[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeAngelo v. DeShaun

kingfish247

So a few Huddlers have said that it's too early in TC and while that's true, Deshaun is still running with the 1st team.

I'm just opening this for discussion amongst all Huddlers and Panther Homers as it seems that Williams getting the starting nod is an absolute certainty amongst FFers.

Conventional wisdom says that Deangelo (2nd year, former 1st round pick) will be the starter. Many people believe this to be true just as it was thought to happen sometime last year. It's even been predicted by Charlotte Observer/Panthers beat-writer, Yasinskas...

:D

3. DeShaun Foster will open training camp as the starting running back. DeAngelo Williams will end camp as the starting running back. Remember, Fox will give the nod to the veteran at the start. But it became obvious at the end of last season that Williams was the better runner. This will play out as camp goes on.

Then there's an article/quote like this which leads me to believe Carolina is likely to end up somewhere in the middle again this year... Foster and Williams sharing equally. This scenario didn't turn out well for either runner last season. It also didn't bode well for the offense either however now there's a new scheme and coordinator.

:wacko:

Gross: New scheme to help put Foster in zone

There's been a lot of talk about how the new zone-blocking scheme will benefit the offensive linemen and second-year running back DeAngelo Williams, but there's another player who could benefit just as much. Although there's been a lot of speculation that Williams will take over as the feature back, DeShaun Foster is working as the starter.

Foster is entering his sixth season, and at least one teammate thinks the new offense is putting the running back in a position to succeed for the first time.

"He's kind of had a monkey on his back since he's been here," tackle Jordan Gross said. "He hasn't fit the type of plays we've called for him. He's done a great job with what he has been given. It's obvious that he's real excited now and he's ready to cut it loose. He feels healthy. He's had the best offseason he's had since I've been here."

:D discuss

The more I think about this, the more this situation scares me. I just get the feeling that Foster is going to continue to be the #1 until he gets injured. I'm wondering if Fox isn't sometimes too loyal to his players.

The good news is that I'll be Williams is going way before Foster in drafts, and therefore should be able to be picked up late. As a matter of fact, when Foster starts the season as the #1, he is great trade bait because he won't end up the #1.

Edited by NAUgrad

Yeah, I made the mistake of drafting both these guys last season. Boat anchors.

That's all supposed to change with the zone blocking but I wondered as you are about who would actually start this season. Williams is all the hype.

All the speculation does bode well for picking up Foster late in the draft.

I think it's just too early to tell. Couple preseason games maybe? :D

Fox did the same thing when Stephen Davis was old and washed up - they had fresh young legs in Foster, yet Davis was the starter. It appears Fox is a very loyal coach and I personally see Foster as the starter until he gets hurt. Not saying it is the best move but that's what I think will happen

:D the fact that we even need to have this conversation is really upsetting to me. I dont see why for any reason Foster would even be considered for anything other than a backup job. I can only hope that Fox and co are just trying to play on their past mistakes and make everyone expect Foster, when Williams is actually the starter day 1.

Everyone here knows i hate Foster, but this is not based on my hatred of him. I can not honestly believe that a new OC, and the obvious better running Williams did last year would lead anywhere ELSE BUT to Williams as the starter, and my daddy in '07. But we shall see, i suppose.

This is starting to border on sickening. Somebody is going to have to come up with a better explanation before I will believe anything other than Fox is in Foster's pockets. I'm as close to speechless as I get. Was the Panther brass not at the Philly game watching Deangelo?? Were they not at the other 15 watching Foster?? Somebody needs to be fired and/or shot.

This going to play out in the PS contest and I beleive Williams will emerge as the RB1a, as it's going to be a true RBBC. There will also be alot of screen passes to both as well, so factor some PPR into it if you have that in your scoring system etc.

i have a gut feeling that CAR realizes that their window is closing, and they need to get more playmakers on the field besides S Smith. Foster is not the short term or long term answer. He is best at 8-10 carries a game, and Williams will get the majority in this RBBC (I'm guessing 65/35).

With a new OC, and hopefully a return to health of the OL and Jake, CAR could make some noise, especially considering the favorable schedule...

i have a gut feeling that CAR realizes that their window is closing, and they need to get more playmakers on the field besides S Smith. Foster is not the short term or long term answer. He is best at 8-10 carries a game, and Williams will get the majority in this RBBC (I'm guessing 65/35).

With a new OC, and hopefully a return to health of the OL and Jake, CAR could make some noise, especially considering the favorable schedule...

I have heard this "window closing" thing to much this year......Carolina is not, by a long shot, long in the tooth. In fact, they have gotten younger in the past two seasons at RB, LB, WR, OL, DL and DB and with Carr QB. I find this "window closing" theory quite laugable indeed. All the other players are in their prime at their positions Delhomme, Smith and Peppers, Gross, Wharton, Hartwig,D Lewis, Jenkins and Keomatu.

I am going with Williams. It is clear to everybody EXCEPT John Fox that Foster just isn't going to get it done. But after last season's fiasco Fox has a much narrower margin for error. He may have pictures of Foster hung up over his bed that give him a special feeling before he tucks himself every night. But if he wants to keep his job (and his credibility as an NFL caliber coach) his hand may be forced to give the rock to Deangelo. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part, but I just don't think Fox can continue his ridiculous loyalty to a player that is detrimental to his teams chance of winning.

I'm glad I could make you laugh (reminds me of the old Steve Martin joke: People ask me, Steve, how come you are so funny? And I tell them, each morning I put a slice of baloney in each shoe, that way i feel funny).

I would disagree that Jake is in his prime, and Wharton and Hartwig are coming off season ending injuries last year so we'll have to see if they 100% recovered, and Jenkins missed time in '04 and '05....

And don't forget to add your HC Fox, who is on the hot seat. The new OC should help eliminate some of the predictibility of play calling and snap counts, but if Fox misses the playoffs again in 07 and is let go, wouldn't this particular window be closing?

I'm glad I could make you laugh (reminds me of the old Steve Martin joke: People ask me, Steve, how come you are so funny? And I tell them, each morning I put a slice of baloney in each shoe, that way i feel funny).

I would disagree that Jake is in his prime, and Wharton and Hartwig are coming off season ending injuries last year so we'll have to see if they 100% recovered, and Jenkins missed time in '04 and '05....

And don't forget to add your HC Fox, who is on the hot seat. The new OC should help eliminate some of the predictibility of play calling and snap counts, but if Fox misses the playoffs again in 07 and is let go, wouldn't this particular window be closing?

On the "Hot Seat"? According to who? The Media? Fox is not on the "hot seat" in Carolina. Teams would line-up to have Fox as their HC.

What a difference OC make-Shelton was in the Henning dog house, but Davidson really likes Shelton in short yardage and GL situations and expect some GL vulturism from SHelton this year. He is currently the "very solid" RB3 in Carolina under Davidson.

On the "Hot Seat"? According to who? The Media? Fox is not on the "hot seat" in Carolina. Teams would line-up to have Fox as their HC.

I think he is NOT on the "hot seat" at this point, but I think his seat is a little "warm" and if the team flounders and ends up with a worse record than last year and misses the playoffs for a 2nd straight season.... the "warm seat" may just in fact get "HOT". With the spector of Bill Cowher sitting up the road in Raleigh, Jerry may pounce on the chance to grab Cowher before someone else does.

If we make the playoffs this season... the "warm seat" cools down and he will buy another year or two. We will see, but I think both Fox and Hurney feel some pressure from Jerry and the fans this year.

Also, regardless of what the feelings are on Foster, the past "power running attack" did not fit his style at all and he is also looking pretty good in the "zone blocking scheme" as well. When he gets to shift and pick his holes he is a better RB than in Hennings system. If DF get's a crack of daylight-he's gone. I'd rather have DW as the starter, but Foster will be better as well in this style offense.

I think he is NOT on the "hot seat" at this point, but I think his seat is a little "warm" and if the team flounders and ends up with a worse record than last year and misses the playoffs for a 2nd straight season.... the "warm seat" may just in fact get "HOT". With the spector of Bill Cowher sitting up the road in Raleigh, Jerry may pounce on the chance to grab Cowher before someone else does.

If we make the playoffs this season... the "warm seat" cools down and he will buy another year or two. We will see, but I think both Fox and Hurney feel some pressure from Jerry and the fans this year.

They should, as does the entire team from the feeling I get. The Panthers will be just fine this year in the PO hunt.

I hope you are correct! In this instant gratification society we live in, a very good football team that misses the playoff three out of four years (if they miss again this year) will look to make some changes at either the GM or HC. And I have no doubt that Fox would get another HC position whenever he wanted...