[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Training Camp Notes

Savage Beatings

Vikings Training Camp Notes from 7/30/07

Here are just a few snippets that stood out to me... there is more if you visit the link:

- Adrian Peterson hung out next to Sidney Rice before practice. When practice began, Peterson lined up with the first team offense, sans Chester Taylor. AP and Chester rotated in and out with the first team, but were never on the field at the same time.

- Team installs began around 9:20. The offense installed a screen pass to Adrian Peterson. Expect Peterson to be a significant factor in the short passing game, especially judging by how many times he was thrown to in his first practice.

- During QB-WR passing drills, Troy Williamson had a ball sail right through his hands on an out-route near the sideline. However, he came right back with a nice, falling catch on the very next rep (all hands). Later, Williamson wowed the crowd with a lunging grab in traffic on a slant route during 11-on-11 practice.

- Aundrae Allison is so smooth. He makes every movement look so easy, and I haven't seen him drop a pass yet. Sidney Rice too. These guys move around effortlessly, and they catch everything.

- Top three WRs at this stage in camp: 1. Sidney Rice, 2. Bobby Wade, 3. Aundrae Allison.

- Aundrae Allison took a rep with the first team offense. Could this be foreshadowing?

- Tarvaris Jackson threw deep for Sidney Rice, but the ball sailed long. Note two things from this play: 1) Tarvaris Jackson struggles with the deep ball. He overthrows WRs even when they've created separation. 2) Marcus McCauley had Sidney Rice covered like a blanket. Even if Jackson put the ball right on the money, McCauley had the play covered. In fact, McCauley has covered everyone like a blanket for four days.

- Tarvaris Jackson threw deep for Sidney Rice, but the ball sailed long. Note two things from this play: 1) Tarvaris Jackson struggles with the deep ball. He overthrows WRs even when they've created separation.

At least he over throws the and not underthrows like the previous qb's. I read he is dead on accurate 20 yards and under which the WCO is based on. They scrimmaged this morning and the defense killed the offense. EJ got a sack. McCauley intercepted and returned it for a TD. Jackson needs alot of work when it comes to reading defenses. They were giving him all kinds of different looks.

:D OK, this cracked me up... Brad Childress being asked about Todd Lowber (the phenom athlete turned Viking WR who has never played organized football in his life):

Q: What has Todd Lowber shown you so far as a football player?

A: He has shown that he hasn't played much football, and I think it probably qualifies if that's the first time that he has had shoulder pads on. That would qualify as not much football, but he is a wonderful athlete. He's a little bit like Forrest Gump now, and sometimes we kid him about that. It's like, run, Todd, run. He can run and run and run and run and run and run, and yet had a pretty good hand-eye. You don't play basketball and play in the pivot and play in the post and not be able to have good hand-eye coordination. The thing that he has not exposed to is the pounding, and I'm talking about the physical pounding on your legs with equipment, and then obviously the hits that go along with that. He has shown some potential, and he is just continuing to grow. A lot of the things he is experiencing for the very first time ever.

- Aundrae Allison is so smooth. He makes every movement look so easy, and I haven't seen him drop a pass yet. Sidney Rice too. These guys move around effortlessly, and they catch everything.

- Top three WRs at this stage in camp: 1. Sidney Rice, 2. Bobby Wade, 3. Aundrae Allison.

- Aundrae Allison took a rep with the first team offense. Could this be foreshadowing?

Took a couple of late round flyers on this kid in dynasty leagues. I honestly think he has better potential than Rice.

More Vikings Training Camp Notes from 7/31/07:

- Despite having troubles with blitz pick-ups right now, Adrian Peterson is a natural when it comes to finding the hole and darting through. He's very smooth and very athletic.

- Peterson fumbled on the very next play. Coaches yelled, "Clean it up!" A couple plays later, Peterson dropped a pass in the flat. This is ugly.

- Tarvaris Jackson was wildly inaccurate, mostly because he was playing under heavy pressure. Even when he wasn't being pressured, he played as if pressure was coming.

- Tarvaris Jackson tried Troy Williamson deep down the right side, but Marcus McCauley ran stride for stride and knocked the ball away.

- Jackson tried Williamson again, this time on a slant, but the ball bounced off Williamson's chest, high in the air and rattled around a few defenders before falling incomplete.

- Marcus McCauley took an interception 40 yards to the house. On 3rd and 16, McCauley jumped in front of Bobby Wade on a pass thrown by Jackson, and he never stopped running.

Edited by Savage Beatings

I think that I see where Childress is headed with his play calling. Here is a snyopsis of his plays spoken in plain English...

Play 1. Run Adrian up the middle and have him run into the back of his right guard.

Play 2. Run Adrian up the middle and have him run into the back of his left guard.

Play 3. Have WIlliamson go deep and then have TJax throw it to the nearest defender's chest.

Play 4. Have another receiver run down the other side of the field, cut left and pass the ball to the right.

Play 5. Try Williamson deep again but this time T Jax will throw the ball into his hands but have him drop the ball.

Edited by MikesVikes

Well, to be fair, I think that the Vikings Defense is going to be an absolute monster this season. I'm hoping that they will keep most opponents from being able to run up the score, and then if we can just keep the ball on the ground for 90% of the time and hope that Adrian or Chester break out every once in a while... the Vikes could be a .500 team this year (maybe even on the brink of a playoff team).

Hopefully that breakout won't be in the shoulder area. :D

From the Strib blog;

Adrian Peterson took another big hit — an indication his collarbone is in good shape. This one came courtesy of safety Tank Williams after Peterson caught a pass from Bollinger.

I think that I see where Childress is headed with his play calling. Here is a snyopsis of his plays spoken in plain English...

Play 1. Run Adrian up the middle and have him run into the back of his right guard.

Play 2. Run Adrian up the middle and have him run into the back of his left guard.

Play 3. Have WIlliamson go deep and then have TJax throw it to the nearest defender's chest.

Play 4. Have another receiver run down the other side of the field, cut left and pass the ball to the right.

Play 5. Try Williamson deep again but this time T Jax will throw the ball into his hands but have him drop the ball.

Well, anything beats watching another season of Brad Johnson floundering around in the backfield like a lost donkey. The Vikes are young on offense, at least this year they have an excuse.

Unless the NFL has changed rules especially for the Vikings, their every fourth play this year will be "punt".

Vikings Training Camp Notes from 8/2/07:

- On the first play, Tarvaris Jackson and Bobby Wade mis-communicated on a pass route. Jackson threw the ball to no man's land, and Chad Greenway knocked him on his butt after flying through on a blitz.

- WR Chandler Williams is mixing in with the second team offense. Williams has had a nice training camp, catching some tough passes in traffic. His ability to return kicks may help him earn a roster spot.

- WR Martin Nance has also stood out. Nance does a fantastic job catching the ball with his hands, and he rarely drops a pass. He was a go-to guy all morning, especially for Brooks Bollinger.

- The crowd also appreciated a diving catch by Troy Williamson along the sideline.