller side of this argument. I typically DON'T like preselects, unless I have the time to tweak them along the way to better fit my existing team. As an owner, if a limit is set, it should be honored by everyone else and NOT become the in-draft focus of someone's ire because they're too impatient to play by the rules.

Look at the silver lining: he does this all at once, every other round. So you get a day off every two rounds. It's not even August! :D

Typically Pope response. Siding with the underdog in the argument. :D

We started early because we thought this was going to be a live draft (and our manufacturing schedule made this the only time), but it just wasn't going to work out so we went online. By then - everyone was too gung-ho.

I see the 12 hour limit thing as something for emergencies.

Agree with this. If the majority doesn't like the time limit, vote and change it.

Edited by Chief Dick

Typically Pope response. Siding with the underdog in the argument. :D

Serious question, wanting an honest answer: if you're part of a voting majority that agrees to set an X hour limit then how can you complain over someone using that time?

Serious question, wanting an honest answer: if you're part of a voting majority that agrees to set an X hour limit then how can you complain over someone using that time?

Well, this is the forum Irish uses to attempt to be funny. :D

Or sooner. Tell him shape up or I'm willing to take over his team. :D

It understood that owners should be doing their best to pick. Sometimes, life throws us a curve ball. That is why the 12 hour limit is there.

It is something to be nice. Abusing it is not nice.

I'm kind of in the middle on this. I don't like pre-selecting two rounds in advance, but it does piss me off when someone has 3.11 and 4.2 in a serpentine draft and doesn't preselect 4.2 when making pick 3.11.

Yeah if they come back and do it in 2-3 hours I can live with it. The drfat should be the most anticipated time of the year imo. It's your team.

How can you not want to pick players? When people can't check in after 2-3 hours(after picking one player) they seem like jerks to me.

I know this is annoying, but I absolutely hate predrafting. For all you know, this guy is spending his time crunching stats, consulting fantasy sharks, and reading up on the most current info there is. I know, it's more likely that he just doesn't care about the time he is wasting for the rest of you. But he isn't breaking any rules.

I do like the idea of making the wraparound a single timer. That way, if the guy hits 12 hours, he loses both picks.

What is the exact wording of the rule? Once the window has passed, is the pick skipped, or the owner? If he is absent for his first pick, then obviously he is absent for the second. Clarify the rule and enforce it.

he won't preselect.

Tell Elvis to put down the damned PBR and make his damned pick...

...unless he already finished the case. Then he'll need the 24 hours to sleep it off & then be coherent enough to log in to a computer.

:D

Seriously?

A 12 hour time limit is established for when life's other priorities happen to step in. Someone is called to a 4 hour meeting or out to the field for 6 hours. The school called & your kid puked all over themselves. Etc. No one is saying that FF should be the single most important driving force in your life, but if you're going to get into a league, make a meaningful effort to be a good owner.

If there isn't an emergency or a prevailing item creating a conflict, owners shouldn't take hours to make a pick. Any owner playing FF seriously should be champing at the bit to have their draft pick come up. That means they are doing research before the pick comes up on 3-6 players who might be available when the pick does arrive. Or they are talking trades with other owners before the pick arrives - other owners already know who they might be looking for if they want that pick if they are talking trade.

It's just common courtesy. You don't wait until your pick has been up for an hour already and then post at the message board that you want to trade the pick away and will be taking offers for the next 6 hours. You don't check the site, see that you have been up for 2 hours, and then decide to start doing research on 6 different players who you are interested in there - or even worse, post for advice on a FF Asst. coach board.

If you're the type of guy who could take or leave FF and just are playing for a distraction from life or to keep from being bored at work, and therefore it takes you 6 hours just to check the draft board to see if you are up or not, I don't want you in my league - you aren't interested or competitive enough to make your contribution to the league meaningful, or even worse unwittingly tip the balance of power in the league.

And if work or something else in life gets in the way, just post a message for the rest of the league that you know you'll be away for X hours & plan on taking 1/2 an hour to catch up when you get back in. That way everyone knows the draft will be stalled X hours & won't be checking in regularly to see if you've picked yet. I don't know anyone who has a problem with waiting if they know they're waiting for a good reason and how long the wait will probably be rather than waiting with no information on an owner who could either care less about their team and/or the rest of the owners in the league.

The 12 hour limit is a courtesy. And courtesy goes both ways.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Seriously?

>edit<

The 12 hour limit is a courtesy. And courtesy goes both ways.

Reasonable. But it's also reasonable to say that if the clock is being set to 12 hours, as opposed to an online standard -from my own experience- of 4, implies that there is no real urgency to this draft at the moment. Again, you wrote a semi-diatribe about courtesy but it isn't even August. Are you people really THAT impatient? Heck, say he drags the draft out by two or three days and as a result some guy is hurt in TC and isn't drafted as a result.

Rules are meant to be used. If he wants to prolong his pick to see another day of camp because he's one of those guys who believes that the draft is starting too early for him, but he's been given the tool of 12 hours.

I don't see how it is either discourteous or abusive to follow the rules as written. If this is the worst he does, that's far better than an owner who averages 30 minutes a pick but tries something squirrely with a waiver move or lineup issue during the season. Those are the types of players to get riled over. Not some guy who prefers to take his time.

Quick question too - with a 12 hour clock is it ever suspended, or does it tick away throughout the night?

Reasonable. But it's also reasonable to say that if the clock is being set to 12 hours, as opposed to an online standard -from my own experience- of 4, implies that there is no real urgency to this draft at the moment. Again, you wrote a semi-diatribe about courtesy but it isn't even August. Are you people really THAT impatient? Heck, say he drags the draft out by two or three days and as a result some guy is hurt in TC and isn't drafted as a result.

Rules are meant to be used. If he wants to prolong his pick to see another day of camp because he's one of those guys who believes that the draft is starting too early for him, but he's been given the tool of 12 hours.

I don't see how it is either discourteous or abusive to follow the rules as written. If this is the worst he does, that's far better than an owner who averages 30 minutes a pick but tries something squirrely with a waiver move or lineup issue during the season. Those are the types of players to get riled over. Not some guy who prefers to take his time.

Then we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I couldn't disagree with you more.

If you're worried about guys getting hurt in TC, make your draft a live draft on a week night before the first regular season game of the year. There's still no guarantee that one of your players won't get hurt in week 1. If your league wants to draft in the first week of August but you keep delaying the draft because you are waiting for every minute of information before you make your pick, you've obviously put yourself above the rest of the league - go find a different league that drafts later. There are a few more leagues out there, you know?

Yes, people can be impatient to draft and can do so with very good reason. People are passionate about FF. It's a great hobby. Look at the numbers of people who play and all the different formats for playing. With all those people out there playing, surely someone who could care less about drafting within a 12 hour time limit can find 9 to 11 other owners who could care less about a fast paced draft also. So link up with them & have yourselves a 5 week draft. Nobody's denying you that privledge.

But if you're going to play in leagues with others, you need to learn to play nice, that it's not all about you, that you need to make some compromises, and if the rest of the league would like a faster paced draft that you should do what you can to accomodate the league, or you should respectfully asked to have the league find a replacement for you.

Just because something is within the rules doesn't mean it's right to do. Again, courtesy goes a long way in making for a fun, competitive league that will last for years.