[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vince Young

Yes, I agree, the jury is still out him, its his second camp! The point is he is already showing leadership skills and the team is already ralying around him. It takes some guys years to do this, and others never do. And when I was saying Vince's mechanics arent as important as his intagibles I wasnt really referring to Vick as much as I was guys like Couch, Leaf, and the host of other guys whose mechanics look great but cant lead a team or win in the NFL. Who know's if Young will or not. But I highly doubt his delivery will be the reason he succeeds or not. And you cannot judge his future by his rookie year completion percentage.

Leaf didn't last because he couldn't read defenses and didn't put in the time necessary to learn how to. I'd like to think that Vince is not as immature (and the evidence suggests that he's not) but, again, we'll have to wait and see.

I disagree with Seahawks21 that Vince's mechanics will doom him. Rich Gannon threw sidearm and was a pretty good QB by the late '90s. That said, I think that Vince has more mechanical flaws than Gannon, so we'll see what happens.

I'd like to see Vince succeed. With Favre retiring and Peyton/Brady/McNabb entering the second half of their respective careers and McNair just about done, the NFL needs a young stud QB. Plus, it'd be really nice to see another John Elway.

He had the highest QB Rating the NCAA his last year at Texas. His incompletions and interceptions last year can be largely contributed to being a rookie, learning a new offense, and seeing multiple looks on defenses in a game. He will come along. How many other rookies have played in a Pro Bowl?

QB rating is not the best measure of a passer in college. Vick led the country in passer rating in '99. I believe it had to do with his ridiculous yard per completion rate as he almost exclusively threw bombs.

I think the NCAA calculates passer rating differently???

Anyways, the better college stat is the number of reps and Young's progression (he improved in each of his 3 years as a passer at UT).

At VTech, Vick attempted 360 passes to 262 rushes and never did better than 60% completion rate.

At UT, Young attempted 718 passes to 457 rushes, increased his completion rate each year, and finished his UT career with a 61% completion rate (65 in his final year).

If Vick played a third year and averaged the same number of pass attempts, he would've attempted only 530 passes.

Young went through progressions extremely well at UT. His WRs and his TEs BOTH did well. Even his RBs caught a few passes.

Edited by kingfish247

When it is college and the whole field is concerned with how fast you are, you are going to get plenty of wide open receivers and an opportunity to complete lots of passes. I'm just saying that there has not been a successful NFL QB in the last 20 years with such a horrendous natural throwing motion. As for the Favre comment, he has some of the best natural mechanics in history, so I'm not sure where you are taking that. I'm not saying the Titans can't be good with Vince, I'm not even saying Vince can't be extremely effective, I'm just saying he will never be accurate or efficient in the short passing game with that motion. Because of Vick's athleticism, he has got wide open receivers all day long in the NFL. If Young can be just slightly more accurate than Vick, there is an opportunity to put up very big passing numbers, but it will never be because Vince Young was throwing dimes all over the field.

When it is college and the whole field is concerned with how fast you are, you are going to get plenty of wide open receivers and an opportunity to complete lots of passes.

Check some Vince Young highlights.

He gets the ball off with multiple defenders hanging off of him.

Also see how many WRs, and TEs, were "wide open"... even at UT.

When it is college and the whole field is concerned with how fast you are, you are going to get plenty of wide open receivers and an opportunity to complete lots of passes. I'm just saying that there has not been a successful NFL QB in the last 20 years with such a horrendous natural throwing motion. As for the Favre comment, he has some of the best natural mechanics in history, so I'm not sure where you are taking that. I'm not saying the Titans can't be good with Vince, I'm not even saying Vince can't be extremely effective, I'm just saying he will never be accurate or efficient in the short passing game with that motion. Because of Vick's athleticism, he has got wide open receivers all day long in the NFL. If Young can be just slightly more accurate than Vick, there is an opportunity to put up very big passing numbers, but it will never be because Vince Young was throwing dimes all over the field.

You're talking out of your angus. :D

Your earlier statement was quite clear and now you're hedging.

Favre routinely throws off his back foot and passes in unconventional way. And I love him to death.

Is Philip Rivers doomed to never being "extremely effective" or "efficient in the short passing game" because he has such a screwy motion? And his motion is just as bad frankly.

The first time i saw Young play I noticed his throwing motion immediately, as did, I'm assuming, everyone else. I also noticed, however, that he has a fairly quick release, he places the ball so as to not break his receivers stride, and he often goes through his progressions. In short he does pretty much what a Q.B. is supposed to do, just not in the prettiest fashion.

Ultimately I believe many guys fail to get chances when they are not prototypical. That's unfortunate as the league is replete with guys who are too small, too slow, or otherwise awkward, who are good to great producers. I guess I'm saying I believe in "gamers". I leave open the possibility that Young may be one. Sometimes trying to read the tea leaves causes one to miss the flavor of the beverage.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

You're talking out of your angus. :D

Your earlier statement was quite clear and now you're hedging.

Favre routinely throws off his back foot and passes in unconventional way. And I love him to death.

Is Philip Rivers doomed to never being "extremely effective" or "efficient in the short passing game" because he has such a screwy motion? And his motion is just as bad frankly.

With Brett Favre, I use the major league baseball example. Favre's natural mechanics are SO GOOD that it allows him to be able to get away with throwing off his back foot or throw a jump-pass on the run, much as major league baseball players can hit the ball out using swings that college and minor league players run laps for using. Rivers release is infinitely more attractive than that of Vince Young, but yes, the same thing applies. Rivers could not run a true version of the west coast offense as effectively as his predecessors with clean releases. Now, I like Rivers a lot, and he is very good at what he does, but it is a lot easier to push the ball to a pair of 6'6" receivers than it is to squeeze little slants in between two linebackers to a 5'11 receiver. Call me a purist, but until I see somebody with such an ugly release be effective in the short passing game, I am going to stay in wait-and-see mode.

Are you an NFL QB coach?

Where does it say you need good mechanics to run the WCO?

Rich Gannon?

Rich Gannon?? Coaches teach his mechanics. And no, I am not, but I was a QB for a dozen years and a QB coach for five more, although clearly not on the professional level. It may be possible to have flawed mechanics and still be efficient, but not when they are as horrible as Young's are. He places the ball. If he throws harder, it sails. This is consistent with someone with his particular motion flaws. If he does not fix this, which I am not assuming he will, he will sail short passes. Period.

Rich Gannon?? Coaches teach his mechanics. And no, I am not, but I was a QB for a dozen years and a QB coach for five more, although clearly not on the professional level. It may be possible to have flawed mechanics and still be efficient, but not when they are as horrible as Young's are. He places the ball. If he throws harder, it sails. This is consistent with someone with his particular motion flaws. If he does not fix this, which I am not assuming he will, he will sail short passes. Period.

Fair enough. I wish you'd said this in your first statement. You probably do too. Would have saved us both some typing.