[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santonio Holmes

mroban

Is Santonio Holmes a sleeper this year? I think he has major talent and came on strong at the end of last year. Seems like he is a player you can get in the mid to late rounds (or for not a huge price at auction) and could have a nice upside. Thoughts? What is his upside this season? 900 and 6 TDs? Or bigger?

Is Santonio Holmes a sleeper this year? I think he has major talent and came on strong at the end of last year. Seems like he is a player you can get in the mid to late rounds (or for not a huge price at auction) and could have a nice upside. Thoughts? What is his upside this season? 900 and 6 TDs? Or bigger?

I have him at 61 rec. 975 yds and 5 tds. Definitely a sleeper candidate.

Yes, I think Holmes is a great candidate to have a solid season. He came on very strong during the last 6 games of the season. He should continue to improve. Thus far, he has been injured during camp, but, it is minor, and he should be fine.

Yes, I think Holmes is a great candidate to have a solid season. He came on very strong during the last 6 games of the season. He should continue to improve. Thus far, he has been injured during camp, but, it is minor, and he should be fine.

What's the injury, Menudo?

It is not often you see a rookie WR go for over 800 yards. I expect 1100 yards from him this year if he don't do anything crazy enough to get himself suspended.

He did have some legal matters post-draft (both charges were later dropped, but, you know how that is). However, since arriving at camp last year, coaches and players alike have stated that he has been a model citizen and a hard worker. Hopefully his post-college troubles set him straight and he will continue to work hard and keep out of trouble.

That is the strange thing, I haven't heard of what the specific injury is. He is listed as recovering from an undisclosed procedure that is non-football related.... : :D The good news is that he practiced yesterday. Here is an article from last Friday regarding Holmes injury.

:D

Steelers Notebook: Holmes aching to get back to practice

Friday, July 27, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward knows all about missing portions of training camp with an injury. It happened to him last year when he injured his hamstring during camp and didn't play in any of the preseason games.

After a slow start to the regular season in which he caught 18 passes in the first five games, Ward said it wasn't until Week 6 in Atlanta that he started feeling fully healthy and ready to play at his four-time Pro Bowl level again.,

That's why he's hoping wide receiver Santonio Holmes, last year's No. 1 pick, out with an undisclosed injury, doesn't miss too much of training camp.

"It was difficult for me, the time I missed," Ward said. "This is where all the timing is developed, the regimen we're going through with two-a-days to get your body in shape. Last year, when I missed all of camp, my body never got going till right before the Atlanta game."

Holmes has not practiced since the start of camp because he is recovering from an undisclosed procedure that is non-football related. Yesterday, he stood in one spot of the practice field and caught one-handed passes with each hand from one of the conditioning coaches.

Afterward, he said he has "no idea" when he will return to practice, only that he has to "listen to the doctors, and if they say take time off, I have to take time off."

Holmes added, "It's very frustrating, knowing I have to sit out and can't help the team right now."

Big things are expected of Holmes this season after the way he finished 2006. In his final four games, he caught 16 passes for 320 yards, including a 67-yard touchdown pass in the season finale in Cincinnati. He also returned a punt 67 yards for a score against Carolina. By the end of the season, Holmes was splitting time with the team's starting split end, Cedrick Wilson.

"I'm more excited about getting more opportunities to help the team this year," Holmes said

Asked if the injury is a setback, he said, "I don't think so. I don't think having to sit out a couple days, a week, however many days it is, will set me back."

All they have said was that is was a minor surgical procedure that was not football related. I am debating if I am going to take a ride up to Latrobe this afternoon for Steelers training camp. If I do go I will post if he practices or not today.

Vascectomy?

Lasik?

Appendix?

Tonsils?

They have not said at all. What ever the procedure is they are keeping it quiet. edited to add .. they are also saying that whatever it is it is not serious and will not affect his play this season.

Edited by max

Went to camp today. Holmes did practice today. He was fielding punts and played WR during 11 on 11 drills. He was running with the 2nd team today. Ward, Wilson and Washington were running with the 1st team. You could tell that Holmes was a little rusty. It was obvious that he was not running full speed. Also, his routes were not very crisp. The good thing is that he is back on the practice field and should be up to par in plenty of time for the regular season.

Went to camp today. Holmes did practice today. He was fielding punts and played WR during 11 on 11 drills. He was running with the 2nd team today. Ward, Wilson and Washington were running with the 1st team. You could tell that Holmes was a little rusty. It was obvious that he was not running full speed. Also, his routes were not very crisp. The good thing is that he is back on the practice field and should be up to par in plenty of time for the regular season.

Thanks max! :D

i was pleasantly surprised at how well he played at receiver in his rookie year. i didnt expect him to be nfl ready that soon, coming out as a junior, not having freakish physical abilities, and missing mini camp because of school... but boy was i wrong. i guess he should only improve, not having to split time with cedrick wilson anymore.. he gets to rep with the first team all training camp and preseason also, unlike last year.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI:

Since getting back on the field at the end of July, Holmes has been looking very good.

In the first preseason game he ran with the 2nd team offense for a little while but ended up wit 3 receptions for 48 yards and 1 TD. Not bad at all for a partial game.

In the 2nd game he also played with the 2nd team offense for a little while and he ended up with 1 reception for 49 yards. Nothing super impressive from a stats standpoint but he was open quite a bit as well as running good routes. He is getting good seperation from the DB's as well.

In the 3rd game he got to play with the 1st team offense and IMO he was the one highlight of the night with the starting offense. He ended with 2 receptions for 51 yards. He was open a lot. Once in the endzone and Roethlisberger simply overthrew him. With the 2 catches he did get he caught short passes and picked up some good yards after the catch.

They have also been putting him back to return punts on occasion. At this point I would consider Holmes as a nice potential fantasy football #2 WR from what I have seen this month. He is running solid routes. When something isn't available, for Roethlisberger or whomever is at QB when he is in, he is doing a good job finding the pocket in the coverage and getting open. He is also catching the ball well and taking advantage of the balls that are coming his way.

Just thought I would throw my observations on Holmes out there.

Edited by max

As a purely objective opinion, I really like Holmes this year. I expect him to be one of the rare second year breakout wide recievers. The kid has all the tools, a very solid QB and a new offensive scheme that should favor the pass a bit more.

As a purely objective opinion, I really like Holmes this year. I expect him to be one of the rare second year breakout wide recievers. The kid has all the tools, a very solid QB and a new offensive scheme that should favor the pass a bit more.

Snagged him up in the 8th round in the Huddle Ladder draft. Hope you and I are both right and that he does breakout. Otherwise it could be a long year with Him as my #3 and my other sleeper WR drafted in the 6th Mark Clayton.

I agree. I am even considering picking him up and my general rule, even as a Steelers homer, is not to draft Steelers offensive players.

Got him in my 10-team local keeper league last night as my FOURTH WR. I was pretty happy about that. Check out this crew:

Steve Smith

Wayne (keeper)

Andre Johnson

Holmes

Kevin Curtis

I am targeting Holmes and Curtis as my 3rd and 4th WR. I think Curtis has great potential this year too. He seems to have great chemistry with McNabb.

Yes, Holmes continues to impress. Steeler fans could see this coming, as he was getting better and better during the 2nd half of the season. He is going to be the real deal. However, there were those on Pittsburgh Radio this weekend saying he is the new #1 WR for the Steelers. In my opinion, people need to relax that thought. Hines Ward will still be the leading receiver on this team, and the leading fantasy producer from the WR position. However, with an opened up Steelers offense, their will be room for two producing WR's in that offense, and Holmes will put up some numbers and is the Steelers biggest deep threat in the passing game. He could end up being a steal as a #3 WR in fantasy leagues.