[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

D Stanton out for the season

Randall

The Lions have placed Drew Stanton on injured reserve, ending the former Michigan State quarterback’s season before it began.

The move cleared a roster spot for wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who signed a six-year contract this morning and took the field at training camp for the first time. So the Lions’ second draft pick this year made way for their first pick.

Stanton felt something in his right knee while dropping back Saturday, during the Lions’ third day of practice. The knee swelled up that night, and he had an MRI on Sunday. He had surgery to clean up some cartilage Tuesday morning.

The injury wasn’t serious, but the timing was terrible. It meant Stanton would miss training camp, a critical time in his development. Stanton might be ready physically for the regular season, but he won’t have had the practice he would need to be ready to play.

This means the Lions have decided journeyman J.T. O’Sullivan is probably good enough to make the roster. The Lions haven’t even seen O’Sullivan in an exhibition, but he has been impressive in camp. O’Sullivan will battle Dan Orlovsky for the backup job.

Stanton can’t practice with the team while on injured reserve, but he probably wasn’t going to get many reps anyway during the season. He can still sit in on meetings to learn the offense and work out at team headquarters.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../1049/SPORTS01#

Kitna is now flat out money as if he wasn't already before. No risk of the rookie stepping in.

The injury wasn’t serious, but the timing was terrible. It meant Stanton would miss training camp, a critical time in his development. Stanton might be ready physically for the regular season, but he won’t have had the practice he would need to be ready to play.

Man... I think I'd be pretty ticked if I were him. Missing training camp with a non-serious knee injury leads to missing out on your entire rookie season??? That really stinks.

Man... I think I'd be pretty ticked if I were him. Missing training camp with a non-serious knee injury leads to missing out on your entire rookie season??? That really stinks.

Tell me about it. I didn't think the Lions were so deep at every position and not be able to give him a roster spot. I've got to think the injury is more serious. He is their QB of the future right?

Tell me about it. I didn't think the Lions were so deep at every position and not be able to give him a roster spot. I've got to think the injury is more serious. He is their QB of the future right?

Yeah, they said Martz was really going to take Stanton under his wing this year. Stanton has gotta be bummed.

i doubt stanton would've played this year anyway

I agree with you either way the risk is completely gone now.

It seems like a bigger risk for the Lions to keep him on the active roster. By the time he's healthy, it will be the regular season. Then they'll have a rookie QB who missed all of training camp. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

Yeah, they said Martz was really going to take Stanton under his wing this year. Stanton has gotta be bummed.

I don't see why he should be bummed....

Now he gets a full season with no pressure to step in and perform in a complicated offense. He can just sit back and learn, and then compete for a job next year. I think this is a good thing for him, so long as the knee is minor.

It seems like a bigger risk for the Lions to keep him on the active roster. By the time he's healthy, it will be the regular season. Then they'll have a rookie QB who missed all of training camp. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

Sure, but if he's your #3 QB and supposedly the future of the franchise you'd think he could learn something from holding the clipboard and calling in plays or something like that.

yeah GB them 20+ INTs.

Kita is overrated IMO. This is from someone who owned him last year.

In my one league there are no negative points for INTs.

Kita is overrated IMO. This is from someone who owned him last year.

I think Kitna may generally be getting a little over hyped this year, but as someone who got him consistently late in drafts last year and had him finish near top 5-ish in different formats....I wouldn't use overrated to describe him by any means. In fact, last year's performance to draft value was pretty much what he has done his whole career.

Why not btw? I think INT's should definitely be penalized.

Aw crap...totally hijacking the thread, sry.

Interceptions shouldn't be penalzed because part of the time they are NO fault of the QB. They can be caused by receivers running the wrong route, deflections off of the WR hands, deflections of the DL, being hit by the DL at the time of letting the ball go etc.

Why penalize the QB for something that isn't always a result of his poor play?