[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicago Bears Training Camp News

Goopster24

Here is a quick report from camp yesterday from the beat reporter for ESPN 1000 Chicago, where I am interning this summer. About eight minutes long.

Training camp report from July 30

If you can't listen to it, here is the jist of it.

• Greg Olsen has really been wowing his teammates, fans, and reporters. So far in camp, there have been lots of instances where Turner has lined up both Clark and Olsen for the same play. Lovie is wondering how teams will treat Olsen, more like a wide receiver or a true tight end. Next to Urlacher and Grossman, Olsen is the next favorite player of the fans.

• Mark Bradley is healthy for the first time since his rookie season and has been outstanding. The Bears will be keeping six receivers on the roster including Hester.

• Mike Hass, the wide out from Oregon State, has been catching everything thrown his way. He might get cut because Lovie leans towards more overall athletic players. Hass is a smart football player but might not be fast enough.

• Lovie's camp has been coming under fire by some national media outlets as being too easy. The players are fine with it because Lovie takes care of them and their bodies. They did their redzone offense yesterday and there was a little more contact then usual, but nothing crazy.

• The battle of safeties is getting interesting. Chris Harris or Brandon McGowan will probably get cut. They have six right now. Brown, Archuleta, and Manning will all make the roster. Kevin Payne will stay on the roster by default as a rookie and they are very high on him.

• Archuleta has a lot to prove. Stuff went very bad in Washington and he is ready with the coaching staff and playing style he enjoys. He has a lot to prove.

I will be at training camp on Thursday and we are going to be interviewing Jerry Angelo so that should be an interesting interview. If anyone wants me to lookout for something specific during the practice, let me know. 40 days till we kick it off in San Diego!

• Greg Olsen has really been wowing his teammates, fans, and reporters. So far in camp, there have been lots of instances where Turner has lined up both Clark and Olsen for the same play. Lovie is wondering how teams will treat Olsen, more like a wide receiver or a true tight end. Next to Urlacher and Grossman, Olsen is the next favorite player of the fans.

Since when is Grossman a fan favorite of Bears fans? I always thought he was the complete opposite after last years interception problem he seemed to have.

Since when is Grossman a fan favorite of Bears fans? I always thought he was the complete opposite after last years interception problem he seemed to have.

He has a lot of support and is well liked. At camp whenever he comes out, he gets some of the biggest cheering. The guy is liked, plain and simple. Whether that translates to success on the field is another story.

He has a lot of support and is well liked. At camp whenever he comes out, he gets some of the biggest cheering. The guy is liked, plain and simple. Whether that translates to success on the field is another story.

Damn fair weathered fans...

:D

Ha, for the record, I have always been behind Rex for the most part.

haha... I like the little disclaimer... "for the most part"...

They were praising him yesterday on Sirius. They reported from Bears camp there, and they expect him to have a hugh year this season. We shall see... He has the weapons for sure...

Astute observation.....but it is meme. You know...meme....if the media repeats a lie over and over again then it has taken the form of truth. The truth is that most Chicago fans appreciate Grossman because he at least goes for it. All the years we were a dink and dunk team and we finally go vertical....we appreciate the effort and realize it was his first full season. The sports reporters in Chicago are the ones who trashed Grossman because there was pretty much nothing else on this team last year that was performing badly. anyway.....my two cents as a homer.

Astute observation.....but it is meme. You know...meme....if the media repeats a lie over and over again then it has taken the form of truth. The truth is that most Chicago fans appreciate Grossman because he at least goes for it. All the years we were a dink and dunk team and we finally go vertical....we appreciate the effort and realize it was his first full season. The sports reporters in Chicago are the ones who trashed Grossman because there was pretty much nothing else on this team last year that was performing badly. anyway.....my two cents as a homer.

I agree. You can find posts from this time last year where I was ready to dump his ass. Now, I want him to go for it again, this time hopefully showing a bit more poise. I'm not sure if he will, but he won me over last year to have no problem giving him another shot.

Hey Goop! How has Dvorcek been looking? Being a Sooner fan, I'm excited to see how Tommie and Dusty pan out side by side in the NFL.

The only thing I read and heard about him was what Lovie said after the trade for Walker was announced. He said it doesn't affect the position Dvoracek is in and they expect big things from him this year. I have always heard good things about this guy. It looks like next to Harris, it will be a nice little rotation of tackles with Walker, Dvoracek, and Adams. Walker seems like he can be the guy but they are going to want to keep him fresh because they know he can't last the entire season as the starter.

Here is a great read about Dvoracek in today's Sun Time:

Link

Edited by Goopster24

People are always saying that Griese would do so much better than Grossman if he was the starter. Well right now, Griese is getting a huge thumbs down by all the media in Chicago. He has looked awful in training camp, throwing pick after pick.

with olsen, a healthy bradley, berrian, and muhammed......i'd keep hester mainly for returns. let him learn the offense in case of an emergency, but dont risk his health if we have a solid wr crew. imo.

Edited by dmarc117

Part one of training camp report from August 1

Little under ten minutes.

Part two of training camp report from August 1

About five and a half minutes.

Lots of talk about two rookies, Dan Bazuin and Garrett Wolfe. Bazuin has a inflamed right knee and has been limited in practice and hasn't looked good out there when he is on the field. Lots of Chicago media is speculating that he might get cut but c'mon, this guy is a second round draft pick of the Bears. The first clip includes some great sound from Dan Bazuin and he is very confident in himself, as he should be. Important to remember that Mark Anderson missed almost all of camp last year and people said he might get cut; now he is the starter. Funny how that works. Not a lot to worry about, he is a rookie.

Garrett Wolfe missing time has hurt the Bears. Everybody knows the running back position as a whole is thin after Cedric. They drafted Garrett to be a contributor but he hasn't been able to. Hamstring strains never sound good.

Like I said early, Brian Griese looked terrible last night. He was throwing picks left and right and Orton was fantastic today. He even took reps with the second team. They did a two minute drill and he was 4-4 on it. Granted, he is going against the second team defense, but his confidence is eye, arm strength is good, and he has shown great poise and bounce back ability. The second clip has some good sound from Orton.

Ogunleye has also shown that he is playing with a little chip on his shoulder. Same with Alex Brown. With all these defensive ends now, Ogunleye and Brown know that the young guys are fighting with them for playing time. This is the perfect example of how competition is only going to help this team. Mark Anderson will be on the field plenty this year and he is a guy who is going to have to step up immensely this season.

Wide receivers are continuing to make plays. Pads aren't really on yet, but still. Like said before, they will keep six receivers, five including Hester. The fifth guy won't play that much, but it will be interesting to see who they decide to keep. It's between Mike Hass, the new Tom Waddle, or Brandon Rideau, the gifted true athlete.

An interesting defensive tidbit: Briggs was the lone linebacker in dime packages for the Bears last year because they felt he was better than their fifth or sixth defensive back. Now, they are so deep at that position that they won't need to do that.

Getting ready to go to camp tomorrow morning, will be back tomorrow night to post some of what I saw.