[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Devin Hester

YoungBob

...just for the record, the guy Hester has been running past is Nathan Vasher.

That doesn't really surprise me, as Hester is one fast m'fer. That said, being fast doesn't translate into being a good WR, much less a good fantasy WR. And considering that Hester is no higher than fourth on the depth chart right now, it's difficult for me to get excited about him (unless I'm in a league where kick/punt return points are awarded).

...just for the record, the guy Hester has been running past is Nathan Vasher.

So you're saying that Hester has already been moved past at least two of Muhammad, Berrian, & Bradley?

Color me extremely skeptical on that........

Edited by Bronco Billy

So you're saying that Hester has already been moved past at least two of Muhammad, Berrian, & Bradley?

Color me extremely skeptical on that........

Part of the statement made to you about Hester running past Vasher is true. Remember, the Bears don't move around their corner backs. Hester has lined up on Vasher’s side and has ran past him many times, past Mike Brown too.

In another workout, the dynamic playmaker caught a quick pass just over the line of scrimmage and proceeded to leave two Pro Bowl defenders in his wake, bursting past cornerback Nathan Vasher before racing by safety Mike Brown

From here

And I really don’t have a problem with John Clayton comparing Hester to Steve Smith. I just listened to that bit and if people are interested, I can post it up on here. He basically said he looks like Steve Smith, only faster. Beat writers and sports writers make comparisons all the time. Let’s not forget when draft time comes and college players who haven’t played a down are compared to past greats and current greats. Obviously it makes me salivate as a Bears fan when someone says Steve Smith and Hester in the same sentence, but I would be cautioned too. That said, Hester has only done wonderful things in camp and they haven’t said anything negative about him. Nor would they probably if they thought so.

Here's what Peter King thinks:

Camp Confidential

The Bears have a rock star. His name is Devin Hester.

He went into motion from left to wide right on one play in last night's team work, and the crowd began chattering in anticipation. There is a rising oooooooohhhhHHHHHHHHH from the crowd every time he leaves the line of scrimmage. And at the end of practice, walking off the field, this is what he hears from the fans waiting for autographs, when 80 percent of the team is still without autograph-range:

"We want HESTER! We want HESTER!''

Watching practice with veteran Chicago Tribune scribe John Mullin, he describes Hestermania. "It's not training camp here. It's the Devin Hester Experience. He's like a theme park.''

This is the greatest tribute I can pay to Hester: The Bears selected him 57th overall last year as a cornerback and returner, and he went on to play in 19 games in his rookie season, including the playoffs. He scored seven touchdowns. And this year, the Miami Dolphins picked Ted Ginn Jr., No. 9 overall ... and said the reason they did it, in large part, was because games are so close these days and they have such a good defense. If Ginn can be nearly as impactful as Hester was last year, he'd be the biggest impact player from this draft on a team's 2007 won-loss record.

For now, Hester is moving all over the formation. Strangely, the thing that could help him a lot is having the new tight end, Greg Olsen. Olsen could move out to the slot occasionally and take up a safety's attention because he's too fast for most linebackers to play. Hester has shown good hands so far, and a fearlessness the Bears knew about due to his daring return ability. But there's no lock he'll be able to make the transition. "He's put in the time he needed this offseason and really learned the position,'' Smith said. "He's made the position so much more competitive for us.''

Now we'll see if that translates into being a good fourth receiver.

And considering that Hester is no higher than fourth on the depth chart right now, it's difficult for me to get excited about him (unless I'm in a league where kick/punt return points are awarded).

I had him in a dynasty PPR/IDP league last year that included KR/PR yds.

Since he's now only listed as a WR and it's a PPR, he has virtually no value (he might be the 40th best scoring receiver).

As a CB (also eligible in a defensive flex spot), he was a god send.

I had him in a dynasty PPR/IDP league last year that included KR/PR yds.

Since he's now only listed as a WR and it's a PPR, he has virtually no value (he might be the 40th best scoring receiver).

Screw how he's "listed", I'd petition my commish to manually adjust his weekly numbers to include his KR/PR yards.

Will also need to make note that I would be better off hitting taco bell after the plane ride. Would not be fair to the other passengers unless they are all Bear fans (or Vikings).

No worries gents, I'm already in L.A. and I had a breakfast burrito. Never fear. Or...be very very afraid.

Screw how he's "listed", I'd petition my commish to manually adjust his weekly numbers to include his KR/PR yards.

He still gets the KR/PR points as a WR but now you can only start him at WR.

Since it's PPR, he's now thrown into a much deeper pool of points versus the very small pool of high scoring CBs. There's also other WRs that exclusively do KR/PR as well.

I haven't read the entire thread but I'll add my .02. I would draft Hester as a WR but only late and only if my roster had room to let him sit there and develop into a NFL WR. He has the speed and runs pretty good routes, but I want to see him in traffic and with an NFL DB covering him play in and play out. He was a stud in college but even there his main usage was as a PR/KR where he really improved field position for the team. That is a great equalizer even in the NFL and the Bears might not want to burn him out at WR and lose that advantage. I could see him getting maybe 8-10 plays a game at WR.

more steve smith comparisons ... this is looking like a decent late round flyer.

Camp tour: Bears drooling about Hester

By Steve Greenberg - SportingNews

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- I went to a meeting of the Devin Hester fan club Saturday night, and a Chicago Bears practice broke out.

Hester, you may have heard by now, will get to play some wideout for the Bears this season. At the first night practice of camp, the biggest star on the field -- judging by crowd reaction -- was the guy who opened Super Bowl 41 with an unforgettable bang. The crowd surged with excitement every time Hester touched the ball; no one else, not Brian Urlacher, not Tommie Harris, not sleek rookie tight end Greg Olsen, caused half the uproar.

It had nothing to do with kick returns, either. The hottest topic at Bears camp -- and there are several juicy story lines (how nice to see you again, Mr. Briggs) -- is the impact that Hester, who played cornerback at Miami (Fla.), could have on the defending NFC champs' offense.

"Maybe Steve Smith," says offensive coordinator Ron Turner when asked if he has ever been around a player as explosive and dynamic as Hester. "That would be the only other guy."

On deep routes, Hester beat every defensive back he could find Saturday. But his long ball potential is not what excites the Bears the most. Hester runs sharp routes and has good hands; with his open-field ability, he can be used in nearly any way Turner can cook up.

For a player who was a failed offensive experiment at Miami because, rumor has it, he couldn't learn the playbook, Hester clearly has been working overtime to make this chance count.

"He's an unbelievable athlete, and he catches the ball really great," quarterback Rex Grossman says. "But nothing surprises me with him. He's a great football player."