[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Follow the Run on Qbs

FFGuru

The league I am in is going into its 3rd year now. For whatever reason guys in my league over value qbs. The top 6 qbs have been taken off the board by middle second to middle 3rd round. My question is do I jump on the train and follow the run or do I stick to my strategy by scooping up the rb's and wr's. I sutck to my strategy last year and got stuck with Culpepper and Favre as my back up who ended up being my starter. I somehow managed to make it to the playoffs and win my league altough the backs I ended up with I was not happy with. T. Barber round 1, Holt round 2, Mcgahee round 3.

Follow the run or Thank them for leaving me a healthy choice of backs and wrs....thanks guys

You never want to be on the back end of runs. So keep snagging up all the RBs and WRs and then grab your QB later but make sure you still get a decent one.

What is the scoring? Quarterbacks often go too early but unless they are really more valuable than any other position and they decline quickly in value, then let them take the QBs and know you got a better RB or WR because of it.

I went deep last year, too deep. Someone grabbed their second (Kitna) as I was about to take him. I ended up with Simms, Plummer and Carr. Lesson learned: no matter how confident you are, NEVER allow yourself to be cornered into thaking the 11th starting QB. Draw the line earlier.

Well, if your league starts 2 QBs or has a flex where you can play a QB, its understandable. But probably not. I play in a similar league. I thank them and move on, although frustratingly, I always seem to pick the stud-to-dud or injury disappointments in that league.

Well, if your league starts 2 QBs or has a flex where you can play a QB, its understandable. But probably not. I play in a similar league. I thank them and move on, although frustratingly, I always seem to pick the stud-to-dud or injury disappointments in that league.

exactly...even if all TD's are 6 points...

you draft by how much of a dropoff there is at a certain position....not by how many points the position gets...

I undervalued QB's in most of my leagues last year. My local? Rivers and McNair....Primetime was Delhomme and Vick, Outraged was Bledsoe, and Pennington and Ben R.....it was brutal. You gotta hop in if you know the trend of your league.

I've been in a league like that for the past two years. First year, thought I had the money in my pocket as I walked out of there, but such brilliant picks as Kevin Jones and Dom Davis pretty much kept me in the cellar. Last year, my team went to the Super Bowl, but I had to platoon Vick and Favre all year. And you know what? I hated that team, Super Bowl or no. I absolutely hated having to decide which sucky QB to start each week, especially in the playoffs.

Some guys may be good at platooning QBs. I hate platooning QBs. This year, I'm gonna take one of my top 7 or 8 QBs in that league, even if it means drafting one in the second round. I figure my chances are better at out-drafting them in the middle rounds than dooming my QB position to inconsistent mediocrity by waiting too long.

I've been in a league like that for the past two years. First year, thought I had the money in my pocket as I walked out of there, but such brilliant picks as Kevin Jones and Dom Davis pretty much kept me in the cellar. Last year, my team went to the Super Bowl, but I had to platoon Vick and Favre all year. And you know what? I hated that team, Super Bowl or no. I absolutely hated having to decide which sucky QB to start each week, especially in the playoffs.

Some guys may be good at platooning QBs. I hate platooning QBs. This year, I'm gonna take one of my top 7 or 8 QBs in that league, even if it means drafting one in the second round. I figure my chances are better at out-drafting them in the middle rounds than dooming my QB position to inconsistent mediocrity by waiting too long.

+1 on no platooning QB's.....

I usually try to package one QB with another player to a team that has 2 quality QB's...

doesn't always work...but yeah..

+1 on no platooning QB's.....

I usually try to package one QB with another player to a team that has 2 quality QB's...

doesn't always work...but yeah..

I am on the flip side of the coin on this issue. I believe in waiting til late and platooning 2 or 3 QB's all year.in the meantime you can grab up RB's and WR's and have great depth there. I have seen it many times during the season where a guy traded his 4th RB drafted for a good fantasy QB later in the year...and sometimes something else thrown in too.

I am on the flip side of the coin on this issue. I believe in waiting til late and platooning 2 or 3 QB's all year.in the meantime you can grab up RB's and WR's and have great depth there. I have seen it many times during the season where a guy traded his 4th RB drafted for a good fantasy QB later in the year...and sometimes something else thrown in too.

exactly....I can't recall when I last took a QB early...

if Manning was there in the 3rd....I'd have no problem with this..

exactly....I can't recall when I last took a QB early...

if Manning was there in the 3rd....I'd have no problem with this..

Last year was the 1st time I had taken a QB higher than the 6th round(well in the last 7 years anyways).for some reason he fell to the 5th rd in 1 of my locals and I decided to grab him up.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Last year was the 1st time I had taken a QB higher than the 6th round(well in the last 7 years anyways).for some reason he fell to the 5th rd in 1 of my locals and I decided to grab him up.

Manning in the 5th is ridiculous...

last year someone drafted Bulger and Brady both within the 1st 5 rounds...

he completely messed up my draft....and it's not like he had a strategy...he took these 2 because they seemed like good decisions...

Manning in the 5th is ridiculous...

last year someone drafted Bulger and Brady both within the 1st 5 rounds...

he completely messed up my draft....and it's not like he had a strategy...he took these 2 because they seemed like good decisions...

:D

Yeah..both of those guys were gone already before McNabb. sometimes locals can be a funny thing.

It's always about knowing the league and the people in it. I usually wait out the run and stock up on other positions, in this case RB and WR but it may afford you an opportunity to snag a difference maker like Gates. That being said, you still have to build you team with solid starters so you can't wait as long as you might for that QB. Think about round 5/6 knowing that what you're taking is still probably overvalued at that point, but you can't wait to end up with Harrington.

Think about round 5/6 knowing that what you're taking is still probably overvalued at that point, but you can't wait to end up with Harrington.

No, but I could deal with a Pennington,Delhomme and a Grossman.Rotating those 3 I bet I could come close to what Manning gets this year.

i don't know about anyone else, but this year seems to be the thinnest one i can remember for quality QBs. once you get past the big 5, which i believe are manning, palmer, brees, brady and bulger (who barely makes it), the pickings get pretty slim. i have no real confidence in any QB after that point. kitna seems safe, but his INTs are very high and he is not consistent. mcnabb is a big injury question mark. romo, young, leinart and rivers are all interesting picks, but also very young and are clearly a level below the top 5. going out from there you find the guys who have been around awhile are are not likely to have any upside surprise: hasselbeck, favre, delhomme, manning, etc. past these guys and you are pretty much rolling the dice.

i'm going to be watching the QB spot very closely this year and will do my best to get one of the top guys. i doubt most owners will have the luxury of grabbing one of these guys in the 5th round.