[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction Style

Roo

I hate to bring up a topic/debate that's probably been hashed over many times, but my league is starting to rally some support to move from snake/redraft style to auction style FF.

We don't want to mess with what has been great fun over the past several seasons, but at the same time I've heard auction is more "big time" and "strategic" and "balanced."

I can see some obvious pros and cons, but was hoping to gather Huddler feedback to help us make a call on this.

What did I need to be wary of with auction style?

Better than standard snake?

(pointing me to an older thread is fine too - I ran a search but didn't find much)

Edited by Roo

I fought vehemently at a preseason owners' meeting against switching to auction format. I got out-voted and almost dropped out of the league. That was six years ago. Once you've had an auction, you don't go back. You can control your own destiny. Any player is within reach. Give it a shot.

I fought vehemently at a preseason owners' meeting against switching to auction format. I got out-voted and almost dropped out of the league. That was six years ago. Once you've had an auction, you don't go back. You can control your own destiny. Any player is within reach. Give it a shot.

I've seen these words time and again at The Huddle and they never lose their strength for me. Beware of this: you and your fellow owners will have a blast. If this is a con to you, then don't do the auction.

Switching to an auction is a no-brainer. I still like to have one league that uses a draft just to change things up a bit, but auction is king.

A couple pf tips, however. Get someone who is not in the league to be the auctioneer. It's not easy for an owner - who is bidding on players - to handle this task. Also, stop after every 12 players have been nominated and won and make sure the commish and owners are on the same page with remaining funds.

Edited by The Wolf

You can buy every player you want until your money runs out. Then you can sit around drinking beer and making fun of everyone else's teams.

You don't know what "con" means, do you (hint: it has nothing to do w/Star Trek)

If you play in a local league with people in attendance and all owners are fairly well versed in fantasy football, then auctions are always more fun. They are even fun online but in person there is no comparison IMO versus a draft. An auction involves everyone on every player and it just way more entertaining.

If you play in a local league with people in attendance and all owners are fairly well versed in fantasy football, then auctions are always more fun. They are even fun online but in person there is no comparison IMO versus a draft. An auction involves everyone on every player and it just way more entertaining.

Having done auctions in person and "live" over the phone, yep there is no comparison. Have done "live" auctions over the phone and it's kinda like expecting a great steak and ending up with a burger.