[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mangini Punishing Kendall?

Vet

Reports from Jets camp are that disgruntalled OG Pete Kendall was assigned to the rookie dorm. The Jets say it was due to an "administrative error", but that's hard to believe. Kendall has been very vocal about wanting a raise or wanting to be traded. So, I the speculation is that the organization is punishing him. Rumor is that they are going to have him live in the rookie dorm, work him like a dog through camp, give him limited playing time, then cut him in the final week of pre-season. On the FAN they're saying that the Dolphins want him so the Jets don't want to cut him now and let a division rival pick him up so they are going to wait as long as possible before cutting him.

Part of me says, "Good for them." The guy signed a contract, he agreed to a certain amount of money over a certain period of time so he should shut up and play. But another part of me says the organization and coaching staff is risking losing the respect of some of the other players if they are really treating Kendall like a second class citizen in camp.

I especially think this is a risk because it is not unusual for a team to take a step backwards in the second year of a new coaching regime after overachieving in year one. Oftentimes it's year three that a team really takes that "next step". I can easily see the team in the 6-10 to 8-8 range this year given a tougher division and a much tougher out-of-division schedule. If the Jets do indeed have a mediocre year AND they're treating certain players badly, does the coaching staff risk losing the respect of the rest of the team?

Kendall got run out of Seattle by Mike Holmgren. He got run out of Phoenix by Denny Green when he filed a grievance against the Cards for contact drills in the off-season. Now he's getting run out of New York. Kendall used to have a radio show here in Seattle when he was here. He's very intelligent and very personable, but these run-ins with his coaches seem to indicate he's not much of a team player. I hope he's not blackballed by the league for this kind of stuff, because at some point he's going to be a great color commentator.

Kendall got run out of Seattle by Mike Holmgren. He got run out of Phoenix by Denny Green when he filed a grievance against the Cards for contact drills in the off-season. Now he's getting run out of New York. Kendall used to have a radio show here in Seattle when he was here. He's very intelligent and very personable, but these run-ins with his coaches seem to indicate he's not much of a team player. I hope he's not blackballed by the league for this kind of stuff, because at some point he's going to be a great color commentator.

Agreed. This guy appears to have a problem getting along.

While the Jets were playing in pads yesterday, Kendall was on the bike, without pads. Seems to me they are looking to keep him healthy while they look for a team to dump him on. The good news is that Adrian Clarke has looked very good at LG so far in camp. Bender is battling Clement at RT.... so my doom and gloom predictions for the O line may have been a chicken little incident. I'm going back to training camp tomorrow (was there yesterday) and will write a report on my observations probably Thursady morning, if interested. Some interesting developments on the IDP front, but one practice does not mean it's set in stone, obviously. One tip.... Chansi Stuckey looks like a S moss but without the magnet for the sidelines... sleeper alert. I can see him as Coles' replacement in a couple of years...