[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers camp update 7/31

PaulOttCarruth

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

signing Dillon makes perfect sense: great at blocking, has a nose for the end zone, and you can rotate Jackson/Morency as the change of pace since neither are really big backs....

if Green Bay is trying to win this year, they should get Dillon.

It'll be interesting to see if Dillon plays anywhere this season. If they're talkiing at all, Ted Thompson is probably waiting till the very last minute to pitch a reasonable deal at Dillon. When he (edit: Dillon) has no other options. I have a hard time believing he wants to play in GB.

Edited by Sturphy

Couple of weeks for sure...despite what I read above, I'd be shocked if Jackson wasn't the opening day starter, simply because Morency won't be healthy.

Herron is still there. He isn't maybe as fast or as nifty, but he makes the correct reads in the system, gets what is there, and is assignment-sure in the passing game - whether that means running the right pass route or picking up a blitzing LB.

If Morency's injury lingers and Jackson continues to struggle in pass pro, Herron could be a nice late-round value.

I wanted to draft him and hope he pans out....along with Marshawn Lynch....but I am not sold on either of these 2 right now at all when it comes to drafting at all......

unless they slide down to a reasonable draft spot..

I don't think it's fair to compare the two. By all accounts, Lynch is having a stellar camp and Jackson doesn't have his experience.

Jackson has been sliding down my rankings as well though, and this is in keeper leagues where the RB talent is pretty thin to begin with.

I don't think it's fair to compare the two. By all accounts, Lynch is having a stellar camp and Jackson doesn't have his experience.

Jackson has been sliding down my rankings as well though, and this is in keeper leagues where the RB talent is pretty thin to begin with.

I wasn't comparing the 2...I am just saying they slipped...

I had Jackson at least 10 spots lower than Lynch...

but they are the 2 new starting backs to slip for me..

Edited by Avernus

Herron is still there. He isn't maybe as fast or as nifty, but he makes the correct reads in the system, gets what is there, and is assignment-sure in the passing game - whether that means running the right pass route or picking up a blitzing LB.

If Morency's injury lingers and Jackson continues to struggle in pass pro, Herron could be a nice late-round value.

I thought Herron was hurt (broken ankle)?

A lot of people in my dynasty league were probably scratching their heads when I picked up Herron off waivers last season, and held him through the offseason, and didn't dump him before the rookie draft.....or after. But now it is starting to look like there is a method to my madness.

This one is very frustrating to me. I'm my local keeper, he's the kind of guy that could slip fairly deep in the draft and might be worth a pick up. Every time I read something about him he's either "looking great in camp", or "horrible at pass blocking". Reports are so up and down about him, I'm not sure if he's even worth a draft slot, or not.

I wasn't comparing the 2...I am just saying they slipped...

I had Jackson at least 10 spots lower than Lynch...

but they are the 2 new starting backs to slip for me..

Gotcha.

I also agree with NAUgrad. First I read the quotes above saying that Jackson isn't cutting it, then I get an update from the Huddle this morning saying that he's having a great camp and performed solidly in the first preseason game. Now I'm not at camp, but I was tracking his stats during that preason game and he was doing horribly until he broke off a decent run or two later in the 2nd half when the Steelers were basically playing guys that are fighting for jobs.

Also, if you can't pass protect AT ALL, you're probably not going to see the field very often regardless of how talented you are.

Edited by tomfin2000

IIRC, his inability to protect the QB is largely what kept Larry Johnson on the sidelines his first year or two. Yeah, I know that Holmes was THE MAN back then, but if you can't protect the QB you don't get on the field.

Well, that's about all Franks seems to be good for anymore, so why not?

Oh wait...he had some amaziing catch in camp yesterday! :D

Bubba used to be so money. Argh.

Tangent, sorry: uh...Jackson...yeah...he'll come around.

He appears to be reasonable at catching the ball. He also seems to get 1 passing rep almost every 11 on 11 drill. :D

Edit: Where he throws a pass I mean.

have u ever eaten cheese.... :wacko:

Well, now what do we do about Brandon Jackson after last night's performance? He ran well, he caught the ball, and he seemed to be doing fine in pass protection. It's very tough to get a read on this guy. Now I'm starting to think the talent actually is there and he just needs reps. He's getting those reps now with Morency out, but if he starts having to split time with the first team when Morency gets back, it may stunt his progress to the point where he can't take control of the job. I've got a couple of (established) keeper league drafts coming up this week, so I'm going to have to make a decision on this guy based on what we've seen so far. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. Thoughts?

from cbs

News: Packers rookie RB Brandon Jackson took most of the first-team reps at running back, starting vs. Seattle in Green Bay's second preseason game, and finished with 54 rush yards on 13 carries and a goal-line touchdown with an 11-yard reception. His only gaffe was a dropped screen pass that wouldn't have been very effective anyway. "Right now (Jackson), is our starter," coach Mike McCarthy said after the game. "I think he's getting better with each game. I thought he ran with body lean behind his pads better than he did against Pittsburgh for the whole game. It's something he's working hard on. His pass protection, his blitz pickup, is something that will continue to improve. He's a tough kid, works hard, very talented. I'm happy with the way he's attacked training camp and he's taken full advantage of his opportunities."

From the Journal Sentinel:

Green Bay - You'd have to have a lot of faith in the healing powers of the Green Bay Packers' medical staff to think that anyone but rookie Brandon Jackson will be the starting halfback come opening day.

Jackson has started both exhibition games, and after posting a respectable 13-carry, 54-yard, one-touchdown performance in the Packers' 48-13 victory Saturday night over the Seattle Seahawks, there's little reason to think he won't be No. 1 on the depth chart the rest of training camp.

Jackson's main competition, Vernand Morency, isn't ready to return to the field, and so the rookie from Nebraska will go into the third exhibition game poised to handle most of the running duties. General manager Ted Thompson said he thought rookie DeShawn Wynn (thigh) was still day-to-day and was not guaranteed of returning for the Jacksonville game Thursday, leaving Jackson, rookie Corey White and veteran Noah Herron to handle the rushing load.

It was supposed to be a two-man race between Jackson and Morency, but it has turned out to be no race at all.

"Right now, he's definitely way ahead because the other guy unfortunately hasn't competed at all," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "There's really no comparison at this stage."

To many observers, including Packers coach Mike McCarthy and Philbin, Jackson ran with better balance and fewer steps as he made his cuts into the hole, but Thompson said he didn't see anything different in Jackson than he did a week earlier at Pittsburgh. It appeared Jackson had far better success running the ball and was also more stout in his pass protection against Seattle, though some of that might have had to do with the overall performance of the offense.

Asked if he saw a difference in Jackson from the Pittsburgh game to the Seattle game, Thompson said Sunday: "Not that I could tell. He looks the same to me. He's quick, he has strong lowers, strong hands and runs hard. I'd have to say he looked the same. But we're liking what we see."

Buried in the article about Bigby getting the SS job(his job to lose) is this.

A source close to the situation said cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson had been lobbying the coaches for Bigby to replace Manuel, a player whom they apparently no longer trusted.

Buried in the article about Bigby getting the SS job(his job to lose) is this.

A source close to the situation said cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson had been lobbying the coaches for Bigby to replace Manuel, a player whom they apparently no longer trusted.

Good. Manuel sucks.