[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kitna

mroban

If he plays all year, he won't be a bust, but he's not flying under anyone's radar this year so his value is a little diluted.

He certainly could be a top 5 qb. But I'm willing to bet that he's also a 5th or 6th rounder in most leagues. In other words, you'll have to let that RB3 or WR2 go by to get him, unless you're playing with pansies.

Right. Some of you guys are missing the point. I agree that if he does play the whole season he should put up very good numbers (certainly top 10) but I just think there are many intangibles that make that scenario far from a lock.

Im just trying to get us thinking outside the ESPN Cheat Sheets a bit.

If Detroit has a crappy start and is out of playoff contention by mid-season, why stick with Kitna? He obviously would be better than the other guys, but it wont be about that then, will it?

With Kitna, you get to wait until the 6th or 7th round to take a quarterback. Back him up well fairly early (10th round) with a quality backup and enjoy the ride.

Can anything Kitna does really be considered a bust at this point in his career? I traded FOR Kitna in a keeper league, and he is currently on every roster I have drafted, so I can't tell you how wrong I hope you are. :D

I agree here. But you do need to back him up in case of the scenario I laid out. And notice that I too have him in keeper league. I may actually keep him with Brady just for pure value.

I have no problem rolling with Kitna as my starting QB. What's not to like? A ton of passing yards and weapons galore to throw to. BUT since the word is out, I'm guessing his stock keeps going up and he keeps getting drafted earlier and earlier. Then I say no and switch to plan B and go after someone else. If you can nab him late (7th round or higher) your roster should be loaded with good RB's and WR's. Overall, I'm looking for about the same numbers as last year and hoping for less turnovers. The Lions have to be able to improve from last year right?

I have no problem rolling with Kitna as my starting QB. What's not to like? A ton of passing yards and weapons galore to throw to. BUT since the word is out, I'm guessing his stock keeps going up and he keeps getting drafted earlier and earlier. Then I say no and switch to plan B and go after someone else. If you can nab him late (7th round or higher) your roster should be loaded with good RB's and WR's. Overall, I'm looking for about the same numbers as last year and hoping for less turnovers. The Lions have to be able to improve from last year right?

Im thinking most likely he puts up the same numbers as last year. But I sitll think there is some risk in the situation. Having said all that, I was mostly just curious what others thought. Drafting him in the 7th round is a really good idea. I just think lots of players in your league are likely thinking "lets wait and draft Kitna in the 7th round". Then someone will panic and draft him in the 4th round. Of course, if everyone is waiting for Kitna that means you might get Brady or Brees in the 5th round.

Im thinking most likely he puts up the same numbers as last year. But I sitll think there is some risk in the situation. Having said all that, I was mostly just curious what others thought. Drafting him in the 7th round is a really good idea. I just think lots of players in your league are likely thinking "lets wait and draft Kitna in the 7th round". Then someone will panic and draft him in the 4th round. Of course, if everyone is waiting for Kitna that means you might get Brady or Brees in the 5th round.

I wouldn't think he should go as early as the 4th round but will be drafted before the 7th in most leagues.

I think Kurt Warner's career could best be described as a journeyman QB - if you discount the years that he was the starting QB in a Martz offense.

I'd have to disagree. A journeyman is someone who bounces around a lot and is mediocre for the most part. Warner lit it up for 2-3 years with the Rams and went to two SB's. Wasn't he also an MVP? Kitna is unlikely to reach Warner's passing levels and NFL success.

Exactly. That's why I love drafting late and observing how previous drafts play out.

I'd have to disagree. A journeyman is someone who bounces around a lot and is mediocre for the most part. Warner lit it up for 2-3 years with the Rams and went to two SB's. Wasn't he also an MVP? Kitna is unlikely to reach Warner's passing levels and NFL success.

Fair points, however, Warner was all over the place and BB did say that for the most part he was a journeyman QB if you discount the years with the Rams in the Martz offense.

I'm looking for him in the 6th or so if I'm happy with my 3RBs and 2WRs (and there is nobody better left). It all depends on how the knuckle heads in my draft work, but we'll see how it plays out in a few weeks. I'll wait until 7 if I think its possible and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on him then. If him and some other good options are still on the board in the 6th and I like my first 5 picks...I'd probably pull the trigger on Bulger, Brees, or even Mcnabb (although I still question Mcnabbs durability obviously) and consider it a safer pick. Preseason will help sort some of this out for me at least.

Fair points, however, Warner was all over the place and BB did say that for the most part he was a journeyman QB if you discount the years with the Rams in the Martz offense.

Yeah but that's like saying Ray Lewis is a model citizen if you discount the murder incident he was involved in or Mike Vick loves dogs if you discount the fact he's involved in dog fighting.

Uh, yeah, thanks. That's the whole point I'm trying to make. A journeyman QB is one who puts up such pedestrian numbers that teams don't feel the need to lock them into long contracts - they are expendable.

How did Warner's numbers look in NY & AZ compared to his STL numbers? Yeah, he lit it up with the Rams - hence the entire point I'm trying to make. In other venues, Warner was pedestrian, and no more. With Martz guiding the O, Warner set all-time NFL standards for QBs passing the football.

Get it?

I'll have some of the Kitna Kool-Aid this season. He's got some talent around him at the skill positions (provided KJ is healthy) and the Lions can afford to take chances down the field (if only for aesthetic purposes). I think he could be lightning in a bottle.

Uh, yeah, thanks. That's the whole point I'm trying to make. A journeyman QB is one who puts up such pedestrian numbers that teams don't feel the need to lock them into long contracts - they are expendable.

How did Warner's numbers look in NY & AZ compared to his STL numbers? Yeah, he lit it up with the Rams - hence the entire point I'm trying to make. In other venues, Warner was pedestrian, and no more. With Martz guiding the O, Warner set all-time NFL standards for QBs passing the football.

Get it?

I'm thinking, No!! I tried to help explaining but to no avail.